Author Topic: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty  (Read 139594 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty
« Reply #465 on: July 17, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »
Actually, your view is shared by many and most of the points you are pointing to are points with which I agree.  I think the Zimmerman case has become a dumping ground for long felt injustices that are valid at their core but are not bred of this case as much as this case has been tied to a legacy of past hurts, outrages and victimization.

From what I can tell, the verdict based upon the state law legally allowing what happened is what has really fanned the fire.  GZ goes to jail for murder, manslaughter or what ever, then life goes on. However, profile and kill black youth minding his own business, then get verdict of not guilty by all white jury and you have all the necessary ingredients for what's taking place now.

For many, this situation is a harsh reminder of many past injustices.  If the focus of the issue is the law and working to change it, then the discussion being bred from this case is valid.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:51:38 PM by thelakelander »

BridgeTroll

Re: Trayvon Martin Case plus related discussion of Law and Racism
« Reply #466 on: July 17, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
It's Zimmerman initial pursuit that muddies everything to me in this case

The key word here is "pursuit".  Does the act of following someone constitute pursuit?  As a neighborhood watch person... should he have the right to follow to find out where the "suspicious" person is headed?  Is this overzealous?  Is it overzealous enough to be addressed in the law above?

Mitch Weaver

« Reply #467 on: July 17, 2013, 12:49:56 PM »
Not sure why everyone is so upset with the Stand Your Ground Law. It was not applicable in this case and it disproportionately BENEFITS black suspects more than white suspects in Florida.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #468 on: July 17, 2013, 12:50:08 PM »
Original Jury Count:  Five of the six believed Zimmerman was guilty.

And now the other jury members are distancing themselves from the woman who spoke on Anderson Cooper.

By the way, her attorney husband had already signed a book deal for her about her experiences on the trial.

http://news.yahoo.com/zimmerman-jury-initially-split-3-2-1-verdict-005342718.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The jury in George Zimmerman's trial initially had three votes for not guilty, two votes for manslaughter and one vote for second-degree murder when deliberations began, juror B-37 told CNN on Monday.

The jury later reached a unanimous verdict of not guilty.

"There was a couple of them in there that wanted to find him guilty of something. And after hours and hours and hours of deliberating over the law, and reading it over and over and over again, we just decided there's no other way or place to go," she told CNN.
Original count had three not guilty's, two for manslaughter and one for murder 2.  The book deal was pulled according to reporting by CNN.  Four other jurors made the statement that the juror on Anderson Coopers CNN show did not speak for them just herself.

NotNow

« Reply #469 on: July 17, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »
Lake,

I would ask you the same question...how, exactly, would you rewrite the law?

I'd probably start here. 

776.041?Use of force by aggressor.(a)?Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or

(b)?In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

These are the statutes that I believe apply to civilians.  To see all of Chapter 776:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/Chapter776

OK, it looks like the most applicable to this case.  Would you simply erase this exception or word it differently?
"We may yet become the first nation to die from a terminal case of frivolity. Other great nations in history have been threatened by barbarians at the gates. We may be the first to be threatened by self-indulgent silliness inside the gates." - Thomas Sowell

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #470 on: July 17, 2013, 12:56:53 PM »
Not sure why everyone is so upset with the Stand Your Ground Law. It was not applicable in this case and it disproportionately BENEFITS black suspects more than white suspects in Florida.

It's not about black vs white suspects.  This type of thinking helps fan divide and flames as well.  The major issue is the state law allowing the aggressor to pursue and kill the victim and then go home without any punishment. Race is then dumped into it when you start looking at our history and a ton of public policies that have been based upon skin color.  It then goes haywire when all the self interest groups and media on both sides jump into the mix.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #471 on: July 17, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »
Not sure about being aware of other "vigilantes" in the community profiling Blacks comment Ennis. :)  This is a racially mixed community with Blacks in residence.  Unless you have proof of their being "vigilantes" in that community perhaps that descriptive is unfair.

Maybe, but what else do you call an over zealous neighborhood watch person who keeps going after someone they've personally profiled despite being told not too?  Nevertheless, by the same token, there's no proof that the victim (who was not a permanent resident) knew black youth were being profiled by people like GZ.  All the documented evidence suggests the victim thought GZ was a creepy guy following him to do bodily harm.

Btw, how did GZ get the position of neighborhood watch guy?  Was he elected or appointed by some home owner's association or did a few guys in the area take this task upon themselves?

During and after the trial several month's of reports detailing criminal activity in the community were presented into evidence.  In one case, a woman from that community testified to the case which directly impacted her, which had to do with two teenage Black kids who broke into her home while she was in it.  One of the teens was caught and charge and as it turned out he lived in the self same neighborhood.  It also turns out that the other crimes also had young Blacks as the perp and this is a matter of record.  In that light, I don't think we can truly claim there were
vigilante attitudes at work here and Zimmerman was feeding into them.  I think many in the neighborhood were on alert to suspicious behavior, especially after the break in with the woman and child home alone.  As it turns out the police got there in time and grabbed the offender.

This doesn't suggest that the victim knew anything about this.  All he had was a weird guy, he did not know, following him on a dark rainy and cold night in a little country town he wasn't as familiar with.
The victim would have known nothing of this.  My question was geared toward the statement that there were other vigilantes profiling Blacks.  There is no proof of that.  That's what I am saying.  I think if we are to get through this conversation and keep our heads on straight, we need to speak to the situation as factually as we can and this case is really short of facts.  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:08:21 PM by Cheshire Cat »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #472 on: July 17, 2013, 01:00:33 PM »
Lake,

I would ask you the same question...how, exactly, would you rewrite the law?

I'd probably start here. 

776.041?Use of force by aggressor.(a)?Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or

(b)?In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

These are the statutes that I believe apply to civilians.  To see all of Chapter 776:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/Chapter776

OK, it looks like the most applicable to this case.  Would you simply erase this exception or word it differently?

I'd leave this up to those more well versed in law but I'd probably erase this exception.  However, before that can be done, this would have to be properly reviewed in context with other laws on the books.  Just isolating and erasing it would be cherry picking and could have negative impacts elsewhere.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #473 on: July 17, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »
Not sure about being aware of other "vigilantes" in the community profiling Blacks comment Ennis. :)  This is a racially mixed community with Blacks in residence.  Unless you have proof of their being "vigilantes" in that community perhaps that descriptive is unfair.

Maybe, but what else do you call an over zealous neighborhood watch person who keeps going after someone they've personally profiled despite being told not too?  Nevertheless, by the same token, there's no proof that the victim (who was not a permanent resident) knew black youth were being profiled by people like GZ.  All the documented evidence suggests the victim thought GZ was a creepy guy following him to do bodily harm.

Btw, how did GZ get the position of neighborhood watch guy?  Was he elected or appointed by some home owner's association or did a few guys in the area take this task upon themselves?

During and after the trial several month's of reports detailing criminal activity in the community were presented into evidence.  In one case, a woman from that community testified to the case which directly impacted her, which had to do with two teenage Black kids who broke into her home while she was in it.  One of the teens was caught and charge and as it turned out he lived in the self same neighborhood.  It also turns out that the other crimes also had young Blacks as the perp and this is a matter of record.  In that light, I don't think we can truly claim there were
vigilante attitudes at work here and Zimmerman was feeding into them.  I think many in the neighborhood were on alert to suspicious behavior, especially after the break in with the woman and child home alone.  As it turns out the police got there in time and grabbed the offender.

This doesn't suggest that the victim knew anything about this.  All he had was a weird guy, he did not know, following him on a dark rainy and cold night in a little country town he wasn't as familiar with.
The victim would have known nothing of this.  My question was geared toward the statement that there were other vigilantes profiling Blacks.  There is not proof of that is what I am saying.  I think if we are to get through this conversation and keep our heads on straight, we need to speak to the situation as factually as we can and this case is really short of facts.  :)

That's not what I was meaning to imply when I wrote this:

TM was also visiting his dad, who lived in this gated community. I don't know if anyone is aware that he knew neighborhood vigilantes were over zealously profiling black youths in the area. Perhaps if he did, the situation would have ended up differently.  Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Maybe it should have been written like this:

TM was also visiting his dad, who lived in this gated community. I don't know if anyone is aware that he knew a neighborhood vigilante was over zealously profiling black youths in the area. Perhaps if he did, the situation would have ended up differently.  Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #474 on: July 17, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »
Boy .... lots of discussion since I've dropped by.  The killing and the verdict is all over the media .... all over the world.

It's good though .... raises issues needing discussion and resolution.

Too bad there is no clear evidence at this point to convict GZ.  Maybe someone, out of the blue, will come forth as a witness, or will come up with a good video of the events ...  with sound ....  so that a jury can convict based on what actually happened.  As we've seen, its difficult to convict based on assumptions or emotional aspects.  And I am so happy for all citizens that murder convictions cannot be based on assumptions, but must rely on facts and on clear evidence.

Even without a conviction, the movers and shakers can now work on needed changes in any laws about guns and stuff.... and maybe about related societal problems.

I still think that the FBC had something to do with this thing.     

More info will come about about the character of everyone involved during the civil trial and the burden of proof will be much different. 

Assuming there is one.

It doesn't make much sense to sue someone that doesn't have money.
I don't quite agree.  It does make sense if one is interested in justice, not money.  But if it is about money, this type of suit means that if Zimmerman is found guilty he can possibly serve time depending upon Florida Law, but if there is a financial finding that would mean that if Zimmerman ever wrote a book or took a movie deal along with a complete variety of money making endeavors, that money would go to the financial judgement i.e. the Martin's.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:09:26 PM by Cheshire Cat »

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #475 on: July 17, 2013, 01:06:34 PM »
I think what may have helped push him forward is that the officer then asked him twice about where Trayvon was located and for a street name.

If you're neighborhood watch guy, shouldn't you be familiar with your neighborhood?  One would think, someone familiar with their neighborhood would be able to answer those questions immediately and without any type of movement on their part.
Agreed.  But Zimmerman may have seen this as some sort of an indicator to move forward. 

