Author Topic: It's Time to Welcome Uber to Jacksonville  (Read 32298 times)

ProjectMaximus

Re: It's Time to Welcome Uber to Jacksonville
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2014, 11:50:56 AM »
Just figure out what other cities do and adapt it for our needs. I just used Uber yesterday, and it's unfathomably better than the service you get from standard cab companies. It would be ridiculous to crack down on them for having a better service.

In Montreal, the cabs operate under Uber. Or more specifically, Uber's service is executed by the traditional cabs. I never tried out the app there, as there were cabs readily available everywhere we went.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2014, 12:09:35 PM »
This is the wrong place for this question, but maybe someone knowledgeable can offer insight.

Just wondering why so many cities shut down their transit systems just before the majority of their nightlife closes down?

eg, Montreal, Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo. I guess generally there just isn't enough ridership to sustain operating the majority of the system, and from a transportation planner's standpoint, the nightlife clientele travels from one central point and disburses in all directions which might be better suited for taxis. But sometimes it seems like it's pandering to the taxi groups as well.

In Montreal it would have been extremely useful for us...and would have required an extension by 2-3 hours.
In Hong Kong some of the cabbies really try to ripoff tourists, and while this is an issue all the time it seems that drunk tourists trying to get home are the easiest victims.
In Singapore there is a 50% premium for riding cabs after midnight. Tokyo's is just 20%.

finehoe

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »

simms3

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2014, 06:18:10 PM »
Uber announced that is testing an option that enables its users to split fares on rides with strangers who are traveling on a similar route.

UberPool works like the regular Uber service, except it pairs users up with another rider, and notifies them of their co-rider's first name. Launched in private beta, users can sign up to get notified when UberPool goes live in certain areas.

http://mashable.com/2014/08/05/uber-announces-carpooling-for-rides/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link

Didn't even know this was new.  Been splitting fares with 1 or more people for a while now!  Also, now you can give the Uber driver a destination prior to ordering one (similar to Sidecar).  Convenient for big cities where drivers can't sit in one spot for long or for addresses that are complex and would otherwise require some verbal direction.

Noone

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2014, 12:44:12 AM »
I remember at one council meeting it was brought up that you had to have X amount (I think 5) taxis ready to go before even being in compliance with city code. It is one of many arbitrary and maddening issues in there. I think it would be better to simply repeal most of the code concerning taxi/limo services.

Is this still true?

acme54321

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »
http://reason.com/archives/2014/11/14/taxi-deregulation-removes-cabbies-econom

Whole article here: http://reason.com/archives/2014/11/14/taxi-deregulation-removes-cabbies-econom

While I think its th right step forward what about the people that own the medallions now worth $140k that will essentially become worthless?  Yikes.

simms3

« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »
^^^Cab companies actually require a certain economies of scale to operate at a profit.  Not sure how "individual-driven" cab companies will work - will further hurt their own bottom lines and will dilute their image/business if they no longer have to "compete" and can all individually offer the same shitty service.  Everyone will certainly flock to Uber then.

Cab companies are able to buy NEW cars not even available to dealers yet in bulk for bottom barrel pricing (because the car companies actually use cab companies to test durability and it's a benefit to both parties).  Also cab companies are able to insure their business/drivers at reduced bulk rates.  Also cab companies operate with a degree of efficiency.  They also offer platforms that can compete with other platforms, producing ways to distinguish themselves.  There's also the whole concept of a dispatch that gets lost when you go out on your own.  With cab apps, cab companies pay to use the app at the corporate level, not at the individual level (2 main apps - Flywheel and Curb).

Cab companies in many cities that have actual large amounts of cabs (NYC, Boston, Chicago, DC, SF, LA) have clamored for more regulation.  There are ongoing debates as to whether there are already enough drivers or too many (typically there are too many on the road during the day and much of the evening, but then not enough during peak times such as rush hour or when bars let out).  Instead, the cab companies have pushed for more regulation on the Uber/Lyft side rather than deregulation of their own businesses.  I would think cab companies in SF (or most really large cities with extensive cab usage) understand the cab business moreso than cab companies in Sacramento, but each market is different.

simms3

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2014, 05:04:23 PM »
http://reason.com/archives/2014/11/14/taxi-deregulation-removes-cabbies-econom

Whole article here: http://reason.com/archives/2014/11/14/taxi-deregulation-removes-cabbies-econom

While I think its th right step forward what about the people that own the medallions now worth $140k that will essentially become worthless?  Yikes.

Yea, city should buy out the medallions at FMV if they go this route.  Most cities regulate cab companies as a sort of quasi-extension of public transit, hence the medallion system in the first place.

urbanlibertarian

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2014, 11:20:49 AM »
I think it's a big mistake to maintain the status quo (crony capitalism) just because some people or companies are heavily invested in it.  If you do you cheat the public out of the benefits of competition and innovation.  One of the features of a relatively free and unregulated market is that business models that don't satisfy customers needs fail and are replaced by ones that do. 

Noone

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2014, 02:35:56 AM »
^Good post. Anyone feel sorry for the Baltimore Water Taxis guys who were two seats short from a 350 seat RFP? They had 348 seats. So you are losers. Change the RFP and now it's 120 and immediately the Executive Branch (Mayor) defrauds and circumvents the Legislative Branch (City Council) 2014-412. The Uber and Lyft legislation is 2014-665 and is active. Saw Jack Shad who was there for it at a Finance agenda meeting 11/4/14. I was there for 2014-305 and was sitting next to Carla Miller who was there for 2014-668.

Our new CRA/DIA in the USA  20 square mile zone 2014-560 is active legislation before the city council before it gets sent to the state for approval. Allow opportunity for everyone and not just breaking the law and picking winners and losers. Please.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:02:05 AM by Noone »

finehoe

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2014, 08:00:27 AM »

Gators312

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2014, 08:35:12 AM »

Here's the link to the story for those interested in the graphic's source.

http://www.thenation.com/article/192545/socialize-uber

I'm no Uber expert, but the graphic doesn't mention the support that Uber provides it's drivers, such as advertising / marketing, insurance, and other support such as paying fines levied by municipalities that have yet to come to an agreement with Uber and it's drivers. 

I've only used Uber, never considered being a driver, but I like their product.  Maybe some on MJ have driven for Uber and can give their opinion on being a driver for them?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:50:57 AM by Gators312 »

urbanlibertarian

« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2014, 09:12:35 AM »
What's stopping the AFL/CIO from organizing drivers to compete with Uber?  Uber is a business model that seems to be working well and making customers happy.  IMO it's more likely that small innovative businesses will form to compete successfully with Uber than co-ops or organized labor.  The main reason that Uber, Lyft, etc have been so refreshing to customers is that for so long taxi companies and government have teamed up to keep rates high and innovation curtailed.

finehoe

« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »
Maybe some on MJ have driven for Uber and can give their opinion on being a driver for them?

Here's one driver's take:  http://www.wnyc.org/story/hustle-behind-the-wheel-what-its-like-to-be-an-uber-driver/