Author Topic: Jacksonville builders seek extension of mobility fee moratorium  (Read 23798 times)

Jumpinjack

Re: Jacksonville builders seek extension of mobility fee moratorium
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2012, 08:15:39 AM »
That does make sense in a way, Charles.  Doug says it won't happen, but I'm not quite so trusting. But then, I'm older than he is and maybe more cynical.  In keeping with Doug's idea, maybe as many of us as possible show up on Tuesday.  We fill out speaker cards saying we are for the mobility fee and against any waiver of it, but say we don't need to speak.  That way, we make our point, and the cards will be read aloud, without dragging out the meeting.  My vote would be that Doug speak for us, since he has done so much research on it, make all our points, and then have him ask for a show of hands for how many in the room agree with him and are here to support the mobility fee, and against any extension of the moratorium.

What do you guys think?  Doug, want to be the mouthpiece? 

Good idea, Debbie. We will be there too.

dougskiles

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »
I've heard that a bill may be filed soon seeking a new mobility fee moratorium, and that the sponsor would be Councilman Richard Clark.

It will be interesting to hear the argument for a moratorium considering that the economy has shown definite signs of improvement, particularly in the land development industry.

JeffreyS

« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2013, 03:50:53 PM »
Pitchforks and Torches ready.

Ocklawaha

« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of tar and feathers.

I'm going to suggest a riot if we have another council consideration of this insane policy.  The city is not mowing right-of-ways and turning off streetlights, but we are apparently so progressive that we can't use the improvements that will be afforded in the Mobility Plan.

We need to put the council on notice that any of them supporting another moratorium will be fired at the next election.

fieldafm

« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2013, 04:20:36 PM »
Ah yes, the same Richard Clark that wanted to move to St Johns County to run for the Congressional seat Ron DeSantis eventually won... and who amassed more campaign contributions from builders and developers than any City Council rep... well, ever.

Considering he misses about 40% of Council meetings, perhaps he simply did not see a room jam packed full of people who opposed a bill to extend the moratorium... that was never even introduced.

Bridges

« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2013, 05:57:18 PM »
Oh boy.  Thanks for the update Doug.  We're ready anytime, just keep us updated.
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

Tacachale

« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »
Jaxons, assemble!

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2013, 07:02:07 PM »
I'll be there.  Should I bring the tar?

JeffreyS

« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »
 >:( On Doug's signal unleash Hell. >:(

L.P. Hovercraft

« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2013, 07:17:07 PM »
Richard Clark--Jacksonville's own local contribution to a long line of hard core, straight shootin' Dicks: Nixon, Cheney, Armey, Scott, Mourdock, et al.

You make us proud bro!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:34:56 PM by L.P. Hovercraft »

Ocklawaha

« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2013, 10:53:46 PM »
These guys have REALLY pissed me off if they pull this stunt. My Ozark daddy would have said, "Mad enough to go bear huntin' with a switch!"

sheclown

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2013, 12:43:26 PM »
Thanks Doug.  Let us know.

urbaknight

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2013, 12:53:36 PM »
Can't say I'm surprised that this came up again. I am surprised it took this long. Why don't these idiots just develop in the urban core where the fee doesn't exist?

And since the moratorium waiver came up again so soon, why didn't the anti discrimination bill resurface again as well, as any other bill that truly "takes the city to the next level?"

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
Some form of the fee exists every where in town (except for downtown but these guys aren't interested in DT).  However, you can cut the fee down completely or significantly by developing projects on sites where there's higher density, redevelopment sites, making them mixed-use, etc.  You can also reduce the fee by making your projects multimodal friendly instead of having your site plan totally dominated by auto accommodation at the expense of pedestrians and cyclist.  These guys just don't want to cover the cost of the negatives associated with their projects if someone is there to make the taxpayers pick up the tab.  It's really as simple as that.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2013, 03:50:13 PM »
You would think a republican would know better ::)