Author Topic: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty  (Read 139579 times)

Ocklawaha

Zimmerman Found Not Guilty
« on: July 13, 2013, 10:21:17 PM »
The justice system at work "Zimmerman Verdict Reached: NOT GUILTY"

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »
Coming from a young black male perspective, kind of crazy and disappointing. I fear for my sons and nephews as they get older and are profiled. System may have worked as structured but I don't believe justice was served. Like Rosa Parks, perhaps this case leads to change. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:38:51 PM by thelakelander »

duvaldude08

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:40:54 PM »
Disappointed is an understatement. Not shocked at all. Didn't even bother watching any of it. I don't even have a reaction to it at this point. Same shit, different toilet. Im sure MLK is rolling over in his grave right now.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:47:49 PM »
^Kind of how I viewed the entire event. Disappointing but not surprising. I pretty much tuned it out over the last few weeks. My belief in the term, there's nothing new under the sun applies to a lot more than just urban planning.

copperfiend

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 11:11:46 PM »
Not surprised. But very disturbed by the message this sends.

FSBA

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 11:13:44 PM »
It is possible to be sad that Trayvon Martin is dead and happy that George Zimmerman is not guilty. Not all tragedies are crimes.

Ocklawaha

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 11:14:59 PM »
Guys, it all comes down to something police officers, public defenders, prosecutors, judges, and every other facet
 of our criminal, civil and legal professions. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK HAPPENED, THE RULE OF LAW HAS BEEN MADE. According to the evidence presented the man was not guilty. Does that mean Zimmerman did or did not profile Martin? Zimmerman wasn't a law enforcement officer and in spite of the media hype, WAS NOT WHITE. The man is Hispanic, who profiled who? This and lots of other details will probably never be known but when the court is in session - only the evidence presented matters. All of our opinions, fears and wishes are either proved or disproved in a court of law. I'm not downplaying what you might feel, just saying. For example, OJ and the infamous murders and trial - did I think he was guilty? Guilty as sin, but the court says he wasn't - thus he wasn't. The same system that worked for OJ worked for Zimmerman, END OF STORY.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:43:20 PM by Ocklawaha »

avonjax

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »
I will try to be rational.
I believe both parties shared some guilt. It is likely Trayvon  was not as sweet and innocent as he appears in the photos but I don't think G Zimmerman is either.
But ultimately George Zimmerman believed he was a big guy with a gun. He believed, in my opinion, that he could take the law into his own hands and instead of being rational and letting the police do their job he followed a young guy who got angry and intended to  defend himself. At that point GZ felt forced to use his gun.
Ultimately GZ caused this death. I would, even with the evidence, have found him guilty of manslaughter.
As much as people hate this, a gun was at fault. I don't think GZ would have followed this kid if he had not been carrying a gun.
And the ridiculous Stand Your Ground law will produce many more cases as tragic and needless as this. (I know that Stand Your Ground has nothing to do with this but I had to add my two cents.)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 11:27:39 PM »
Ock, i don't think those who are disappointed need lectures about what they think and what the laws are. My issue revolves around precedence, the message sent and potential of future conflicts generating similar confrontations like this. Because I've been in situations like this growing up, my personal perspective may be a little different. Nevertheless, I hope this case at least leads to a movement that results in the modification of certain laws and legal interpretations. No one should die from a confrontation generated from being followed in the dark by an armed stranger.

avonjax

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 11:31:19 PM »
And GZ should have stayed in his car. He was directed to do so. Had he stayed in his car Trayvon Martin would be alive.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 11:38:28 PM »
Also, what's with the mention of Zimmerman being called white and OJ getting off? Who cares about GZ's race and trial 20 years ago? No one white, black, yellow or green should be shot down 70 feet from their front door by an armed neighborhood vigilante, who then walks based on the interpretation of our state laws. Such a situation suggests some laws may need to change to keep this type of situation from happening on a routine basis.

FSBA

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 12:13:41 AM »
Zimmerman wasn't "directed" to stay in his car.  If you find a child drowning in the St.Johns river and call 911 the dispatcher would tell you to stand back because they would be legally liable.

Martin could've said "Fuck off, I live with my father down the street" and it would've diffused the situation.

Instead Zimmerman followed Martin on a public street, Martin verbally accosted Zimmerman, followed by Martin punching Zimmerman, pinning him to the ground, and telling him he would "die tonight motherfucker."

FSBA

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 12:15:43 AM »
Also, no matter the truth in the Zimmerman case, a lady in Jax got sentenced today to 20 years for firing warning shots off at her abusive husband. I don't care which way you go on the Zimmerman case, if you don't agree that this incident (warning shots) was a proper Stand your Ground case and that she should be freed then you probably shouldn't be allowed to have opinions on firearm defense laws.

spuwho

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 12:24:18 AM »
Huge distaste for the way the media, politicians and self described "spokespeople" have been twisting this since the beginning. Instead of just being patient and let the evidence be presented in court.

FSBA