Author Topic: Revised Fuller Warren Bridge Plans To Be Released Today  (Read 28934 times)

fsujax

Re: Revised Fuller Warren Bridge Plans To Be Released Today
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 07:34:45 PM »
I agree with the Stockton on ramp movement. It seems they could have just extended the lane to create a longer merge lane. Glad to see the path added. Pretty neat.

tufsu1

Re: Revised Fuller Warren Bridge Plans Revealed
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 09:05:06 PM »
The only things not shown on the map are the replacement of the stormwater ponds under I-95 and the aesthetic treatments on some of the major overpasses (Park & Stockton St for example).  Am curious to hear more about these elements at the public meeting

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 09:13:51 PM »
Ponds: They aren't going to construct new ponds. They're going to retrofit some other existing ponds to accommodate the needed capacity.

Aesthetic Treatments: FDOT stated they aren't using SIS funds to spend on aesthetics. However, they won't stand in the way of local funds being used for this.

tufsu1

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 09:46:23 PM »
^ this is something the community needs to stand up against.  Nobody said they have to use SIS funds (or even Federal $), but if they want to put a massive road project through historic urban neighborhoods, some context-sensitive solutions should be a must.

Ocklawaha

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 11:50:15 PM »
In defense of FDOT and the Jacksonville Expressway Authority, that Roosevelt connector wasn't engineered as some afterthought of a ramp. When the Expressway system was launched in Jacksonville it ran from the end of Roosevelt, along the 95 corridor past the west side of downtown, then crossed the Trout and hooked into North Main Street at the Imeson Airport. The Fuller Warren was a 4 lane lift span (yeah, I know... ON A EXPRESSWAY) and that dumped the traffic onto Atlantic and Philips. Southside Blvd was considered as a future I-95 corridor, and the Arlington Expressway, Haines Street Expressway and 20Th Street Expressway, all completed the system. Most large interchanges were cloverleafs with 20 mph, hairpin turns...bordering on corners. You can still experience one or two of those around town but most notable is the Airport exit which is ugly and horribly outdated as a door to our city. In the 50's and very early 60's, we actually were a national leader in FREEway development, it was the Interstate system that finally reached our system and taxed the hell out of it's capacity, not the other way around. 'Who's on first?' WE WERE!

Ocklawaha

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 11:57:05 PM »
Just two words to improve on this Councilman Lumb:

1. ICONIC

2. SIGNATURE

Since we are apparently getting a newer-new bridge, why not push the issue to make it another of our iconic bridges. Pillars of light? Blue neon pointed skyward? How about green, the original Fuller Warren color? Frigging amazing columns with banners? Signature streetlight fixtures? Decorative metal panels attached to the side walls? Leave every damn tourist that zooms past us to feed the mouse talking about what a STUNNING beautiful bridge, view and city we have. Some of those ooh's and ah's will come home to roost in the form of money, investment and new residents.

Ocklawaha

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 12:23:14 AM »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 05:38:08 AM »
I agree. However, that's the stuff FDOT believes local money should pay for.

IrvAdams

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »
Just two words to improve on this Councilman Lumb:

1. ICONIC

2. SIGNATURE

Since we are apparently getting a newer-new bridge, why not push the issue to make it another of our iconic bridges. Pillars of light? Blue neon pointed skyward? How about green, the original Fuller Warren color? Frigging amazing columns with banners? Signature streetlight fixtures? Decorative metal panels attached to the side walls? Leave every damn tourist that zooms past us to feed the mouse talking about what a STUNNING beautiful bridge, view and city we have. Some of those ooh's and ah's will come home to roost in the form of money, investment and new residents.

Well stated. Excellent. Let's make it unique. Let's turn some heads.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 09:25:22 AM »

Ock, where is this?

fsquid

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 09:29:11 AM »

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
I agree. However, that's the stuff FDOT believes local money should pay for.

Who pays for these this type of signage in the Tampa area:

those poles differ from the rest of the state and they're all over Tampa. I think it adds a "feel" to the area.
Jags season ticket holder.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 10:48:14 AM »
FDOT money paid for this under I-4 but the maintenance costs are $3-$5k per month. Here's an article from 2007. Maybe  someone familiar with the Tampa Bay area can elaborate on what's taken place since then?

TAMPA - State transportation officials will soon put the final touches on a $1.3-million water fountain and pond that the city of Tampa agreed to take several years ago.

The problem: City officials are no longer sure they can afford its upkeep, and watering restrictions may prohibit its operation.

Plans made years ago for expanding Interstate 4 called for the state Department of Transportation to foot the $1.3.-million bill to install the fountain, then turn over ownership and maintenance to the city.

The cost for upkeep could range between $3,000 and $5,000 a month, or as much as $60,000 a year, according to recent Tampa Water Department estimates.

In these days of layoffs and budget cuts, that may be more than city officials want to spend.

Full article: http://www.sptimes.com/2007/08/05/Hillsborough/A_fountain_of_water__.shtml

cline

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 11:39:58 AM »
In defense of FDOT and the Jacksonville Expressway Authority, that Roosevelt connector wasn't engineered as some afterthought of a ramp.

I wasn't referring to the Roosevelt ramp- obviously it has been there for a long time.  I'm talking about the fact that when they completed the new interchange a few years ago, the design (which is the present design) basically created a scenario which funneled all the traffic entering I-10 EB from the Roosevelt Expy onto a one-lane ramp to get onto I-95.  In the AM peak hour, it creates a nightmare.  More thought/analysis should have gone into how to handle that traffic- a one-lane ramp was clearly not the solution.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 11:50:24 AM »
I don't really feel like digging back through the old posts when the first evolution of this interchange was proposed, debated and has now been implemented.
But....

I'm fairly certain that 'the plan' was to have dedicated lanes for vehicles travelling from W I-10 to be forced into the 2 far left lanes with plans for a soft separartion of lanes and plenty of signage.

The left lanes were supposed to be for thru-traffic.  The right lanes were supposed to be for traffic entering from US17.  Where/when they decided to change those plans is unknown to me, but I remember the plan as it was first proposed.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams