Author Topic: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty  (Read 139558 times)

Shine

Re: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty
« Reply #660 on: July 21, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »
Father Michael Pfleger: Racism is in the DNA of America

People need to do a search on the Adrian Crump case.

Martian/Zimmerman is not an issue of race.

JayBird

« Reply #661 on: July 21, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »
Father Michael Pfleger: Racism is in the DNA of America

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/21/father-michael-pfleger-racism-is-in-the-dna-of-america/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HmoP6XEG5ik?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HmoP6XEG5ik?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

SheClown by posting this and numerous others it is apparent that you feel this is very true and that racism played a huge part in this. Which has been proven false, it only effected how the media portrayed it, but lets take a moment. You feel that racism is in our DNA, so we would then be born programmed to hate, regardless of what environment we were raised or life experiences we had. It would also mean that we cannot solve it, because racism is no different than having hazel eyes or red hair. We can cover it up with contacts and wigs but never change. So is this your opinion? We are forever doomed to be a racist species?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #662 on: July 21, 2013, 07:46:16 PM »
Shine, in a place like the Southside of Chicago or even our Moncrief, your "reasonable" approach would get you mugged 9 out of 10 times. If a creepy guy you don't know is following you in the dark & rain, he's typically up to no good. Regardless of that, no one but Zimmerman truly knows what happened. There were no eye witnesses that saw how the actual altercation started or what was truly said. All we really know is that at some point in the fight, the kid got the upper hand and was killed as a result.

sheclown

« Reply #663 on: July 21, 2013, 07:57:18 PM »
Jaybird, how has this been "proven false?"

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #664 on: July 21, 2013, 08:02:17 PM »
Perhaps it all depends on if one believes that profiling or whatever GZ did to make TM a suspect in his eyes is a form of institutional racism or not?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:05:04 PM by thelakelander »

JayBird

« Reply #665 on: July 21, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »

By the juror saying they didn't even consider race, it came down to how the law was written. However changing those laws is not what Tallahassee wants to get stuck with, it's easier to keep it about race. Bottom line, regardless of race this outcome would've been same regardless. The only change would've been it didn't make national news.

So now I ask you again, you believe if that if TM was dressed same but white, or 'skater punk' that GZ wouldn't have followed? And before you answer, refer to the list of GZ's 911 calls that Lake posted.

JayBird

« Reply #666 on: July 21, 2013, 08:28:51 PM »
Perhaps it all depends on if one believes that profiling or whatever GZ did to make TM a suspect in his eyes is a form of institutional racism or not?

Unless he comes out and tells the truth, whatever it is, this is impossible to quantify. And by saying this it implies that if I profile someone of my race that is fine, but not of another race. Then it could be racist. Wouldn't that then be racist in itself?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #667 on: July 21, 2013, 08:30:54 PM »

By the juror saying they didn't even consider race, it came down to how the law was written. However changing those laws is not what Tallahassee wants to get stuck with, it's easier to keep it about race. Bottom line, regardless of race this outcome would've been same regardless. The only change would've been it didn't make national news.

I think it still would have made the news.  It's not every day a kid gets killed by someone who starts the confrontation and that person walks out of court being legally justified in the killing.  The racial stuff from both sides is just keeping it in the news.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #668 on: July 21, 2013, 08:38:31 PM »

Unless he comes out and tells the truth, whatever it is, this is impossible to quantify. And by saying this it implies that if I profile someone of my race that is fine, but not of another race. Then it could be racist. Wouldn't that then be racist in itself?

Institutional racism describes any kind of system of inequality based on race. Concepts like real estate professionals redlining minority dominated neighborhoods, further depressing the land values, and even profiling can be considered forms of Institutional racism.

