Author Topic: Roost Cafe and Coffee shop trying to open on Oak St?  (Read 28331 times)

JHAT76

Roost Cafe and Coffee shop trying to open on Oak St?
« on: October 27, 2015, 09:04:57 AM »
While at the Snap Fitness on Oak (in the old Deluxe Cleaners building) I saw a petition on the front desk.  Was wondering if anyone on here had heard of this attempt to open a cafe/coffee shop in a portion of the old Deluxe Cleaners building.  Would be nice to see that half of the old building start getting some development.

Since I can never seem to get a picture on here, the petition said: The Roost, a gourmet cafe and coffee shop trying to go into the old building at 2220 oak St.  According to petition RAP is trying to stop this from happening going as far to say that they "would rather have it abandoned then have our concept there." 

They then explain the concept and say please join them November 12th at 6PM at 2623 Herschel St to vocalize support or to contact Jim Love.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: Roost Cafe and Coffee shop trying to open on Oak St?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
Send me the picture and I'll post it. My email: edavis@metrojacksonville.com

johnnyliar

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »
A little cafe there would be awesome. There's a whole empty lot next door that could be used for parking, so I don't see that as an issue.
I wonder what RAP's problem is.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:26:19 AM »
From JHAT76:

JHAT76

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 09:46:31 AM »
jhat is there a contact info for the Roost group?

I believe everything below the picture was simply spaces to sign the petition and add a comment in support.  Although, I read it over quickly and could have missed it.

JHAT76

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 09:56:11 AM »
Gee it's hard to imagine why the business community thinks RAP is anti business

Maybe I misunderstand the purpose of RAP or at least what it has evolved into.  I would think it could be an organization that is available for support.  To help guide businesses and homeowner in ensuring they stay with the historic theme when opening / restoring.  At what point did they become a Quasi agency with authority over planning and development?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 10:38:46 AM »
What's the other side of the story? What is RAP's reason for opposing this particular project?

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »
That's a whopping several hundred yards from the entrance to St Vincent's, if the neighbors aren't bothered by the ambulance noise then I can't imagine a cafe is going to cause some huge issue.

JHAT76

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 11:13:44 AM »
I just talked to Carman Godwin, and apparently the group wants to open a restaurant at the space, with 150 seats and be open at night with a liquor license.

The group has the right to do this in the zoning by exception, but the fear is that there would be late night noise at a building almost completely surrounded by residential apartments.

I can kind of see the point.  The building was originally built as a dry cleaners and up until the opening of SNAP fitness has never been open at night in its history.

But that said, their original concept was for a breakfast and lunch diner, which the surrounding neighbors supported.

I can't verify that these are the unvarnished facts, considering the tall tales that were going around over Kickbacks and Mellow Mushroom, but that is the other side.

The location, I think, gives some weight to arguments against a late night live music venue.  Perhaps the owners of the Roost could weigh in?

My question would be what exactly is RAP's involvement and why?  Looking at the statement above in bold, if we are going to nit pick every development idea why have zoning or exceptions at all.  If the plan meets the zoning requirements then let them open.

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 11:30:55 AM »
Nope, RAP is wrong, as usual, on this issue. I have to agree with Chris, if you can tolerate a hospital you can tolerate a cafe.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:40:02 AM by TheCat »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 11:45:44 AM »
I just talked to Carman Godwin, and apparently the group wants to open a restaurant at the space, with 150 seats and be open at night with a liquor license.

The group has the right to do this in the zoning by exception, but the fear is that there would be late night noise at a building almost completely surrounded by residential apartments.

I can kind of see the point.  The building was originally built as a dry cleaners and up until the opening of SNAP fitness has never been open at night in its history.

But that said, their original concept was for a breakfast and lunch diner, which the surrounding neighbors supported.

I can't verify that these are the unvarnished facts, considering the tall tales that were going around over Kickbacks and Mellow Mushroom, but that is the other side.

The location, I think, gives some weight to arguments against a late night live music venue.  Perhaps the owners of the Roost could weigh in?

My question would be what exactly is RAP's involvement and why?  Looking at the statement above in bold, if we are going to nit pick every development idea why have zoning or exceptions at all.  If the plan meets the zoning requirements then let them open.

If it's a zoning "by exception" situation, then it doesn't meet the current zoning requirements. They still need to get an exception. If an exception is needed, the surrounding community's support is critical in getting the exception granted. This is where RAP and other impacted community stakeholder's involvement would come into play.

JHAT76

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »

If it's a zoning "by exception" situation, then it doesn't meet the current zoning requirements. They still need to get an exception. If an exception is needed, the surrounding community's support is critical in getting the exception granted. This is where RAP and other impacted community stakeholder's involvement would come into play.

Ahh, thank you for the clarification.

Josh

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 12:14:32 PM »
That's a whopping several hundred yards from the entrance to St Vincent's, if the neighbors aren't bothered by the ambulance noise then I can't imagine a cafe is going to cause some huge issue.

Not sure what ambulance noise due to proximity to the hospital has to do with anything since it's definitely a non-issue in that area.

That being said, I can see why neighbors would be upset about the current concept, especially if it different than what was originally planned.

cline

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 01:47:37 PM »
Who specifically from RAP is that quote in the petition attributed to? Is that RAP's organizational stance or is that just a quote from some random person who is a member?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 03:40:49 PM »
Why 150?

Why not 149 or 62 or 77?

;)

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams