Author Topic: Khan's Jacksonville Shipyards Plans Revealed  (Read 146957 times)

goldy21

Re: Khan's Jacksonville Shipyards Plans Revealed
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 04:43:40 PM »
Honestly, the biggest difference between Vinik and Shad is that Shad is a lot richer of a man. He is top 10 in richest owners in all of professional sports.

And getting richer every day.  His company generates an insane amount of cash flow for its ONLY SHAREHOLDER.

fsquid

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 04:49:55 PM »
damn, Simms blew that up.

goldy21

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 04:50:38 PM »
Simms = truth

Todd_Parker

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 04:58:30 PM »
Simms = truth

Well, the dream was fun while it lasted. Perhaps in 20-30 years something might actually become of that space.

JeffreyS

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 05:02:52 PM »
Meh Simms has spent years here saying the problem with Jax is no rich people with big ideas now he wants to poo poo that too.

Much respect for Simms but more for Khan. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:08:39 PM by JeffreyS »

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 05:08:23 PM »

Going to comment on a few things in line...

1) Docks for boats smaller than 300 ft long are not protected in any way from channel wakes, so the setup for the docks is a bit unrealistic
They could slow the area down like they do near the main street bridge.

2) Too many palm trees
Exactly what I said in my post:)

4) There is some sort of disconnect, a major one, between what's graphically shown in the renderings, and the actual size/layout of the piers in place (not even considering their structural integrity)
I'm not an architect so I can't comment on the structural integrity

5) Do I see rendered wood all over the place as a floor material for riverwalks/piers?  Have we not learned our lesson?
You do or don't, who can say? It might be composite, which would be perfectly fine.

6) WTF, a hot air balloon poorly rendered in Paint on one of the slides?  Really?
Why do you hate paint so much?:)

7) The architecture - again, I know just a placeholder, but this architecture doesn't even attempt to communicate at all to the history and aesthetics of Jacksonville.  It's very blase, yes, so that's a strike but forgiveable for the fact that I'm ASSUMING this is all a placeholder, but it's not even a blase that works for Jax.
Like you said, just a placeholder

8 ) The Naval ship is going to just hang off of one of the piers into the channel current?  Someone DID NOT think that through at all.
Works just fine for the USS Alabama in Mobile.

9) Is it just me or is one of the slides completely lifted from the design of the Miami Central Station with some additions of glass and a color scheme switcharoo?  Namely, the slide below the one where the Naval ship is precariously hanging on by a thread to the end of one of these piers.  Last slide on Pg 2

10) The 2nd slide on Pg 3 - wtf.  Seriously, wtf.  "Play" is the theme.  But play on what?  An area of wooden boards and a pointless unattractive riverwalk feature that inclines up in the middle like a bridge?  The whole thing seems pointless.  "Boardwalk Bridge" is its label on next slide.  And here we go with the wood again!

Again, might not be wood. But there's nothing wrong with expanding the river walk with something like this. Great photo op for downtown too.

11) Offices that don't appear to be structurally possible as rendered given what's there now, WITH A FOOTBALL FIELD ON TOP.
Really? We don't have the technology to put a field on top of buildings? We can put buildings on top of parking garages, I think a field would be just fine.

13) The little awkward pudgy things my eyes couldn't quite understand at first are the "office" buildings poking up outa the top where people are supposedly going to play football and not kick any balls off the roof of that 100 ft high building onto people below.
14) More football fields rendered.  I guess that's what we can expect from the owner of a football team.  But wow.  Did Khan take a break from owning a team and render all this himself?  It wouldn't surprise me.

Why so much hate for the football fields? Even if you're not a jaguar fan, they bring 50,000 downtown every weekend there's a game, you can't argue that. I like to think of these as Armada fields anyways :)

Jags season ticket holder.

KenFSU

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 05:13:04 PM »
Simms = truth

Well, the dream was fun while it lasted. Perhaps in 20-30 years something might actually become of that space.

Populous is one of the largest architectural firms in the world, and they are responsible for some of the most iconic stadium designs of the last 50 years. Yankee Stadium. The O2 Arena. London's Olympic stadium. AT&T Park. Camden Yards. Our own baseball grounds, and the recent Everbank Field renovations. Their work has been featured at 31 consecutive Super Bowls, and numerous Olympics games.

These guys aren't using Microsoft Paint.

edjax

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »
So Simms first name is Nancy.  I kinda thought so all along. M'lady has spoken so time to stop with the enthusiasm. 

simms3

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 05:15:28 PM »
Meh Simms has spent years here saying the problem with Jax is no rich people with big ideas now he wants to poo poo that too.

Much respect for Simms but more for Kahn.

Kahn is rich enough to hire a qualified team, renowned team even, to help him put together a proposal for the most important waterfront real estate in the entire city.  He has enough money for legitimate, even world class architects (who I would hope should he decide to be serious and hire some, that he also hire a team of local architects to partner up).  He has enough money for real estate consultants to guide him through the complexities of putting together and structuring a deal.  He has enough money to hire other consultants to help him make sure that everything is realistic.

In my opinion, this is a slap in the face.  He must think Jax citizens are dumb (and in fact, he may be right in that).  Half of you guys salivated at this and ate it up!  90% of what is shown IS NOT POSSIBLE, or REALISTIC.  He rendered a hot air balloon in paint and threw that in.  He has football fields on top of buildings!  Is this not a laughable joke of a proposal meant for some sort of PR, like he's "trying" to get stuff done in the city but it's just so tough.  Meanwhile, what he HAS done is bought a cash cow that partially rests on the back of Jax taxpayers and received more taxpayer money that could have gone to other things and used it for jumbotrons.

