Author Topic: Revised Fuller Warren Bridge Plans To Be Released Today  (Read 29015 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: Revised Fuller Warren Bridge Plans To Be Released Today
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2015, 07:48:26 AM »
I'm only one of many people and concerned residents that have worked behind the scene to help create a better project. Nevertheless, the process does show what is possible when the community gets involved early in the process. Hopefully, we'll see more community involvement on future projects.

tufsu1

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2015, 08:03:15 AM »
Yeah I'm not liking the sound of the noise walls along the 17 stretch. Removing mature natural sound barriers and replacing them with walls? How far off the travel lanes will the walls be?

the original plans from FDOT had most of the trees being cut down for a flyover....that was fought and thus the design changed.

From what was shown at the meeting last week (graphics on previous page), the walls appear to be up against the road....in fact, many 8' noise walls around the state are poured in concrete attached to a "jersey" barrier.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:07:14 AM by tufsu1 »

PeeJayEss

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2015, 10:48:20 AM »
Good to see FDOT is better at designing a shared-use path than COJ, DDRB, Haskell, CH2MHill, and Flagg Design put together.

SightseerLounge

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:59 AM »
Why can't they just get these things right the first few times?

Its amazing that about 25 years ago, they actually got the Acosta Bridge right!

Use some of those same elements with the Fuller Warren Bridge!

I've said this before: They should build a pedestrian bridge somewhere from Riverside/San Marco up to the Main St. Bridge!

acme54321

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2015, 06:58:26 AM »
I've said this before: They should build a pedestrian bridge somewhere from Riverside/San Marco up to the Main St. Bridge!

Huh?

PeeJayEss

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2015, 08:42:26 AM »

Huh?

A bridge that connects either Riverside or San Marco to the Main Street Bridge.
I think there should be a bridge that connects the Acosta to the Fuller Warren. That's what this town needs.

southsider1015

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2015, 08:33:42 PM »
Good to see FDOT is better at designing a shared-use path than COJ, DDRB, Haskell, CH2MHill, and Flagg Design put together.

LOL.  Too funny. Leave it to a bunch of roadway engineers to do something right for pedestrians.

southsider1015

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2015, 08:36:14 PM »
I'm only one of many people and concerned residents that have worked behind the scene to help create a better project. Nevertheless, the process does show what is possible when the community gets involved early in the process. Hopefully, we'll see more community involvement on future projects.

Again, great job.  I just hope it gets used as so many have promised that it will.  I've seen the special interest groups get involved early in the process, and add costs to projects, only.to watch the improvements go unused.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »
I don't know if I'd call the community being impacted a "special interest group". However, if it is, FDOT ought to work with them more. Getting involved actually saved FDOT $16 million. The original...without the shared use path... was $136 million. The revised plan is $120 million. The was partially due to the community also working with FDOT to modify the flyover to Roosevelt.

southsider1015

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »
I don't know if I'd call the community being impacted a "special interest group". However, if it is, FDOT ought to work with them more. Getting involved actually saved FDOT $16 million. The original...without the shared use path... was $136 million. The revised plan is $120 million. The was partially due to the community also working with FDOT to modify the flyover to Roosevelt.

It can be really hard to get valuable opinions from the public.  The informed and wealthy can afford lawyers, engineers, and other professionals to force FDOTs hand in many cases.  To flip the example back on you, what about the landowners along the FCE corridor, or any other future corridor?   I refer to them as special interests, yet they actually own the land and are affected by the project. 

Also, the cost didn't get cheaper because of the shared use path.  Come on, lake.  It was the flyover at Roosevelt. 

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2015, 09:09:24 PM »
It can be really hard to get valuable opinions from the public.

I've been a part of the process on both sides of the fence. From my experience, it's only hard when an entity attempts to ram a project down the public's throat. On the other hand, getting good feedback is a pretty easy and rewarding process when you work within the community's long term vision and goals.

The informed and wealthy can afford lawyers, engineers, and other professionals to force FDOTs hand in many cases.

In the Fuller Warren's case, the informed only exposed precedence and enforcement of policies already in their books. In other words, the community demanded better. In return, FDOT responded and did just that.

To flip the example back on you, what about the landowners along the FCE corridor, or any other future corridor?   I refer to them as special interests, yet they actually own the land and are affected by the project.

Haha. One huge difference. The community didn't ask for the Fuller Warren Bridge expansion or an additional flyover. It was forced upon them. In the case of the FCE, that was all about special interest and major land owners looking to profit from worthless dirt increasing in value with the construction, accessibility and visibility provided by an expressway.

Also, the cost didn't get cheaper because of the shared use path.  Come on, lake.  It was the flyover at Roosevelt.

Being involved in the process, the shared use path wasn't an isolated thing. Modifying the flyover to eliminate its negative impacts was another major issue tackled simultaneously. The result is a product that achieves FDOT's original goals that also fits into the surrounding context.....for $16 million less than the original.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:11:45 PM by thelakelander »

tufsu1

« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2015, 09:31:33 PM »

LOL.  Too funny. Leave it to a bunch of roadway engineers to do something right for pedestrians.

laughable....and hardly.  FDOT was dragged kicking and screaming to the bike path....and there are discussions occurring right now about how 12' is not wide enough to strip separate bike and ped areas.

as for how the project got cheaper, losing the US 17 flyover was a major part of that....as is the decision to work within the existing foorptint and shrink shoulders instead of widening the area through Riverside...and guess what, folks on this website lobbying for different concepts are a large part of why the project was changed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:33:55 PM by tufsu1 »

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2015, 10:16:17 PM »
....and there are discussions occurring right now about how 12' is not wide enough to strip separate bike and ped areas.

[Off topic] But 20' is wide enough for 2-way traffic (See Post and King St.)  ;) [/Back on Topic]
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

southsider1015

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2015, 11:05:41 PM »
Meh. Getting rid of the flyover was a loss, IMHO.  The massive weave and lane shifts for SB I-95 to WB I-10 to SB Roosevelt isn't fixed.    Capacity is added with the restripping and widening, but it doesn't solve a key issue with the interchange.

BTW, a lot of what goes into these projects is what can approved and funded by FHWA.  Part of the game is to gather funding from a different pots of money (federal and state) while meeting project objectives.  It's not like FDOT has blank checks for all of these projects.  It might seem like that, but the big decision makers have their work cut out for them trying to put as much effective and efficient product into each project. 

southsider1015

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2015, 11:09:38 PM »
....and there are discussions occurring right now about how 12' is not wide enough to strip separate bike and ped areas.

[Off topic] But 20' is wide enough for 2-way traffic (See Post and King St.)  ;) [/Back on Topic]

Road diet, anyone?  :)

Talk to COJ about that one.  Not FDOT.  Different folks.