Author Topic: Revised Fuller Warren Bridge Plans To Be Released Today  (Read 28943 times)

southsider1015

Re: Revised Fuller Warren Bridge Plans To Be Released Today
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2016, 10:30:12 PM »
So, with the enormous scope creep that this project saw, the project is being delayed because of costs.  No shared use path on the Fuller Warren.

sorry, but no....the shared-use path will not be cut from the plan.

Source?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2016, 02:47:00 AM »
Or chop one of those several extra 12' wide lanes out proposed instead of taking out the one 12'shared use path....

Seriously though, I doubt FDOT would want to light its good will with the community on fire by getting rid of one of the project's top community supported assets.

Kay

« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2016, 06:35:45 AM »
So, with the enormous scope creep that this project saw, the project is being delayed because of costs.  No shared use path on the Fuller Warren.

Source?

My source is the FDOT, and I was told that nothing the community has asked for will be cut from the project. 

southsider1015

« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2016, 06:41:11 AM »
Scope cutting will need to occur.  I think that every part of the project could be on the chopping block.

And I didn't mean that it's never going to happen...just not for another 4-5 years or so.  2 years to readvertise, 2-3 years to construct.  Who knows what could happen between now and then.  I agree that it would be a pretty insane act to cut it from the project after everything that happened.

Who knows.  Maybe the project heads back on the shelf, and next time it rears its head, we'll be seeing Express Lanes across the Fuller Warren.

southsider1015

« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2016, 06:45:08 AM »

Source?

My source is the FDOT, and I was told that nothing the community has asked for will be cut from the project.

There's about 3 people at the top of the food chain that would be qualified to make statements like that at FDOT D2.  I doubt those 3 have made any decisions about how they are proceeding at this point.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2016, 07:25:06 AM »
Who would be the three? For all we know, one or more of them may have been in contact with some of the people posting in this thread.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2016, 08:41:07 AM »
Scope cutting will need to occur.  I think that every part of the project could be on the chopping block.

And I didn't mean that it's never going to happen...just not for another 4-5 years or so.  2 years to readvertise, 2-3 years to construct.  Who knows what could happen between now and then.  I agree that it would be a pretty insane act to cut it from the project after everything that happened.

Who knows.  Maybe the project heads back on the shelf, and next time it rears its head, we'll be seeing Express Lanes across the Fuller Warren.

So you're just speculating?

Tacachale

« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2016, 09:07:09 AM »
If this is true, they may as well just drop the project until they can add the pedestrian bridge back in. The communities this effects made it pretty clear they don't want the project or think it's necessary, and were willing to fight against it. The bike/ped element and the concession not to further encroach on the surrounding area are what allowed this to pass to begin with. And it's not like there's some outpouring of support from the rest of the city for yet more I-95 construction.

As Lake said, it would be politically a lot easier for them to just remove a lane than to cut the things the community requested.

acme54321

« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »
Or they could find more money and leave the project as-is?

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2016, 09:37:37 AM »
Of all of the projects that I just don't get, this is one (outside of the benefit for the shared use path). Especially going north, there's a ton of extra ROW. The part that is crazy for me is where it goes from four lanes, then back to three (Park St. Exit Only), then immediately back to four. There's more than enough room to shrink to adjust the Park Street Exit so all four lanes can exist.

That entire interchange uses so much ROW unnecessarily it's crazy. I bet if you told them to work with existing ROW and add no ramps, they'd get 80% of the improvement.

tufsu1

« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2016, 09:43:17 AM »

I'm willing to bet you're wrong again.  best guess is FDOT just allocates more money in next year's budget...and the project is delayed for no more than 1 year

tufsu1

« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2016, 09:45:03 AM »
That entire interchange uses so much ROW unnecessarily it's crazy. I bet if you told them to work with existing ROW and add no ramps, they'd get 80% of the improvement.

that's pretty much what will be happening.  The work done to modify the original plans ensured that virtually no additional ROW would be taken

Josh

« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »
Of all of the projects that I just don't get, this is one (outside of the benefit for the shared use path).

Just them acknowledging that they completely botched the interchange on the last construction project, and would love to have the opportunity to spend a few hundred million more to fix it for real this time.

Ocklawaha

« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2016, 10:28:56 AM »
Darn shame in our day late and dollar short city that a fully framed, prebuilt bridge structure couldn't be tucked in, under, over or around this for use by future fixed transit - be it BRT, LRT or Streetcar, perhaps sharing space near the pedestrian lanes.

Tacachale

« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2016, 10:32:35 AM »
^Yeah, it's also a shame that I didn't discover a chest of fabulous pirate treasure behind my tool shed, but what are you gonna do?