Author Topic: The Shipyards become new Green Space Downtown  (Read 17091 times)

Noone

Re: The Shipyards become new Green Space Downtown
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2011, 05:19:07 AM »
Showed somebody the new kayak launch at the end of the new pier at Tideview Preserve in Atlantic Beach yesterday and then I called my councilman Don Redman and asked that the floating kayak dock launch be installed at the first 25 or 50' of the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier.  This can be part of the yet to be approved and submitted FIND list.

Councilman Redman up until this point has done nothing. Spoke with Scott. He is going to check if legislation will be forthcoming that will then allow the full council to vote on this. This is an opportunity for checks and balances by our elected legislative representatives. Governor Scott and the Commissioners of FIND are aware of the pier.

Had a blast kayaking with Mayor Brown recently and so many other elected and appointed officials and an armada of other kayakers who I'm sure would agree that Downtown is a Destination to kayak, promote, celebrate, preserve, and access our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative.

Noone

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2012, 05:03:20 PM »
Well .... Should the taxpayers NOT have a say in what is done with this space?  I mean it is our money they have spent to plant that grass.

The taxpayer DOES have a say in what is done with this space. And that is why in 14 days at the next Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting if the Historic Promised 680'Downtown Public Pier is not part of a FIND subcommittee recommendation that sought Public input in a process that is then advanced to a commission that is appointed by the Governor representing the Navigable Waterways of the east coast of the state of Florida then the entire process especially as it relates to Jacksonville needs to be immediately reviewed.

Downtown Vision - Where are you?
Mayor Brown- An immediate Downtown Destination. I hope you want it on the list. SHIPYARDS III
Just like that I'll be making another request for my work that was not shown in council chambers at city council and at Waterways for another fantastic canoe and kayak launch at the Waterfront Public Access street end of Chelsea St. and Stonewall on McCoys Creek.

Timkin....Imagine being asked to participate and submit a list of Historic structures that you felt were important and had potential for a high Public Benefit. PSN4 is not even on the list.

Was there today and everyone should be scared to death about the restriction of access. Met with some of the commissioners of FIND last week in St. Johns county. Huge announcements coming. Good for them.

FIND is good. Jacksonville is LOST.

Noone

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2012, 05:59:09 AM »
Wanted to bump this thread.

Legislative action can still occur by the city council to insure Public Access and Economic Opportunity to the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier before the complete structure and implementation of the the powerful and controlling DIA is approved by city council.

Will be sharing a Downtown Destination River activity today on our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initaitive.

I am Downtown
With
Mayor Brown

Adam W

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2012, 06:17:08 AM »

Legislative action can still occur by the city council to insure Public Access and Economic Opportunity to the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier before the complete structure and implementation of the the powerful and controlling DIA is approved by city council.

Will be sharing a Downtown Destination River activity today on our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initaitive.

I am Downtown
With
Mayor Brown

I believe Downtown Brown was a character on Simon & Simon.

Noone

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »

I am Downtown
With
Mayor Brown

Just got back from making a scene Downtown.  And we are watching the Jags coming back.
Caught some reds, catfish, croaker, and we are feasting on a nice drum as were watching the Jags coming back.
A floating dock/pocket pier next to the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier is a single that everyone on Metrojax should be saying "I'm All In with that."

edjax

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »
Per Jax Daily Record twitter in interview with Shad Khan this afternoon he has indicated a desire to have discussions with the city regarding his involvement in development of the Shipyards. 

copperfiend

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2013, 04:47:43 PM »
I am interested to hear more regarding what that is all about

InnerCityPressure

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »
Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan interested in Shipyards property
Thursday, June 13, 4:36 PM EDT
by Karen Brune Mathis, Managing Editor

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan said Thursday he is interested in development of the riverfront Shipyards property, which is near EverBank Field and is the most visible open space along the St. Johns River on Downtown’s Northbank.
“I think it can be greatly enhanced” to bring economic vibrancy to Downtown, he said.

Khan said his organization is talking with the City, which owns the 40-acre Northbank Shipyards property. He did not specify the details of those talks.

Asked if he had ideas for the property, he said, “lots of ideas. Hundreds of ideas.”

Khan didn’t delve into details about the property or any plans, but said the site is “something we can really make a difference” in.

“That is the face,” he said, calling it a “very, very high-profile” property.

He declined to talk further about the talks with the City, saying the conversations are pending.

The Shipyards property is vacant land stretching from The Plaza at Berkman, near the old county courthouse property, to Metropolitan Park and the sports complex.

Several developers unsuccessfully attempted residential, office and retail projects on the site since it closed as a working shipyard.

Khan spoke with reporters Thursday after he accepted the 15th Annual Thompson S. Baker “Solid as a Rock” Award at the Junior Achievement of North Florida Hall of Fame event at EverBank Field.

Khan has made inroads into Downtown investment already. In April, his Stache Investments Corp. financed the acquisition by a private group of the Laura Street Trio and former Barnett Bank Building Downtown.

“I think for me, it’s really about committing to a community,” Khan said.

He said that deal was one of many investments and initiatives he supports in the community, including his pledge to meet with selected creators in the One Spark festival and possibly invest.

Khan said he supports growth in the community, including investments in local business, but prefers to do some of it quietly.

“There are many touch points to make a difference,” he said.

tufsu1

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Per Jax Daily Record twitter in interview with Shad Khan this afternoon he has indicated a desire to have discussions with the city regarding his involvement in development of the Shipyards. 

the discussions have been occurring....and while cautiously optimistic, I'm not by any means sold yet....keep in mind that this is the same guy who wants the City to pay $50 million just so we can have scoreboards larger than the absurdly huge ones in Big D

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2013, 05:19:26 PM »
Hopefully, they will be willing to pay for the property...

edjax

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »
Not sure the only reason is to have bigger  than those at Dallas.  I think it could also be tied to increasing local revenues which is key to the Jags long term viability in Jax.  But hey if you think otherwise for some agenda have at it.  Of course tis is also the guy that financed the purchase of the Laura Trio.  And the fact that said developers have yet to announce any plans shouldn't be held against Khan.  Lets face it Khan is probably our only hope of a Dan Gilbert type person that has been instrumental in downtown Detroit.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »
I would not be opposed to Shad Kahn opening up his pocketbook like Dan Gilbert has done for Detroit. Purchasing and taking property off the city's hands could generate revenue that could be invested elsewhere.

InnerCityPressure

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2013, 05:41:04 PM »
I would not be opposed to Shad Kahn opening up his pocketbook like Dan Gilbert has done for Detroit. Purchasing and taking property off the city's hands could generate revenue that could be invested elsewhere.

Khan seems like a forward-thinking guy that "gets it," too.  I don't imagine he is going to put something sucky and unsustainable in that space.  I think he will want to make a splash.  I imagine it will be a game-changer for downtown, whatever it is.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »
I'm sure anyone developing something would at least attempt to make sure they have a financially viable project.  I don't have an issue with that.  I was referring to selling the property verses giving it away. In the past, we've tended to lay down on our backs, giving up the goodies, with little substance to show for it in return.  I just hope that would not be the case with the Shipyards.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:58:46 PM by thelakelander »

Intuition Ale Works

• Jacksonville native and grumpy brewery owner
    • Intuition Ale Works
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »
I'm sure anyone developing something would at least attempt to make sure they have a financially viable project.  I don't have an issue with that.  I was referring to selling the property verses giving it away. In the past, we've tended to lay down on our backs, giving up the goodies, with little substance to show for it in return.  I just hope that would not be the case with the Shipyards.

Ennis-

What do you think that property is really worth per acre?
"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind..."
-MJK