Author Topic: What happened to "TheBarge"?  (Read 5693 times)

JaxJersey-licious

Re: What happened to "TheBarge"?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 11:21:38 AM »
You realize that there is one true loser in this whole barge debacle (and I'm not talking impatient hog and dairy farmers)...

It seems only fitting that the first musical act at this new venue should be El DeBarge and the Family DeBarge. Assuming he's kicked his cocaine addiction, nothing would be sweeter than to hear "Who's Johnny" softly cascading across the St. Johns River. Make it a yearly event and "DeBarge on the Barge" could become the next Lollapalooza or Bonnaroo!

The poor soul has been anxiously waiting for this perfect moment to resurrect his career, now he's just sadly singing the chorus of "Who's Holding Donna Now?" to himself.

Well who's holding El DeBarge now? Who?!

xplanner

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 01:43:26 PM »
Perhaps ten years ago to the day, I was intercepted by a Live Action News Team reporter and cameraman as I walked out of City Hall. On the front step of local government I had a sheet of paper shoved under my nose and was asked, " There are 31 major development projects or buildings listed here, currently being proposed for Downtown. All tolled, they come to over 50 million square feet of commercial and office. How many of them are real?" I replied, "look out over the city and tell me how many construction cranes you see". The answer was, "none". I replied, "that's how many real deals we have right now."

Quit counting deals, people. Count construction cranes.

Intheblinkofaneye

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 06:19:22 PM »
Al & Company??? Impact Partners....nuff said

whyisjohngalt

• EPOCH
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 12:51:24 AM »
Didn't they have a sweet press conference about a bacon party or something?  Did I miss it?

marty904

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 07:42:46 AM »
Didn't they have a sweet press conference about a bacon party or something?  Did I miss it?
Well, they somehow infiltrated the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Southbank Riverwalk, as if it was somehow a part of that... And then, in true Jacksonville fashion, they made big announcements of grandeur and showed lovely architectural renderings before they really had their shit together.  Oh and the event... "Bacon & Bourbon" - that never came to life either.  I think that was a ploy to jump on the tail end of the "everything bacon" wagon, in an effort to lend more interest in "The BARge"

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 05:54:24 PM »
I spoke with Al about this the other day and he said that the scope has increased from what he initially thought the project needed.  They initially thought it could be a pop up event space, but they have been contacted by a number of entities for private events.  They are going to have to get more significant permitting for the project to go forward.  They obviously should have provided an update after they decided to change course, but it sounds like the thing isn't dead for now.

I'll eat a pound of butter if one half of what that guy says comes true.

better start shopping now...because Al has a track record of making stuff happen!

I'm just going to take the opportunity to laugh hysterically about this again and feel vindicated that what I said was ultimately borne out.