Author Topic: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty  (Read 139553 times)

sheclown

Re: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty
« Reply #705 on: August 04, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #706 on: August 08, 2013, 01:33:50 AM »

Cover of this month's Ebony Magazine:

sheclown

« Reply #707 on: August 23, 2013, 07:50:53 AM »
Great article by Tonyaa Weathersbee
quotes  from the article:

http://blackamericaweb.com/158649/black-youths-and-the-march-on-washington-fighting-a-new-breed-of-racism/2/

NotNow

« Reply #708 on: August 23, 2013, 02:02:08 PM »
That is just a bunch of excuses.  Why can't we hold an honest discussion in this country?  The Zimmerman/Martin case has been twisted into something that has no relation to the actual event.  While I felt that a manslaughter conviction was the proper ending, the trial, as they are wont to do, didn't work out that way.  Since then the rhetoric has been way over the top.  This country has made great strides towards equal rights for all.  While there are now, and there will always be, isolated instances of racism, sexism and the like, we have attained a remarkably equal society.

What is required now is self motivation and individual responsibility.  ANYONE can make it in this country.  But it takes hard work, just like it always has. 

Weathersbee's excuse making as well as the double standards held by the "civil rights" leaders and our top government officials hurts much more than it helps.  It is well past time in this country to recognize individuality and for each person  to be responsible for their actions regardless of whatever "group" they happen to belong to. 
"We may yet become the first nation to die from a terminal case of frivolity. Other great nations in history have been threatened by barbarians at the gates. We may be the first to be threatened by self-indulgent silliness inside the gates." - Thomas Sowell

Shine

« Reply #709 on: August 26, 2013, 07:59:47 AM »
That is just a bunch of excuses.  Why can't we hold an honest discussion in this country?  The Zimmerman/Martin case has been twisted into something that has no relation to the actual event.

Good comment. 

civil42806

« Reply #710 on: August 26, 2013, 07:11:02 PM »
People arent stupid.  When there is a gap in the law they will exploit it.  I would suspect that there will be a few people gunned down on the poor side of town by residents that people dont think should have guns and use the same laws as defense.

This is a terrible outcome, and we will all reap the hurricane.

Guess we did

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9583091/baseball-player-killed-kids-were-bored
http://news.yahoo.com/random-attack-spokane-leaves-wwii-veteran-dead-144713677.html

or is that not what you meant?

JayBird

« Reply #712 on: August 29, 2013, 02:10:06 PM »
Though I agree I do question the validity and timing. Seems suspicious that she would wait until after his acquittal before coming forward which relieves any investigator from verifying it and also timed exactly for when she found guilty of purjury for lying about their assets in a bond hearing. Not saying she isn't the victim, the signs are there, just saying it does raise suspicions about how much of this factual.

civil42806

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #714 on: September 18, 2013, 09:20:39 AM »
What's the problem? The guy got arrested. Kind of reaching if you ask me.

NotNow

« Reply #715 on: September 18, 2013, 05:12:13 PM »
Those darn white Hispanics are at it again

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/09/press_buries_black-on-hispanic_hit_while_killer_hires_trayvon_martin_lawyer.html

really? So your take away from the whole Stand Your Ground murder of an innocent teenager is about the blacks and latins?

And you wonder why people are skeptical of the kill everybody law?

priceless.

I believe the point of the article that civil posted was the lack of objectivity of the media.  Your comments would seem to cement the fact that his argument can extend to many individuals as well. 
"We may yet become the first nation to die from a terminal case of frivolity. Other great nations in history have been threatened by barbarians at the gates. We may be the first to be threatened by self-indulgent silliness inside the gates." - Thomas Sowell

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #716 on: September 18, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/09/press_buries_black-on-hispanic_hit_while_killer_hires_trayvon_martin_lawyer.html

really? So your take away from the whole Stand Your Ground murder of an innocent teenager is about the blacks and latins?

priceless.

I believe the point of the article that civil posted was the lack of objectivity of the media.  Your comments would seem to cement the fact that his argument can extend to many individuals as well. 

Yeah, I'm completely missing it.  People get killed everyday.  Those who are identified as the killer are typically arrested, regardless of race.  I'm just not seeing how this should be a national news story and I seriously doubt it was completely ignored by local media in that particular community.

The problem is that the issue about the Trayvon Martin killing was the fact that Zimmerman wasn't even arrested and no investigation was even initiated until there was public outrage.

This....

NotNow

« Reply #717 on: September 18, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »

priceless.

only for you.

Civil mentioned 'white latins' as an intro into an article  which is supposed to make us believe in some imaginary hypocrisy on the part of the 'press' about the racial components of violence because 'trayvon martin'.

The problem is that the issue about the Trayvon Martin killing was the fact that Zimmerman wasnt even arrested and no investigation was even initiated until there was public outrage.  This despite the admitted profiling that happened.  So while race played a part in the story as a result of inexcusability of Zimmerman's initial actions and his invocation of Stand Your Gun laws as a reason he should be charged with anything, it was only part of the story.

Civil seems to think the fact that a journalist described Zimmerman as a 'white latin' was the most important thing to pay attention to.  It was literally the least important thing and has become the catch phrase of every racist worth his salt in the right wing bubble(---with no such implication that Civil is one of these racists.)

I will not attempt to put words in civil's mouth, and I will let him defend his own words.  But I would take issue with your characterization "imaginary hypocrisy" on the part of the press.  I believe a strong argument can be made for real hypocrisy and double standards in reporting. 

I will not defend Zimmerman's actions, and I admit that I am not completely familiar with the case, but I do not recall any "admitted profiling".  And the "stand your ground" defense in the law was never requested, nor granted. 

Again, I'll let civil explain his meaning of the term "white hispanic" although it seems quite clear to me. 

I do wonder however, if you realize how often you use the "racist" argument?  For a really white guy you seem to throw that word around pretty often.

NotNow

« Reply #718 on: September 18, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »

priceless.

Yeah, I'm completely missing it.  People get killed everyday.  Those who are identified as the killer are typically arrested, regardless of race.  I'm just not seeing how this should be a national news story and I seriously doubt it was completely ignored by local media in that particular community.

The problem is that the issue about the Trayvon Martin killing was the fact that Zimmerman wasn't even arrested and no investigation was even initiated until there was public outrage.

This....

Lake, it is not uncommon for the killer to not be arrested in self defense cases.  In this case, there actually WAS an initial investigation.  As I stated in my reply to StephenDare!, I will not defend Zimmerman's actions.  With the facts as I read them in the Times Union at the time, I felt that a manslaughter charge was warranted as well.  Now, I could certainly understand arguments that the initial investigation was inadequate.  The uproar over the case did actually cause the case to be looked at further.  But the fact of the matter is that after all of the intense exposure and all of the investigation, a jury of twelve came to the same conclusion as the original investigation.  That is our system.

I don't know whether the case civil quoted should be a national news story or not.  There have been a number of "black murders white/hispanic" stories in the news lately.  This could be a reaction to the intense media interest in the Martin case.  How can media bias (real or percieved) be stopped?  I don't know.  I think the media justs serves up what they think will sell.  I believe in the First Amendment as much as the rest of the Bill of Rights.  The media will never be perfect, but they should be as free as possible.

The real challenge here is to regain honest and fruitful discussion.  I would emphasize HONEST. 

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #719 on: September 18, 2013, 11:41:07 PM »
I don't see the big issue here but we can agree to disagree.  Many of us just view things through different prisms and there's nothing wrong with that.  For me, I don't even have the interest in attempting to really get into a debate on this topic.

I think the media justs serves up what they think will sell.

Of course! However, this isn't anything new.  It's not out of the ordinary that for profit entities will focus on what generates revenue for them.  If they didn't, they wouldn't exist.  That goes for everything from media and fast food restaurants to home supply companies. 

Maybe it's just me but I think you guys spend to much time focusing on the "media".  There's all sorts of "media" out there.  Whatever spin on news you're looking for can be found pretty easily.