Author Topic: Naval museum for the Southbank?  (Read 19668 times)

Noone

Re: Naval museum for the Southbank?
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2011, 05:33:55 AM »
In 6 1/2 hours. on the radio.

Noone

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2011, 10:35:04 AM »
1 1/2 hours on the radio. I'm going to try and tune in. Just a heads up.

acme54321

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »
I guess it was nothing to be concerned about?

Noone

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »
Did you listen to the broadcast? There is still a lot to be concerned about. I hope they are successful.

Ocklawaha

« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2011, 11:04:15 PM »

USS JACKSONVILLE will be looking for a home in a few years.

So where do we land the planes?

PT 95, First of the famous Huckins Yacht 78' boats.

I love the ship as a downtown attraction, the museum is long past due. But like everything else we do in Jacksonville my fear is we'll build it, too little, too late. There is room for the old Tin Can at the Brewing Company marina or over at the planned Aetna marina. Once we're boxed at those tiny locations we'll be on the way to another insignificant, visit once and ho-hum attraction.

Certainly we have to start somewhere, but think 20 years down the road, the Adams is joined by the USS JACKSONVILLE, the planes on exhibit at NAS JAX have found their way downtown. Imagine the PT Boats that were 'invented' in Jacksonville, The USS Maple Leaf and Columbine collection, a scattering of Marine Corps landing craft, tanks and a 12,000 Square foot, state-of-the-art museum building. On either side of the Acosta, the River Walk, Southbank Skyway and surface parking for approximately 258 visitors a day suddenly become issues. Such things would force the whole project to move east perhaps to the JEA property where a simple Riverwalk extension would make the museum the eastern anchor of the Southbank attractions. No matter how much we want this museum near the Acosta Bridge, if it's highly successful as a major attraction, it's got to move for growing space.

OCKLAWAHA

Noone

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2011, 03:08:29 AM »
Last night at city council 2010-675 was introduced which will pave the way to bring the USS Adams to the Southbank. Introduced by Bishop and its not even his district. Sponsored by Johnson and Redman.

Tonight at city council 2011-560 $23,000,000 of unsecured debt Shipyards/Landmar and we will be saying bye,bye to taxpayer dollars. TWENTY THREE MILLION DOLLARS! Do we have any budget problems?

2010-675 was not in Waterways

Tonight I will ask council president Joost if he will send 2011-560 to Waterways the next day at 9:30. 2011-560 was discussed at the Waterways FIND subcommittee meeting Aug. 31, 2011

Scott Wilson and Dist.4 city councilman Don Redman also chair of Waterways and council laison with Downtown Vision can and should request that 2011-560 should be sent to Waterways the next day. Lets just continue to totally destroy the Public Trust.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:11:29 AM by Noone »

Noone

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2011, 03:14:43 AM »
Continuing to spread our attractions and resources too thin hurts all of them.  The sports district is a mile away from the  walkable Northbank core.  Compact connectivity should play a role in where this thing ultimately ends up.  With that said, being immediately adjacent to MOSH, RCB, a restored Friendship Fountain and riverwalk isn't a bad thing.

Agreed.

Lake, Your right. I agree too.

But Lake your killing me. Ock you too. I'll try and tie it in with Hogans Creek and what you guys have posted. Looking forward to what you have to say as well.

Noone

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2011, 03:24:42 AM »

USS JACKSONVILLE will be looking for a home in a few years.

So where do we land the planes?

PT 95, First of the famous Huckins Yacht 78' boats.

I love the ship as a downtown attraction, the museum is long past due. But like everything else we do in Jacksonville my fear is we'll build it, too little, too late. There is room for the old Tin Can at the Brewing Company marina or over at the planned Aetna marina. Once we're boxed at those tiny locations we'll be on the way to another insignificant, visit once and ho-hum attraction.

Certainly we have to start somewhere, but think 20 years down the road, the Adams is joined by the USS JACKSONVILLE, the planes on exhibit at NAS JAX have found their way downtown. Imagine the PT Boats that were 'invented' in Jacksonville, The USS Maple Leaf and Columbine collection, a scattering of Marine Corps landing craft, tanks and a 12,000 Square foot, state-of-the-art museum building. On either side of the Acosta, the River Walk, Southbank Skyway and surface parking for approximately 258 visitors a day suddenly become issues. Such things would force the whole project to move east perhaps to the JEA property where a simple Riverwalk extension would make the museum the eastern anchor of the Southbank attractions. No matter how much we want this museum near the Acosta Bridge, if it's highly successful as a major attraction, it's got to move for growing space.

OCKLAWAHA

Ock, I love the ship as a Downtown attraction. But I have concerns. Now let me take you over to the northbank and this memory that is etched in my brain of you standing on Bay St. with a camera of catching a motely crew of swabbie wantabees kayaking in an urban waterway with some of the biggest smiles and grins that is just telling the world that HEY! Lets Make this Happen. OH and by the way we are next to ANOTHER MUSEUM.

Noone

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2011, 07:37:51 AM »
2010-675 and one Finance amendment. Not in Waterways.
Times Union lead editorial. I've shared with many of you. No taxpayer money.
Why was an amendment attached?

