Author Topic: It's Time to Welcome Uber to Jacksonville  (Read 32116 times)

ProjectMaximus

Noone

Re: It's Time to Welcome Uber to Jacksonville
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 06:10:20 AM »
^I believe there is legislation pending right now before city council to have golf carts street legal in a golfing community. Are the Ric-shaws still around?

fieldafm

Noone

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 10:45:58 AM »
^I believe there is legislation pending right now before city council to have golf carts street legal in a golfing community. Are the Ric-shaws still around?

Noone

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 08:39:48 PM »
City council is listening to the Public Hearing on Uber right now. 2013-554
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:43:49 PM by Noone »

The Compound

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 10:57:23 PM »
I hope it goes through. I would sign up as an uberx driver. Im self employed and work from home, so it could help me out possibly. I like that you can just do it when you want. I also like that the passengers are rated as well as drivers. I was going to sign up for Lyft, but the pink moustache was a deal breaker. I refuse to put that on my car. lol.

Rynjny

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 09:28:56 AM »
http://blog.uber.com/jaxleadsflorida

Looks like it's been aprroved! So excited for this.

fieldafm

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »
http://blog.uber.com/jaxleadsflorida

Looks like it's been aprroved! So excited for this.

Richard Clark received a campaign contribution from Yellow Cab... explaining his vote against the measure.  ;)

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 02:09:52 PM »
There was a protest downtown the day before yesterday.  All the local cab companies drove in a circle in front of city hall.  They have dug in against Uber.  From my view, Uber is only a logical step in the days of technology and will not stop folks from taking regular cabs when the need is there.

tufsu1

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »
^ especially since Uber isn't exactly cheap

The Compound

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 10:36:51 PM »
True, it's not as cheap as a cab and will exclude people and half the time Ive ever called a cab, I have a to wait 45 minutes to an hour, or they just never come. Also, not to mention half the "cab companies" are all owned by the same people. I think Uber is a great thing for Jacksonville.

Rynjny

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 10:43:47 PM »
True, it's not as cheap as a cab and will exclude people and half the time Ive ever called a cab, I have a to wait 45 minutes to an hour, or they just never come. Also, not to mention half the "cab companies" are all owned by the same people. I think Uber is a great thing for Jacksonville.

Yup, last time I've called a cab company and schedule a pick up time and they never came. Taxi service in this city are just unreliable.

The Compound

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 10:50:14 PM »
And thats truly sad for a city as big as ours with horrible public transportation. Uber can solve several issues, hopefully.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 08:58:32 AM »
I had to use a cab once and exactly once in this city, it was an hour late and resulted in a story you'd think I was making up if I told it, I basically got taken hostage. I have never and would never consider using one since, at least not here.

Josh

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »
I'm surprised to see no new threads or discussions, but Uber technically began operating here in town this past weekend. Trips during FL/GA weekend were completely free, but there were never any cars available when I launched the app. Since they know I at least tried, on Monday Uber sent me a $10 credit to my account to use for my next trip.

Yesterday afternoon I received an email from Uber, and for the for the indefinite future, all rides on Uber are going to be free (Jax sure does get a lot of free transport options). I fired up the app this morning, and there are 2 black cars operating out of the downtown area; one parking near the Prudential building, and one parking near the courthouse. A few times that I've checked this morning, they've been serving fares due to not being available. I caught one car returning from the Northside, and just now there is one returning from across the Buckman Bridge. I'm not sure if this is indicative of people taking advantage of a free ride, or if these long-distance trips are indicative of what we all assume is what the average Jax resident will require.