Author Topic: Revised Fuller Warren Bridge Plans To Be Released Today  (Read 28933 times)

cline

Re: Revised Fuller Warren Bridge Plans To Be Released Today
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 12:01:10 PM »
I'm fairly certain that 'the plan' was to have dedicated lanes for vehicles travelling from W I-10 to be forced into the 2 far left lanes with plans for a soft separartion of lanes and plenty of signage.

The left lanes were supposed to be for thru-traffic.  The right lanes were supposed to be for traffic entering from US17.  Where/when they decided to change those plans is unknown to me, but I remember the plan as it was first proposed.

In theory that is how it was supposed to work.  In practice though it has not been the case and created a serious weave issue.  I guess if they wanted to force that to happen you could extend the concrete barrier from where at starts now around Stockton further back towards Roosevelt but I'm not really sure how they could make that work with all the lane drops/adds that occur.  Might make it worse.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »
I'm fairly certain that 'the plan' was to have dedicated lanes for vehicles travelling from W I-10 to be forced into the 2 far left lanes with plans for a soft separartion of lanes and plenty of signage.

The left lanes were supposed to be for thru-traffic.  The right lanes were supposed to be for traffic entering from US17.  Where/when they decided to change those plans is unknown to me, but I remember the plan as it was first proposed.

In theory that is how it was supposed to work.  In practice though it has not been the case and created a serious weave issue.  I guess if they wanted to force that to happen you could extend the concrete barrier from where at starts now around Stockton further back towards Roosevelt but I'm not really sure how they could make that work with all the lane drops/adds that occur.  Might make it worse.

That was supposed to be accomplished with some sort of semi-passive barrier.  The fold up, plastic reflectors come to mind, but I'm not totally sure.  I know that it wasn't supposed to be a hard barrier.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 01:12:40 PM »
There's finally updates in the local media on this project now.

The FTU's is behind a paywall but it doesn't expose anything that wasn't added in this thread yesterday morning:

http://members.jacksonville.com/news/2014-08-06/story/bike-pedestrian-path-temporary-site-riverside-arts-market-are-part-new-plan

Here's the Jax Daily Record's: http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=543602

Still waiting for the JBJ's version of this. Below is a recap of CM Lumb's meeting:

For Immediate Release

For additional information contact Robin Lumb @ (904) 610-8811

Councilman Robin Lumb confirms revised FDOT plans for first ever bike-pedestrian path across the St. Johns Riveracross the St. Johns River linking the Riverside and Brooklyn neighborhoods with San Marco and the Southbank.

Lumb believes the bike-pedestrian path will stimulate efforts to revitalize downtownLumb expects the bike-pedestrian path to be the impetus for a substantial amount of private development in and around downtown over the next few years; development that will significantly expand the tax base and benefit all of Jacksonville.

The next public meeting planned by the FDOT to present project plans in detail will be on Thursday, August 28th at the Cummer Museum of Art. For additional details on this meeting please email Councilman Robin Lumb at: rlumb@coj.net
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:18:50 PM by thelakelander »

fieldafm

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »
More thought/analysis should have gone into how to handle that traffic- a one-lane ramp was clearly not the solution.

The cynic in me (and FDOT deserves its cynics) that has used this route for commuting daily since I was in high school, knew in his heart of hearts that FDOT designed all of this on purpose to make it more palpable to the car driving public to put up with yet another neighborhood disrupting/destroying expansion in the near-term future withouth throwing much of a fuss about it... like what happened in the last 8 months, for instance.

Didn't take a genious to see all that extra space and ROW and not think there was a sinister end goal in mind... and viola, it's happening now.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »
^Yeah. The thing, from the first FWB replacement, to the I-10/95 interchange redo, and the Overland Bridge thing, feels like one massive project that's been broken into decades long phases.

mtraininjax

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 10:06:03 PM »

Lumb has been drinking the Kool-aid from the 4th floor at 117 West Duval Street.  Using the Mayor's own lingo. Nice.

Ocklawaha

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 10:41:51 PM »
Maybe we could all pitch in and put up a nice message sign somewhere... 'Welcome to the downtown Jacksonville Interstate Money Pit... Just keep telling yourselves Mass Transit won't make money!'