From wikipedia:

Institutional Racism in the United States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

JayBird

« Reply #669 on: July 21, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »
Actually in that respect it has brought many cases to light that could be cast in the same light. And on another note, I find it interesting how classify a 17 year old male as a kid when he's the victim, but when he is the confirmed absolute instigator we leave that term out and even our legal system tries them as adults. As a matter of fact, in the state o Florida, anything above a 3rd degree felony he would've been charged as an adult in the eyes of the law. The same laws that we say didn't give him justice.

no, not really.  And keep in mind that four other jurors denied that she was describing how they felt or decided..

"racist" implies power, actually.

And this is a favorite semantic game of the quasi racist right.  To pretend that noticing racism is racist in and of itself.  But really, its just semantics.
Actually the official statement from the 'others' never said what they thought sentence should be, all of that has been media interjection. And the reason for the statement was they didn't agree with her "Zimmerman was right in his heart" statement.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #670 on: July 21, 2013, 08:47:36 PM »
The idea of classifying a recently turned 17 year old as a kid came up in another discussion about this case week.  My response was if anyone thinks someone at the age of 17 is a kid, go out and have sex with a 17 year old girl and see how the State responds.

JayBird

« Reply #671 on: July 21, 2013, 08:49:29 PM »
Yes Lake I fully understand your point I am not arguing racism exists of course it does. The problem I have is that in my opinion it isn't the basis here. It will not get the laws changed that need to be. It won't even further the cause of race relations because it has been thrown around so much from this case it's lost it's meaning.

Idk, I just get aggravated with everyone pulling out this race flag in this case because it will not foster progress. All it is doing is making everyone sleep better because they feel like action equals progress. Which means now we'll have to wait for another tragedy to occur and hope then that all parties are the same race so that maybe then we can get the laws changed.

Reminds me of that Birmingham mayor who ran on "I wanna do something". Now he is in jail for fraud and negligence and a few other things. Doing something is always the answer. Sometime you actually have to have a plan, a purpose and follow through. Not get caught up with the flashy tricks of the magician.

JayBird

« Reply #672 on: July 21, 2013, 08:49:53 PM »
The idea of classifying a recently turned 17 year old as a kid came up in another discussion about this case week.  My response was if anyone thinks someone at the age of 17 is a kid, go out and have sex with a 17 year old girl and see how the State responds.
Ha I like that one, very good point!

JayBird

« Reply #673 on: July 21, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »
Actually in that respect it has brought many cases to light that could be cast in the same light. And on another note, I find it interesting how classify a 17 year old male as a kid when he's the victim, but when he is the confirmed absolute instigator we leave that term out and even our legal system tries them as adults. As a matter of fact, in the state o Florida, anything above a 3rd degree felony he would've been charged as an adult in the eyes of the law. The same laws that we say didn't give him justice.

no, not really.  And keep in mind that four other jurors denied that she was describing how they felt or decided..

"racist" implies power, actually.

And this is a favorite semantic game of the quasi racist right.  To pretend that noticing racism is racist in and of itself.  But really, its just semantics.
Actually the official statement from the 'others' never said what they thought sentence should be, all of that has been media interjection. And the reason for the statement was they didn't agree with her "Zimmerman was right in his heart" statement.
exactly.
Sorry that was my bad, I thought you were posting again how four jurors wanted a guilty verdict. I apologize for scanning and not reading. You are right in your assertion, IMO

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #674 on: July 21, 2013, 09:05:40 PM »
Yes Lake I fully understand your point I am not arguing racism exists of course it does. The problem I have is that in my opinion it isn't the basis here. It will not get the laws changed that need to be. It won't even further the cause of race relations because it has been thrown around so much from this case it's lost it's meaning.

I agree that arguing racism will not get the laws changed.  It's been a pet peeve of mine over the last week as well.  I've grown tired of people talking about black-on-black crime, why don't people say anything about the killings in Chicago, and if TM was white and GZ was black, etc.  The major issue here is that the some of our laws need to be reviewed and possibly further defined. No one (white, black, green, blue, etc.) deserves to be gunned down on the street for walking slowly while talking to his girlfriend and eating skittles...only to have that killing justified by state law.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:08:01 PM by thelakelander »