Author Topic: Khan's Jacksonville Shipyards Plans Revealed  (Read 146866 times)

Metro Jacksonville

Khan's Jacksonville Shipyards Plans Revealed
« on: February 17, 2015, 01:10:01 PM »
Khan's Jacksonville Shipyards Plans Revealed

Shahid Khan's plans for the Jacksonville Shipyards have been released. Here are several renderings of the ambitious proposal.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-feb-khans-jacksonville-shipyards-plans-revealed

BoldCityRealist

Re: Khan's Jacksonville Shipyards Plans Revealed
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 01:14:07 PM »
Wow. Even though I am in the middle of actively pursuing leaving this sometimes craphole town, this is giving me pause.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 01:18:48 PM »

Marle Brando

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 01:28:27 PM »
If you pay close attention to the opening of the video, or look at the slides you can see that Berkman 2 not only missing but actually replaced by an entirely new structure. I wonder if this just for concept purposes only or is it something actually planned by Khan.

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 01:44:14 PM »
If you pay close attention to the opening of the video, or look at the slides you can see that Berkman 2 not only missing but actually replaced by an entirely new structure. I wonder if this just for concept purposes only or is it something actually planned by Khan.

The marina is also gone.

This plan looks something serious.  That's a whole lot going on if it actually gets built.

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 01:45:25 PM »
Wow. Even though I am in the middle of actively pursuing leaving this sometimes craphole town, this is giving me pause.

Nah, with that attitude, you can leave, since the grass is always greener :P

A few things about the video:
1) Too many palm trees! This ain't south florida!
2) Awesome awesome awesome use of the river! Really capitalizing on what we have that makes us unique. Love the walkway!
3) Where's the skyway connectivity? Still "under study?"

What are the chances of even 10% of this happening? It seems like there's plans for the SJTC announced, and within 6 months the doors are open. Downtown projects get announced, and never heard from again.
Jags season ticket holder.

edjax

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 01:51:54 PM »
Sure you know the reason for the difference between town center and downtown. 

JUGrad

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 01:55:52 PM »

2) Awesome awesome awesome use of the river! Really capitalizing on what we have that makes us unique. Love the walkway!

What are the chances of even 10% of this happening? It seems like there's plans for the SJTC announced, and within 6 months the doors are open. Downtown projects get announced, and never heard from again.

Agreed; while this was one of the most impressive presentations for the use of this site, it's hard to get excited when for the past however many years, that's all we've had to go by.  Skyway connectivity and even a trolly/tram service within would be great as well...  Here's hoping that this one comes into fruition!!

edjax

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 01:58:43 PM »

Agreed; while this was one of the most impressive presentations for the use of this site, it's hard to get excited when for the past however many years, that's all we've had to go by.  Skyway connectivity and even a trolly/tram service within would be great as well...  Here's hoping that this one comes into fruition!!

At least this one is being proposed by a real person with real money with actual ties to the city.

peestandingup

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 02:07:10 PM »
Anyone have more info on the inclusion of Hogan's Creek Greenway?

jaxnyc79

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 02:16:29 PM »
Beautiful imagery, but nothing more than an exercise in graphic design until there's financial data.  Anything done on financial feasibility?  City commitment, ownership consortium commitment, bank debt commitments?  Hard to get very excited about this without a discussion on numbers and timelines, especially in light of past failures on this property.  Oh well, I suppose the media buzz about downtown's potential is probably worth something down the road.

edjax

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »
Beautiful imagery, but nothing more than an exercise in graphic design until there's financial data.  Anything done on financial feasibility?  City commitment, ownership consortium commitment, bank debt commitments?  Hard to get very excited about this without a discussion on numbers and timelines, especially in light of past failures on this property.  Oh well, I suppose the media buzz about downtown's potential is probably worth something down the road.

Supposedly more of the financials to be discussed when it is presented to DIA next week.

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 02:23:15 PM »
When the concept of the scoreboards and pool cabanas were first introduced by Khan, were they also attached with an initial price tag / implementation strategy? Either way, I would have a hard time believing Khan would waste his time and energy on a project of this magnitude if he didn't think it was completely possible and rational. This is the coolest idea I've ever seen for Jacksonville and we are so fortunate to have someone like Khan wanting to invest so much into our city.

tufsu1

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 02:28:41 PM »
It would be interesting to compare Khan's Shipyards proposal with that of Jeff Vinik's for the Channelside area in Tampa

jaxnyc79

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 02:33:51 PM »
Any city financing requirements for Healthy Town?  Has that project gotten to that point yet?  Presentation looks great.  Time will tell if there's enough of a residential market for that location without doing something with the Jailhouse complex.