As someone who has used the Roosevelt connector since the day it opened, (yeah, I know, how old is dirt?) I've always marveled at how they widened US-17 years ago from the little four lane bucking concrete drive, and added a overpass at Edgewood, but then missed McDuff! WTH? I actually like the method they used with Edgewood, sheer vertical walls, (also on Beach x 2) it just seems like they ran out of concrete...  ;)

Ocklawaha

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 10:53:06 PM »
Yes Lake, the pillars of light are at LAX. I'd personally love to see us take a page from Medellin's 'Parque de Luz.' Imagine this photo with the pillars lining the bridge at close intervals for artistic purposes. You can get a idea of the scale of these pillars from the tiny picnic tables below them. Tubes of light run up the columns and can change colors. STUNNING! It really does give one the effect of being in the great hall of the Emerald City... or maybe its just because I had to duck into a Holiday Inn in Alliance NE with severe hail storms all around, maybe I'm off to see the wizard!

PeeJayEss

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »
More thought/analysis should have gone into how to handle that traffic- a one-lane ramp was clearly not the solution.

The cynic in me (and FDOT deserves its cynics) that has used this route for commuting daily since I was in high school, knew in his heart of hearts that FDOT designed all of this on purpose to make it more palpable to the car driving public to put up with yet another neighborhood disrupting/destroying expansion in the near-term future withouth throwing much of a fuss about it... like what happened in the last 8 months, for instance.

Didn't take a genious to see all that extra space and ROW and not think there was a sinister end goal in mind... and viola, it's happening now.

Didn't look to me like they are expanding the footprint of the ROW in any areas where there is development (aside from the aerial easement at the bridge). Am I missing something?

I-10east

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2015, 10:18:11 AM »
Revised Fuller Warren construction plan with bike and pedestrian access praised.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2015-02-26/story/fuller-warren-construction-plan-praised

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 10:56:04 AM »
I attended this meeting last night. FDOT has added noise walls along I-10 and US 17 through Riverside. CM Boyer also discussed some changes to the San Marco side of the multi-use path. Instead of it being extended to Palm Avenue, it's going to end at the riverfront. From there, they've secured an easement from Nemours and FDOT will construct a new segment of the Southbank Riverwalk that will stretch from I-95 to Childrens Way/Nira Street. Eventually, it will be a part of a Southbank Riverwalk loop that will utilize Nira Street as the southern connection. They're also planning for a park to be constructed under I-95 between Baptist and Nemours.

Also, FDOT plans to start construction in a year. This thing has moved pretty quick since those articles I ran last December about this project not having a bike/ped component. Exciting stuff.

tufsu1

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2015, 11:01:14 AM »
CM Boyer also discussed some changes to the San Marco side of the multi-use path. Instead of it being extended to Palm Avenue, it's going to end at the riverfront. From there, they've secured an easement from Nemours and FDOT will construct a new segment of the Southbank Riverwalk that will stretch from I-95 to Childrens Way/Nira Street.

Just to be clear....I don't believe this has been entirely worked out yet....but it seems promising and would be generally revenue neutral to FDOT as compared to the proposal as currently shown.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:03:56 AM by tufsu1 »

InnerCityPressure

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »
I really hate the noise barrier walls and I would have to look at these daily.  They box you in.  I love riding around Riverside and seeing/hearing the highway.  It makes me feel like I'm in a city. 

If they have to construct the walls, (I know this is dreaming) can we at least advocate for something that enhances our beautiful, historic, artsy neighborhood?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »
^Originally, they were not going to have them. Your neighbors asked for them and FDOT eventually decided to address their concerns. Btw, I don't FDOT is going to pay for what's shown in the images. However, if money was found from another funding source, I'm sure they'd be open to additional aesthetic treatments, such as what's shown in the images.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 01:54:46 PM »
From there, they've secured an easement from Nemours and FDOT will construct a new segment of the Southbank Riverwalk that will stretch from I-95 to Childrens Way/Nira Street. Eventually, it will be a part of a Southbank Riverwalk loop that will utilize Nira Street as the southern connection. They're also planning for a park to be constructed under I-95 between Baptist and Nemours.

Well that is a whole bunch of awesome.