Forgive me, I guess I HAVE been around billionaires enough to know that if an opportunity presents itself, they will take advantage, and right now Khan might be taking advantage of the people of Jacksonville in the guise of "helping the city".  I mean, how much money has he spent on this non-serious proposal?  He's laughing all the way to the bank!  He KNOWS there is no money in doing something like this in Jacksonville - the market is not there and he can't just snap his finger and bring it.  He's playing politics!  He's "trying" to get something done, but "something" (a la the city or "market forces") will prevent him from actually building this.  But he "tried"!

Puh-lease!  I'm sure Khan's a great man - I know he is.  But he's an even better businessman!

simms3

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »
Simms = truth

Populous is one of the largest architectural firms in the world, and they are responsible for some of the most iconic stadium designs of the last 50 years. Yankee Stadium. The O2 Arena. London's Olympic stadium. AT&T Park. Camden Yards. Our own baseball grounds, and the recent Everbank Field renovations. Their work has been featured at 31 consecutive Super Bowls, and numerous Olympics games.

These guys aren't using Microsoft Paint.

Wow - well Khan told Populous pencils down then - or he got some junior associate to draft this in a day.  I've seen Populous renderings, and I see renderings every day of my life.  These are up there with the worst I've seen.

dp8541

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 05:19:49 PM »
I was under the impression the rendering would include an indoor practice facility for team.  Could that be what the design plan would have taking up the majority of the space in the large buildings with the football field on top?

pierre

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 05:20:45 PM »
I was under the impression the rendering would include an indoor practice facility for team.  Could that be what the design plan would have taking up the majority of the space in the large buildings with the football field on top?

You would be correct

Keith-N-Jax

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 05:22:14 PM »
I like it and hope it gets done. That's all you can do for now. The negative Nacy's can take their sister Debbie Downer out to lunch and dont come back.

pierre

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 05:25:43 PM »
I like it and hope it gets done. That's all you can do for now. The negative Nacy's can take their sister Debbie Downer out to lunch and dont come back.

But have you seen the hot air balloon????

simms3

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2015, 05:25:47 PM »

Going to comment on a few things in line...

1) Docks for boats smaller than 300 ft long are not protected in any way from channel wakes, so the setup for the docks is a bit unrealistic
They could slow the area down like they do near the main street bridge.

2) Too many palm trees
Exactly what I said in my post:)

4) There is some sort of disconnect, a major one, between what's graphically shown in the renderings, and the actual size/layout of the piers in place (not even considering their structural integrity)
I'm not an architect so I can't comment on the structural integrity

5) Do I see rendered wood all over the place as a floor material for riverwalks/piers?  Have we not learned our lesson?
You do or don't, who can say? It might be composite, which would be perfectly fine.

6) WTF, a hot air balloon poorly rendered in Paint on one of the slides?  Really?
Why do you hate paint so much?:)

7) The architecture - again, I know just a placeholder, but this architecture doesn't even attempt to communicate at all to the history and aesthetics of Jacksonville.  It's very blase, yes, so that's a strike but forgiveable for the fact that I'm ASSUMING this is all a placeholder, but it's not even a blase that works for Jax.
Like you said, just a placeholder

8 ) The Naval ship is going to just hang off of one of the piers into the channel current?  Someone DID NOT think that through at all.
Works just fine for the USS Alabama in Mobile.

9) Is it just me or is one of the slides completely lifted from the design of the Miami Central Station with some additions of glass and a color scheme switcharoo?  Namely, the slide below the one where the Naval ship is precariously hanging on by a thread to the end of one of these piers.  Last slide on Pg 2

10) The 2nd slide on Pg 3 - wtf.  Seriously, wtf.  "Play" is the theme.  But play on what?  An area of wooden boards and a pointless unattractive riverwalk feature that inclines up in the middle like a bridge?  The whole thing seems pointless.  "Boardwalk Bridge" is its label on next slide.  And here we go with the wood again!

Again, might not be wood. But there's nothing wrong with expanding the river walk with something like this. Great photo op for downtown too.

11) Offices that don't appear to be structurally possible as rendered given what's there now, WITH A FOOTBALL FIELD ON TOP.
Really? We don't have the technology to put a field on top of buildings? We can put buildings on top of parking garages, I think a field would be just fine.

13) The little awkward pudgy things my eyes couldn't quite understand at first are the "office" buildings poking up outa the top where people are supposedly going to play football and not kick any balls off the roof of that 100 ft high building onto people below.
14) More football fields rendered.  I guess that's what we can expect from the owner of a football team.  But wow.  Did Khan take a break from owning a team and render all this himself?  It wouldn't surprise me.

Why so much hate for the football fields? Even if you're not a jaguar fan, they bring 50,000 downtown every weekend there's a game, you can't argue that. I like to think of these as Armada fields anyways :)

What's wrong with football fields in a mixed-use office/retail/hotel development?  What's wrong with football fields on the ROOF of a building 100 ft up over an area with pedestrians walking around who could get hit by a ball should it fly off?  What are they going to put nets all around the tops of these buildings?  You can't be serious with these questions.  And then putting office space on top of that weird MASSIVE "mixed-use"/retail building so their view is of a football field, on top of a building?  Better spare no expense on the glass, either.

Let me provide you guys an example of a similar "massive" mixed-use, long-term proposal for my city.  Basically conceptual at this point, so really the Shipyards and my example are in similar stage.  This is AT MINIMUM what I would like to see (scroll down for an imbedded presentation):

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2014/11/stunning-new-5m-project-renderings-overview-context.html