Author Topic: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty  (Read 139585 times)

JayBird

Re: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2013, 09:07:24 AM »
Coming from a young black male perspective, kind of crazy and disappointing. I fear for my sons and nephews as they get older and are profiled. System may have worked as structured but I don't believe justice was served. Like Rosa Parks, perhaps this case leads to change. Time will tell.
^oooo those pesky messy cans of worms again. 

Good points muffintop, though I don't fully agree with them, welcome to MJ.

JayBird

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 09:09:56 AM »
If TM had been white and dressed the same way, as many young white guys do, I think GZ would have done the same thing.

+100

Watching the trial I was very surprised the State did not spend much time on the mental state and psychosis of GZ that night.

avonjax

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2013, 09:15:22 AM »
Coming from a young black male perspective, kind of crazy and disappointing. I fear for my sons and nephews as they get older and are profiled. System may have worked as structured but I don't believe justice was served. Like Rosa Parks, perhaps this case leads to change. Time will tell.

I work in a large retail establishment and we profile, deliberate or not, young guys who look, dress and act a certain way because they are very often the ones who steal. Most of our theft fits into this category of people.  But guess what, we do the same to whites and Hispanics not just black guys who fit into this category. I'm not saying it's right or that normal looking people don't steal but very often young men are our biggest problems. Wearing hoodies doesn't make you bad, but it also makes you look suspicious at times. Some of our thieves, both black and white, try to hide their identity from our security cameras by wearing them. But I can promise you we are equal opportunity profiles. Race and sex mean nothing.

fsquid

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 09:17:48 AM »
The crime of murder requires certain specifically described elements in order to make a  case.  It didn't seem like the prosecution did that.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2013, 09:28:40 AM »

I just saw a pretty detailed exhibition on Race: Are We So Different at a museum in Birmingham three days ago. There's a lot more to this than the perspective you've just presented.  I'll have to provide a detailed post later because it's going to require me to dig up some statistical data and links and I won't have that type of time to invest in a post until I get back to Jax.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »
If TM had been white and dressed the same way, as many young white guys do, I think GZ would have done the same thing.

I don't. Evidently, there were 45 previous 911 calls GZ had made concerning black youths he thought were suspicious over a short time period. His intentions may not have been racial but there could have been some cultural ignorance involved that was a part of his profiling. I'm sure some of this stuff will come to light when the civil case pops up.

avonjax

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2013, 09:36:52 AM »
Zimmerman wasn't "directed" to stay in his car.  If you find a child drowning in the St.Johns river and call 911 the dispatcher would tell you to stand back because they would be legally liable.

Martin could've said "Fuck off, I live with my father down the street" and it would've diffused the situation.

Instead Zimmerman followed Martin on a public street, Martin verbally accosted Zimmerman, followed by Martin punching Zimmerman, pinning him to the ground, and telling him he would "die tonight motherfucker."

According to my understanding he was told to wait in his car for the police to arrive.  He thought he was a  "big man"  because he had a gun. How did he know TM didn't  have a gun? That is my point. Don't think you have the power unless you have no other choice. If being followed by a stranger i think MOST people who have responded similarly to TM. 
Stay in your car and the kid lives. Be a big shot and a kid dies. TM may have been the biggest THUG in Sanford but GZ instigated the event. I bet without that gun he would have stayed in his car and waited for the police. I believe at the time of the shooting that GZ was protecting himself, but it didn't have to get to the point.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »
Wearing hoodies doesn't make you bad, but it also makes you look suspicious at times.

To be fair to the dead, the kid was killed on a rainy night in winter.  If there is ever an appropriate time to wear a hoodie, it was the night GZ shot TM.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »

Um.  yeah.  Utter bullshit.

There is no difference, really, between the races when it comes to crime or character.  Just who is more likely to get charged, arrested and convicted.

Maybe the one who should be working on character is the type of person who still believes otherwise---despite all the available current information and statistics.

The exhibit I attended pretty much presented this case with a ton of statistical data and historical relationships to our political structure.  The key relationship focuses on economic level, not race.

avonjax

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2013, 09:40:45 AM »

I don't. Evidently, there were 45 previous 911 calls GZ had made concerning black youths he thought were suspicious over a short time period. His intentions may not have been racial but there could have been some cultural ignorance involved that was a part of his profiling. I'm sure some of this stuff will come to light when the civil case pops up.

I think what I meant is GZ would assume he was black if he was wearing a hoodie and he couldn't determine if he was black or not. Believe me a lot of young white guys wear hoodies too and it's hard to tell the difference. He is probably a racist.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2013, 09:44:14 AM »
Gotcha. I misunderstood.

avonjax

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2013, 09:46:09 AM »
Wearing hoodies doesn't make you bad, but it also makes you look suspicious at times.

To be fair to the dead, the kid was killed on a rainy night in winter.  If there is ever an appropriate time to wear a hoodie, it was the night GZ shot TM.

Your are correct but I swear some young guys of both races come into where I work even in summer wearing them. I guess what I'm saying it draws undue attention to them.

avonjax

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »
Gotcha. I misunderstood.

Thanks
I just don't want ANYONE to think that I think the death of TM was justified. Even if he was a terrible young man GZ caused his death for NO reason. It's sad he goes unpunished.

avonjax

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »

Um.  yeah.  Utter bullshit.

There is no difference, really, between the races when it comes to crime or character.  Just who is more likely to get charged, arrested and convicted.

Maybe the one who should be working on character is the type of person who still believes otherwise---despite all the available current information and statistics.

The exhibit I attended pretty much presented this case with a ton of statistical data and historical relationships to our political structure.  The key relationship focuses on economic level, not race.

poverty has always been the real difference, lake.

anybody with white trash cousins in the south (and we all have them) can tell you the crime stories.

Its the same as old Bill's crazy opinions on black people and food stamps.  68% of food stamp recipients are single white women living in poverty.

The statistical reality just doesnt penetrate the stereotypes.

Amen Stephen
It angers me when Southern white rednecks infer that all food stamp and welfare abuse is black. I know as many whites on both, probably more.
Of course there are lazy bums of both races taking advantage of government assistance, but so may white people want to blame the abuse on blacks.
Those programs are sad necessities and most of the people who use them are in real need. But we have become such a greedy selfish society we resent our tax dollars going to help them.
The wealthy abuse the system just as much as the poor, yet they never get called out.
What are we if we can't help our neighbors in need? We don't mind our tax dollars being used to kill men, women in children in foreign lands, but we don't care if people in our own country are starving.
The GZ/TM horror show is a prime example of the abuse of guns, power and the disrespect of human life.
My rant on Social programs and how much so many people hate them, for me, is another example of our disrespect of human life.
I was brought up in a household that taught respect for EVERYONE. Young, old, rich, poor, mentally or physically disabled, black, white, Hispanic, Mexican and so on. I was taught to obey the law and especially in a volatile situation, let the police do their job. I was taught to work and work hard and give your employer your best. Not to resent people better off than you.
I was also taught that it was not evil if due to circumstances beyond your control you had to take advantage of programs designed for this purpose. And by no means resent others who also had no choice.

For me this horrible tragedy is just another example of where we are at this point in time and our misguided view of fellow humans of every race.

Dog Walker

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »
The 2nd degree murder charge was overreach.  If they had gone with manslaughter or negligent homicide (I'm not sure of the difference) the chances of a guilty verdict would have been much stronger.  Trying to prove "malice" just undermined the credibility of their whole case even if manslaughter was added at the last minute.
When all else fails hug the dog.