Author Topic: Roost Cafe and Coffee shop trying to open on Oak St?  (Read 28442 times)

mtraininjax

Re: Roost Cafe and Coffee shop trying to open on Oak St?
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2015, 03:12:44 PM »

Amen, no one is against another restaurant in Riverside or Avondale or Brooklyn, the issue here is that the ROOST owners LIED to the residents, the City and fellow businesses. They submitted a plan for 60 seats, then decided to change it to 150 using the same zoning.

If I was a resident near there, I would not trust them either.

And now this has made its way to the JBJ

Residents of Riverside come out against planned Roost restaurant in Oak Street building - Jacksonville Business Journal http://snip.ly/E4Va
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:41:51 PM by mtraininjax »

BoldCityRealist

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2015, 03:44:59 PM »
RAP & Co are spearheading this anti-development movement (from what I saw on this new FB group "P.R.O.U.D."), surprise, surprise. Funny thing, I've seen RAP folks climb out of their big ol' honkin Amerikan SUV at Snap, the fitness center they live three or four blocks down from.

No wonder they are so concerned about the cars!

I lived off College and walked blocks to Five Points/Oak St all the time, in the sunshine, in the rain, in the cold. Because that's what you do in a walkable neighborhood. This type of infill will FORCE people (like the elite folks of RAP) to WALK or BIKE to places. Isn't that a crazy thought? I now live in Avondale and bike to Snap instead - screw cars.

Who knows, maybe all of this infill will force the city to start looking at better mass transit solutions when Riverside is thriving with bars, cafes, restaurants all around and cars can't fit any more!

Sorry RAP/Anti Development people, I welcome businesses coming into these beautiful abandoned buildings and creating some new wonderful content for me to WALK to.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:02:44 PM by BoldCityRealist »

BoldCityRealist

« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »
I just skimmed through the thread - and if people are not in fact against a new spot opening and the disagreement stems from seating, that's a different story. While 150 may be too much, I don't think 80-100 is bad. Again, it forces people to pursue other methods of getting around the 'hood. Like a bus, or an Uber, or a bike. Or walking...

dp8541

« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »
We recently purchased a house in Avondale, and the immediate development around the homes we looked at played a huge factor in our ultimate decision.  If having commercial property across the street is an issue with a renter or buyer, look somewhere else (which is exactly what we did).  People move to riverside for the reason of having establishments such as Roost within walking or biking distance.

Sentient

« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2015, 04:57:55 PM »
If they're playing head-banging music at 2am, great, we have noise ordinances for that. If their customers are rowdy drunks, great, we have a statute addressing drunk and disorderly conduct. These gripes (that haven't actually happened) aren't zoning issues, they're things that if they happen, there is already a set of laws to deal with them. You call the cops and they stop the offending behavior. I really don't know how a biscottis'esque restaurant/coffeehouse somehow translates into automatic mayhem, but on the 1% chance it did, so what, we have laws for that. Something that likely will not happen, and that is already addressed by laws outside the zoning context if it does, isn't a valid basis to stop the place from opening, IMHO.

Exactly!!!!  enough of the NIMBY BS fear mongering.  Has anyone eve rbeen out at 1AM?  Do you know how few places are even open in Jax, let alone restaurants with full menu kitchen service (required under SRX) at that time?  Very very few...

And all this BS of "historical uses"...  that shouldn't be a factor AT ALL.  History is about change.  Be aware of that...  Almost none of the restaurants around started out that way...

Sentient

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2015, 04:59:43 PM »
I have mixed feelings on this one. Full disclosure I am actively engaged in moving into Riverside. I love all of the shops, bars and restaurants.  I can also see the need to manage the needs of different parties.

Intelligent planning... oh the hubris of you people...  Soviet Union mean anything to you?  You think your little coffee klatch is smarter than the market?  Hahahahahahahaha

Sentient

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2015, 05:05:30 PM »
I just skimmed through the thread - and if people are not in fact against a new spot opening and the disagreement stems from seating, that's a different story. While 150 may be too much, I don't think 80-100 is bad. Again, it forces people to pursue other methods of getting around the 'hood. Like a bus, or an Uber, or a bike. Or walking...

I've said it many times... the SRX/alcohol licensing laws discriminate against small landlords and small business...  they force 100 or 150 seat requirements for no other reason than to restrict access to alcohol.  which is absurd in 2015.  Ackwardsbass J'Burg again at work...  Bold New City stuff here...

Do you know how much more it costs to build out and then staff a 150 seat restaurant?  It's unreal.  In NYC, SFO, LA, Chicago...  you see plenty of sub 50 seat places...  hell many sub 25 seat places... but you can't here because you can't make the margins with just beer and wine and food...

Sentient

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2015, 05:08:40 PM »
We recently purchased a house in Avondale, and the immediate development around the homes we looked at played a huge factor in our ultimate decision.  If having commercial property across the street is an issue with a renter or buyer, look somewhere else (which is exactly what we did).  People move to riverside for the reason of having establishments such as Roost within walking or biking distance.

Better to have an unmitigated environmental hazard site as a prominent feature of your neighborhood.  That will preserve it's character and drive up land values!

Whew... we kept out those bastards with their restaurant and preserved our cancer cluster...

JeffreyS

« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2015, 07:19:50 PM »
I hate the way this conversation is devolving. No need to call people anti Developement for disagreeing about the use of one building.

edjax

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2015, 07:38:15 PM »
I hate the way this conversation is devolving. No need to call people anti Developement for disagreeing about the use of one building.

Agree.  But the new MJ Way. 

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2015, 08:04:50 PM »
Residents push back against planned restaurant in Riverside

Some Riverside residents are pushing back against a requested change in zoning that would allow a restaurant to open in a vacant building on Oak Street.

The pushback comes after two local developers, JC Demetree and Ted Stein, put forward the possibility of opening a 150-seat restaurant called Roost in the former Deluxe Laundry and Dry Cleaners at 2216 Oak Street. The developers are looking to change the zoning for that building, as well as half of the adjacent De Luxe Launderette building, from a commercial residential and office space to a planned unit development.

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2015/11/18/residents-push-back-against-planned-restaurant-in.html

fsujax

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2015, 08:08:53 PM »
so they would rather just have a vacant building?

Sentient

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »

Some Riverside residents are pushing back against a requested change in zoning that would allow a restaurant to open in a vacant building on Oak Street.

The pushback comes after two local developers, JC Demetree and Ted Stein, put forward the possibility of opening a 150-seat restaurant called Roost in the former Deluxe Laundry and Dry Cleaners at 2216 Oak Street. The developers are looking to change the zoning for that building, as well as half of the adjacent De Luxe Launderette building, from a commercial residential and office space to a planned unit development.

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2015/11/18/residents-push-back-against-planned-restaurant-in.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:57:43 PM by Sentient »

Kay

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »
Mellow Mushroom is not a PUD as the article states; it is zoned CCG-1.  5 Points Village is an example of why not to have PUDs.

Kay

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2015, 09:08:31 PM »
Perhaps you need to read it again if you did not comprehend the developers point of view in the article.  It may be too much to ask that you raise your level of discourse.