Author Topic: The Shipyards become new Green Space Downtown  (Read 16942 times)

Metro Jacksonville

The Shipyards become new Green Space Downtown
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:02:45 AM »
The Shipyards become new Green Space Downtown

Metro Jacksonville takes a walk around the Shipyards and suggests a passive natural use that would attract people and doesn't cost much to implement.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-oct-the-shipyards-become-new-green-space-downtown

Noone

Re: The Shipyards become new Green Space Downtown
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 04:39:48 AM »
Great article Ennis. And the Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier can be opened immediately.

Just remember its dumb luck that we got this back. Not skill.

As for fishing you CAN fish Downtown and that was unveiled with the Aprill 22, 2005 Old Fuller Warren Bridge Study.

Right now Councilman Redman can introduce legislation to open the PIER. He posesses the power. Open one PIER. The Promised ONE.

Councilman Redman is fully aware of the current legislative power that he posesses. He will lose it with redistricting. FIND is identifying projects right now. FIND (Florida Inland Navigation District).

I have so much more information to share on this.

I so much want to promote our city, our community, our Downtown.

I want to say...

VISIT JACKSONVILLE!
         not
DON'T VISIT JACKSONVILLE!

Keep the pier separate. Please. Somebody.....Make it Happen

I'm very concerned.

north miami

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:27:20 AM »

River City Gracious Southern Front Porch

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »
Great article.  This really makes you realize how gorgeous the site with the pier is.  Great article. 

Overstreet

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:23:03 AM »
"Open immediately" .................only after making it safe and ADA friendly. There is surprisingly a lot of work to be done from the pictures you showed.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »
"Open immediately" .................only after making it safe and ADA friendly.

Of course.  That's as simple as putting in a short sidewalk (heck, it can be asphalt) to connect the riverwalk to the property.  The city spent more than that to grade, sod and fence the property.

fieldafm

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 11:09:52 AM »
I did a cost estimate based on info I was given as to the Northbank Riverwalk projects.  The costs were a few years old, but it wouldn't take much to open the pier for public use. 

Lunican

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 11:16:51 AM »
It would be nice if they filled the bulkhead with dirt, planted grass, and opened the entire thing up. I am assuming the bulkhead was meant to be filled with dirt for trees and plants.

fieldafm

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »
When they extend the Riverwalk, that part would be used to bury power and drainage lines and then filled over before the pavers go up.  That's what I have been told anyway.

Tacachale

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 02:40:41 PM »
Good article. Considering that the Riverwalk and the public river access were the parts that were going to be public when the development was happening, the city should prioritize opening them up immediately.

And it should just go ahead and complete them itself, so the amenities are already in place whenever the next phase moves forward, and there's no risk of being defrauded by the developer again.

simms3

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »
Great article.  I'm getting fed up with all the political threads taking over the main page feed, so this was a nice breath of fresh air.  Nice photos, too!  The Maxwell House plant is actually looking quite nice.

I think the city would be wise to find funding to make the whole site an active park, filled with paths, public spaces, sculptures, interactive fountains, tables and benches, and of course the pier with that once proposed Calatrava landmark marker.

Then I would suggest the city find a way to connect to the stadium district and involve Maxwell House.  I see no reason, even with the overpass dividing the two areas, for that district not to be filled with life.  The West Coast, specifically Seattle, has found ways to incorporate their waterfront with the rest of town, even with a multiple deck freeway passing through.

We could have a waterfront market, an aquarium, docks for large yachts and sailboats and small cruise vessels, of course the public pier, the riverwalk, active park space as described above, etc etc.  There is no reason why we should not pursue this.

In fact, if we can get the convention center to the current courthouse site and focus on this side of downtown, I would even go so far as to abandon plans for Lavilla for now because it does not have nearly as much going for it considering it was all bulldozed.  The courthouse alone is not enough of an investment to bring that area back.

I also think many people in Jax would be more favorable to spending money on such plans on the river there near the stadiums and event spaces than in areas they deem "ghetto", unsafe, or unable to be utilized conveniently by the masses.

My new chant is Laura Street to Georgia Street, and Adams in between!  (Granted I know the riverfront goes to Talleyrand, but Georgia kind rhymes with Laura)

danem

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 07:36:20 PM »
If they still cut off access to the river...what's the point? That's what I take away from this. But hey, baby steps...

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »
I always thought the  Maxwell House should have some kind of coffee museum on ground level.  I believe Heinz has one like this in Pittsburgh in the strip district. 

peestandingup

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »
I always thought the  Maxwell House should have some kind of coffee museum on ground level.  I believe Heinz has one like this in Pittsburgh in the strip district.

Do they have anything for the public at all? I've thought about just walking in there & seeing what it was like or if they offered any tours.

I also wondered if they sold fresh roasted coffee to people in the local community? I don't think they do, or else I would have prob heard of it by now, but I don't know that for sure. Anyone know??

Charles Hunter

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 09:25:41 PM »
Going by tonight, it looks like this "green space" is really "flex space" aka "Stadium parking".  So, even if the City had money to improve this with more park-like amenities, I doubt they would.