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #476 on: July 17, 2013, 01:17:43 PM »
I think I said earlier in this thread that this discussion is a necessary one and one that can only be had with civility.  There is a tendency on the part of some to feel as though statements outside of their viewpoint are attacks on their point of view.  I think allowing ourselves to get caught up in a contest of words and dragging up statements made by posters in the past on other issues really does nothing to enhance the discussion but rather derails an important conversation and replaces it with personal tit for tat exchanges.  I think everyone should be allowed the courtesy of their opinion without being called names or supporters of child murder or any other thing that is insulting.  Reasonable people can look at a single situation and have reasonable differences in their views.  Can we please keep this about the issues at hand and not about insults? Can we also agree not to take personal insult from others views but rather to actually listen to what their feelings are?  We don't have to agree with them but I promise you, understanding others views and why they may feel the way they do is key to unlocking the differences among people, including perceptions of race. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:19:41 PM by Cheshire Cat »

duvalbill

« Reply #477 on: July 17, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »
Boy .... lots of discussion since I've dropped by.  The killing and the verdict is all over the media .... all over the world.

Too bad there is no clear evidence at this point to convict GZ.  Maybe someone, out of the blue, will come forth as a witness, or will come up with a good video of the events ...  with sound ....  so that a jury can convict based on what actually happened.  As we've seen, its difficult to convict based on assumptions or emotional aspects.  And I am so happy for all citizens that murder convictions cannot be based on assumptions, but must rely on facts and on clear evidence.

Even without a conviction, the movers and shakers can now work on needed changes in any laws about guns and stuff.... and maybe about related societal problems.

More info will come about about the character of everyone involved during the civil trial and the burden of proof will be much different. 

Assuming there is one.

I don't quite agree.  It does make sense if one is interested in justice, not money.  But if it is about money, this type of suit means that if Zimmerman is found guilty he can possibly serve time depending upon Florida Law, but if there is a financial finding that would mean that if Zimmerman ever wrote a book or took a movie deal along with a complete variety of money making endeavors, that money would go to the financial judgement i.e. the Martin's.

Debtor jail doesn't exist anymore (Unless it pertains to child support), so he's not getting any jail time.

Florida is considered a debtor's paradise, so it would likely be a waste of money to pursue a civil suit.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #478 on: July 17, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »

Assuming there is one.

Debtor jail doesn't exist anymore (Unless it pertains to child support), so he's not getting any jail time.

Florida is considered a debtor's paradise, so it would likely be a waste of money to pursue a civil suit.

hardly.  there are book deals and movie rights already in the offering.  THis murderer is going to walk scot free and make a milion dollars for killing a kid in the suburbs.  Welcome to America bro.
The exploitation of this tragedy is already shameful and growing.  Pierce Morgan on CNN had the young lady friend of Trayvon on his show.  The first thing out of his mouth to her was "You know you are famous now right"?  So it goes.  Politicians and folks looking to profit are all over this right now. 

NotNow

« Reply #479 on: July 17, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »
Lake,

I agree that negative impacts are a likely result.  "Provoking" can mean a lot of things.  If StephenDare! is following someone down the street calling them an "autistic fugue"  and commences to get pounded to the point of losing his life, does he forfeit his right to self defense of his life by his in ital actions?  (Sorry Dare!, just a recent example ;) )

I can see many situations where the current law would seem to fit, and many where the current law does not seem correct.  Like many areas of law, it is a judgement call.  We can't legislate every detail.  I understand the history of race relations and the need for attention to equal treatment.  It must be tough to try to write these laws to fit in every case.  It must be tough to be a juror in such a case and make a decision to the best of your ability.  Our system has a series of decisions that have to be made before a conviction takes place.  Normally, a Police Officer must feel there is probable cause for arrest.  This decision is reviewed by both Police supervisors and in most cases of violence by the State Attorney's office.  The Prosecutor must agree not only with the probable cause but that there is sufficient evidence for conviction.  The Police and the State Attorney are also responsible for ensuring that any evidence which tends to exonerate the accused is collected and shared as well as any incriminating evidence.  A Grand Jury may be consulted.  A Judge will decide any motions and oversee the selection of a jury of peers.  A fair trial must be held.  A LOT of decisions and a LOT of people must decide before guilt is assigned.  In order for this system to be accepted, the people have to be reasonably certain that the people making the decisions are fair.  The people have to be reasonably certain that the laws are fair and equally apply as written.  This is where we are at.  The jury has spoken in the Zimmerman trial.  But it is apparent that a substantial number of the public does not have confidence in the system, be it the people making the decisions or the fairness and equality of the laws. 

What I am attempting to do here is establish any logical argument against the laws...the applicable Florida State Statutes.  I agree with Lake as to what actual statute applies, but I would hesitate to change the laws.  I recognize that there are many who would disagree with me.  But I am confident in my logic.  I believe that we now have to work on the confidence of the people in the legal system that we have.  I am still willing to entertain any suggested changes in the law as well.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:13:02 PM by NotNow »
"We may yet become the first nation to die from a terminal case of frivolity. Other great nations in history have been threatened by barbarians at the gates. We may be the first to be threatened by self-indulgent silliness inside the gates." - Thomas Sowell