Author Topic: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty  (Read 144178 times)

I-10east

Re: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty
« Reply #585 on: July 19, 2013, 12:54:55 PM »
"Is that your bike?"

"Technically it's not, but it's gonna be mine." LOL

Cheshire Cat

Re: Trayvon Martin Case plus related discussion of Law and Racism
« Reply #586 on: July 19, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:07:48 PM by Cheshire Cat »

I-10east

« Reply #587 on: July 19, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »
^^^Please tell me that's something from the Onion. SMH...

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #588 on: July 19, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »
The President speaks to the Zimmerman case. link below. 

From my view I think he is saying some of the same things I said earlier on a variety of threads which is that this case touched many deep and old hurts in the Black community.  I think that while this is absolutely true it is also important to realize that these comments are being spoken by a mixed race man, considered Black by most, who is  currently holding the highest office in the land and of the free world.  Old pains and hurts run deep and justifiably so but the realization that things are changing and will keep changing can be heard in the words of our youngest children and highest elected official.  While I listened to the words of the President I was also thinking that in spite of the fact that old racist behaviors still exist in this country they are no longer the overlying behavior or sentiment of the majority of it's citizens.  It they were, Obama would not be our President and be able to speak to this issue the way he has.  I don't think anyone should lose sight of that reality. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg5AM2QBEBc&feature=share

http://globalgrind.com/news/kids-react-interracial-cheerios-commercial-video
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:31:33 PM by Cheshire Cat »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #589 on: July 19, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »
Just wait till those who don't agree with what the president had to say, responds. I just may tune into FOX news tonight for entertainment purposes.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #590 on: July 19, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »

From my view I think he is saying some of the same things I said earlier on a variety of threads which is that this case touched many deep and old hurts in the Black community.  I think that while this is absolutely true it is also important to realize that these comments are being spoken by the man holding the highest office in the land and of the free world.  Old pains and hurts run deep, justifiably so.  But the realization that things are changing and will keep changing can be heard in the words of our youngest children and highest elected official.  While I listened to the words of the President I was also thinking that in spite of the fact that old racist behaviors still exist in this country they are no longer the overlying behavior or sentiment of all of it's citizens.  It they were, Obama would not be our President and be able to speak to this issue the way he has.  I don't think anyone should lose site of that reality. 

meh.

I think these are issues you work through and still have to be addressed.  Im certain people were thinking similar strides had been made about anti semitism when Bleichroder and Bismark formed such a close affiliation in Germany (even their grandchildren ended up getting married) but that was over by 1929.
Well Stephen, working through is what all of these threads and discussions are about.  Why a comment to look at the positives while "working through" rates a "meh", I will never know.  Goodness gracious.  lol

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #591 on: July 19, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »
Just wait till those who don't agree with what the president had to say, responds. I just may tune into FOX news tonight for entertainment purposes.
Fox has not yet spoken to this but social media has already "lit up"!  I can feel the roller coaster beneath the entire country right now.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #592 on: July 19, 2013, 03:39:27 PM »

From my view I think he is saying some of the same things I said earlier on a variety of threads which is that this case touched many deep and old hurts in the Black community.  I think that while this is absolutely true it is also important to realize that these comments are being spoken by the man holding the highest office in the land and of the free world.  Old pains and hurts run deep, justifiably so.  But the realization that things are changing and will keep changing can be heard in the words of our youngest children and highest elected official.  While I listened to the words of the President I was also thinking that in spite of the fact that old racist behaviors still exist in this country they are no longer the overlying behavior or sentiment of all of it's citizens.  It they were, Obama would not be our President and be able to speak to this issue the way he has.  I don't think anyone should lose site of that reality. 

meh.

I think these are issues you work through and still have to be addressed.  Im certain people were thinking similar strides had been made about anti semitism when Bleichroder and Bismark formed such a close affiliation in Germany (even their grandchildren ended up getting married) but that was over by 1929.
Well Stephen, working through is what all of these threads and discussions are about.  Why a comment to look at the positives while "working through" rates a "meh", I will never know.  Goodness gracious.  lol

because i think it needs pointing out that just because we elected a black president of the us, doesnt mean that racism is over.

Just like electing Hillary in 2 years isnt going to signal the end of sex discrimination, or workplace sexual harrassment.
Well goodness gracious, who is saying that?  I certainly am not and I think everyone understands the changes coming to our country will come gradually, but we are moving forward.  We can't lose sight of that fact.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #593 on: July 19, 2013, 03:41:43 PM »

meh.

because i think it needs pointing out that just because we elected a black president of the us, doesnt mean that racism is over.

Just like electing Hillary in 2 years isnt going to signal the end of sex discrimination, or workplace sexual harrassment.
Well goodness gracious, who is saying that?  I certainly am not and I think everyone understands the changes coming to our country will come gradually, but we are moving forward.  We can't lose sight of that fact.  As far as other comments, I was speaking to the issue of race not sexual assaults. 

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #594 on: July 19, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »
^^^Please tell me that's something from the Onion. SMH...
Sorry, can't tell you that.  It appears to be all too true.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #595 on: July 19, 2013, 03:53:14 PM »
^Indeed they might but we don't have to be first out of the gate with that discussion do we?  lol  I think we have enough to talk about just sticking to today's issues.

I-10east

« Reply #596 on: July 19, 2013, 04:00:29 PM »
^^^Whoa, such a dramatic response? I never said that I was pro-stand your ground, I don't know what you're trying to get at....

JayBird

« Reply #597 on: July 19, 2013, 04:04:48 PM »
South Carolina ... Speechless. No offense Diane but I had to actually go check because I thought this was creative cut and paste.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #598 on: July 19, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »
Stephendare
Its not like white people were wandering through a meadow one day, thoughtfully turned to each other and softly whispered:  "Its time.". ;)
Of course it isn't and I neither said or implied such.  So I will take the statement as an addition by you to the commentary.  :)  In that spirit there was a time back in the sixties when a bunch of White people looked at each other and said "it's time" and did all they could to break the back of racism.  I know because I was one of them.  It's going to take much more time than I have on this earth to see true racial equality in this country and around the world but it is coming of it's own accord as the country moves from majority White to a majority minority.  We are not far off from the day that will happen.  Until it does however there will be discussion to be had and work to be done. To do so wisely and have our efforts matter we must look at both the negatives and positives, acknowledge them and move forward with as much understanding and balance that we can muster. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:25:02 PM by Cheshire Cat »

NotNow

« Reply #599 on: July 19, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »
Come on.  To attach any meaning at all to this article other than how stupid the defendant is and how much lawyers like to litigate everything is an intellectual mistake. 

This suspect is either wasting everyone's time or (like many people expressing opinions these days) he has absolutely no idea what the "stand your ground" defense is.

ANYBODY can claim ANYTHING.   This says NOTHING about the "stand your ground" defense.  Just like the fact that the Zimmerman case (remember that?) says NOTHING about SYG either.
"We may yet become the first nation to die from a terminal case of frivolity. Other great nations in history have been threatened by barbarians at the gates. We may be the first to be threatened by self-indulgent silliness inside the gates." - Thomas Sowell