So we have 2011-560 Shipyards/Landmar before the city council. Millions and millions of dollars. What councilmember will have the guts to attach one amendment for just $100,000 that could be used as a future FIND matching grant.

The IRONY!

2010-604 Shipyards/Landmar and look at the poll. A year later and just one lousy amendment. Be concerned.

Noone

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2011, 08:22:59 AM »
This is a logical idea amd long overdue. I hope this gets done soon. My one and only complaint is the location. I think a better location would be closer to the sports complex, maybe somewhere in the shipyards project. Just a thought!

Northbank? Southbank? The group bringing the USS Adams needs money in the bank. Anybody going to the fundraiser at the Omni 6-10 after the Hemming Plaza rally?

Adams2adams.org to register. Its $75 to register. I support the Adams and hope they are successful.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2012, 09:38:14 AM »
Saw this on Yahoo and it immediately reminded me of this thread. 

Now this seems to be more to Jacksonville's liking - we can add a naval muesem and add surface parking at the same time.  As an added bonus, we would have to tear down a bridge in order to get the carrier here in the first place, so it's the Trifecta - demolition, surface parking lot, something else no one will come downtown for - it's a perfect fit.

This aircraft carrier is the world’s most expensive parking lot

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/this-aircraft-carrier-is-the-world%E2%80%99s-most-expensive-parking-lot.html

What you're looking at is the deck of the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan covered in the vehicles of Navy Sailors heading to Naval Base Kitsap in Bremerton, Washington. At a cost of about $4.5 billion this is probably the world's most expensive parking lot.

It may seem phenomenal, but this is actually a common occurrence for the Navy and a lot cheaper and easier than transporting the vehicles almost any other way. The weight of one E-2C Hawkeye is approximately 43,000 pounds, or about 12 cars, and a Nimitz-class carrier usually carries four of those.

But more to the point, this does save the U.S. Navy money. First, the only other way to get vehicles owned by Navy sailors to their final destinations is to put them in another ship. Second, if they didn't send soldiers' vehicles they'd have to pay for transportation at the final destination. Both of which would absolutely would cost more money.

The U.S.S. Ronald recently served in Asia and was en route to Kitsap for upgrades and repairs
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »
Only if it can it be dedicated to the Landing.

Saw this on Yahoo and it immediately reminded me of this thread. 

Now this seems to be more to Jacksonville's liking - we can add a naval muesem and add surface parking at the same time.  As an added bonus, we would have to tear down a bridge in order to get the carrier here in the first place, so it's the Trifecta - demolition, surface parking lot, something else no one will come downtown for - it's a perfect fit.

This aircraft carrier is the world’s most expensive parking lot

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/this-aircraft-carrier-is-the-world%E2%80%99s-most-expensive-parking-lot.html

What you're looking at is the deck of the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan covered in the vehicles of Navy Sailors heading to Naval Base Kitsap in Bremerton, Washington. At a cost of about $4.5 billion this is probably the world's most expensive parking lot.

It may seem phenomenal, but this is actually a common occurrence for the Navy and a lot cheaper and easier than transporting the vehicles almost any other way. The weight of one E-2C Hawkeye is approximately 43,000 pounds, or about 12 cars, and a Nimitz-class carrier usually carries four of those.

But more to the point, this does save the U.S. Navy money. First, the only other way to get vehicles owned by Navy sailors to their final destinations is to put them in another ship. Second, if they didn't send soldiers' vehicles they'd have to pay for transportation at the final destination. Both of which would absolutely would cost more money.

The U.S.S. Ronald recently served in Asia and was en route to Kitsap for upgrades and repairs

Noone

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2012, 10:32:37 PM »
WJXT just did a story on the Adams. Went to the fundraiser last year. I hope they are successful.

Ocklawaha

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2012, 08:40:45 AM »
This is a logical idea amd long overdue. I hope this gets done soon. My one and only complaint is the location. I think a better location would be closer to the sports complex, maybe somewhere in the shipyards project. Just a thought!

Northbank? Southbank? The group bringing the USS Adams needs money in the bank. Anybody going to the fundraiser at the Omni 6-10 after the Hemming Plaza rally?

Adams2adams.org to register. Its $75 to register. I support the Adams and hope they are successful.

NORTHBANK 600' PIER, Absolutely the best of all choices Noone!

BTW, we haven't done Cunningham Creek in San Jose, another site that is a canoe launch - without a canoe launch!  I just did a photo essay of the park and I'm certain Ms. Boyer would be interested in my findings.  Damn shame nobody ever invented a micro-lock that could lift canoes and kayaks from the river level to the 'lakes' of Lakewood, in easy steps.

Noone

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2012, 12:22:16 AM »
^^^The USS Adams group pitched the 680' Shipyards Pier to the Jacksonville Waterways Commission as soon as it was aware that the city was getting the site back. 2010-604

If that is the location then why isn't that being shown in the renderings to the Public?

BTW Cunningham Creek, I'm all In. Just let me know what will work for you and we'll Make It Happen.

Ock, just had a thought. Let's FIND a FIND project together.