Author Topic: The Shipyards become new Green Space Downtown  (Read 17089 times)

InnerCityPressure

Re: The Shipyards become new Green Space Downtown
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2013, 06:12:36 PM »
I'm sure anyone developing something would at least attempt to make sure they have a financially viable project.  I don't have an issue with that.  I was referring to selling the property verses giving it away. In the past, we've tended to lay down on our backs, giving up the goodies, with little substance to show for it in return.  I just hope that would not be the case with the Shipyards.

Of course.  I wasn't trying to infer otherwise.  I'm just excited about the possibility of having a quality owner/businessman investing in downtown.  I have an unhealthy trust in Shad Khan.  I'm not sure he could fail if he tried...

Kaiser Soze

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2013, 06:17:08 PM »
Hopefully, they will be willing to pay for the property...
Why pay for it?  That property is more contaminated than the chairs at the SOS show lounge.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2013, 06:35:14 PM »
Hmm... interesting.  Any idea of what the property is worth and how much it would cost to clean contamination?  With our luck, we'd give the property away and still be on the hook for the cleanup.

edjax

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »
How about a deal like Khan pays for the 50 million video boards to upgrade the stadium, a city asset that will also benefit him with increased revenues to the Jags.  The city then gives him the shipyard property and agrees that they will also pay for any contamination clean up to where the value of land and contamination costs are no more than say 125% of what he invests in the stadium.  City states that is it with regard to any type of incentives with regard to the development.  Also stipulates a start date or the free Offer is off the table.  He gets a decent deal.  City gets prime waterfront property back on the tax roll and also most likely result in additional downtown development and tax revenue. 

edjax

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2013, 07:48:31 PM »
Should clarify since  I have no idea on value of the land.  Perhaps value, clean up costs and incentives shouldn't exceed like 125% of the cost of video upgrades to stadium.

CityLife

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2013, 08:47:38 PM »
Hmm... interesting.  Any idea of what the property is worth and how much it would cost to clean contamination?  With our luck, we'd give the property away and still be on the hook for the cleanup.

Does the city even have a Brownfields redevelopment person anymore? I know that the 2 people from COJ that went to last years Brownfields conference don't work for the city anymore. This is the exact project a person like that is needed for (though I'm sure Khan can hire a consultant). There are all kinds of creative ways to finance remediation as well as incentives that would make the project a lot more attractive for Khan and the city.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:51:17 PM by CityLife »

Kiva

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2013, 09:03:53 PM »
How about a deal like Khan pays for the 50 million video boards to upgrade the stadium,
50 million could upgrade a huge chunk of Springfield, East Springfield, and Lavilla.

icarus

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2013, 09:26:16 PM »
"Does the city even have a Brownfields redevelopment person anymore? I know that the 2 people from COJ that went to last years Brownfields conference don't work for the city anymore."

My understanding is their salaries were too expensive under the Brown Administration so now we have hired at least one of the individuals back as an independent consultant at a greater expense ... Standard stuff

Noone

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2013, 10:17:31 PM »
^^The hired guy back- Vince Seibold?

MEGATRON

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »
The city owns the property as a creditor that foreclosed on a security interest and is likely exempt from environmental liability as long as it moves to quickly divest the property.  The longer the city holds the property, the weaker its secured creditor exemption becomes.

tufsu1

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2013, 11:16:34 AM »
How about a deal like Khan pays for the 50 million video boards to upgrade the stadium, a city asset that will also benefit him with increased revenues to the Jags.  The city then gives him the shipyard property and agrees that they will also pay for any contamination clean up to where the value of land and contamination costs are no more than say 125% of what he invests in the stadium.

I am fine with a deal like that....I'm just skeptical of giving the land to Khan for less than its true value AND spending $50 million on new video boards

MEGATRON

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
How about a deal like Khan pays for the 50 million video boards to upgrade the stadium, a city asset that will also benefit him with increased revenues to the Jags.  The city then gives him the shipyard property and agrees that they will also pay for any contamination clean up to where the value of land and contamination costs are no more than say 125% of what he invests in the stadium.

I am fine with a deal like that....I'm just skeptical of giving the land to Khan for less than its true value AND spending $50 million on new video boards
The land has little value

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »

You say this based on what information?  Remember that there are tens of millions of tax dollars invested in that property that should be recouped if possible.

MEGATRON

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2013, 11:36:12 AM »

You say this based on what information?  Remember that there are tens of millions of tax dollars invested in that property that should be recouped if possible.
Those dollars are not being recouped.

simms3

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »
I have to think that if the land had value, then we would see something on at least part of the site by now.  The private market has simply not been willing to step to the table.  This is clearly public land and should be - it would be in many waterfront cities such as SF or NYC.

I don't see why the port or some public entity wouldn't want to own it in partnership with the city/P&R, redevelop it as park space, and then allow for private entities to come in and build stuff on allotted portions under ground leases, a la Landing.  Someone has to get creative here.

Between Jags games, the Arena, BBall park, concerts at Met Park, the Riverwalk, Hyatt Hotel and E. Bay St bars, etc, there is enough of a seed to create even more activity on this land.  I would love to see lots of open greenspace (albeit done well with landscaped areas and interesting features), mixed with restaurants, would have been great if the city moved forward with Intuition Ale, etc etc.  If you get enough foot traffic in the area consistently, maybe one day there could be an interest in a well capitalized private fund that can do something more spectacular with the site (and I'm not talking condos and high rise office - more public market/event/boutiquey office/hotel or low/mid-rise condos on a portion).