Author Topic: Roost Cafe and Coffee shop trying to open on Oak St?  (Read 28362 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Roost Cafe and Coffee shop trying to open on Oak St?
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2016, 02:38:18 AM »
It seems to be the nature of neighborhood business in Riverside at the moment. Every issue becomes a pitched battle.

Every issue is not a battle, its about quality of life. How would you like a neighbor who lied to you and said, Oh yeah, I was going to have room for 60 people have a nice little cafe for people to enjoy, get everyone excited about the project, cause there is really nothing for a couple blocks, only to be LIED TO and you have to find out from public filings that the douchebag developer wants to make it 150 seats and turn your quiet area of Riverside into an outdoor music park on weekends, clogging the streets, leaving trash, and turning your neighborhood, your investment into a trashy version of what it formerly was?

I am sympathetic to the plight of the locals. If I still lived there (used to live on Oak by Stockton), I would be opposed. But I think the statement above is over the top and is a great example of how people on both sides of this issue can't seem to discuss it rationally.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »
Murray will eventually find that it does not have the infrastructure to handle increased traffic and cars, it already has issues around the 1100 block as cars block the intersection of Mayflower and Edgewood. Edgewood is also a race track between 10 and 17 at times of the day, that will be addressed, you think you want the success now, beware, its a double-edged sword. Ask the people around King Street if they enjoy the new beer district and the new attention to the area....

Regardless of how the people in the "beer district" feel about it, their homes have become more desirable if not more valuable because of the increased commercial activity. 

Also, it sounds like Edgewood will never have the perfect amount of traffic that you're looking for, so just give up.  You're only going to make yourself crazy(er).

Tacachale

« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2016, 10:31:29 AM »
It seems to be the nature of neighborhood business in Riverside at the moment. Every issue becomes a pitched battle.

Spoken like a person who does not live in the neighborhood!

Every issue is not a battle, its about quality of life. How would you like a neighbor who lied to you and said, Oh yeah, I was going to have room for 60 people have a nice little cafe for people to enjoy, get everyone excited about the project, cause there is really nothing for a couple blocks, only to be LIED TO and you have to find out from public filings that the douchebag developer wants to make it 150 seats and turn your quiet area of Riverside into an outdoor music park on weekends, clogging the streets, leaving trash, and turning your neighborhood, your investment into a trashy version of what it formerly was?

Are there not enough empty spots in Springfield? Hey, why not get some of the Springfield Zealots after this project, I am sure that Main Street is in need of a replacement after 9th and Main had its hey-day, the Pearl left and the area struggles to grow a commercial base. Is a 150 seat boom box the only thing that Stein can find for that space?

Murray will eventually find that it does not have the infrastructure to handle increased traffic and cars, it already has issues around the 1100 block as cars block the intersection of Mayflower and Edgewood. Edgewood is also a race track between 10 and 17 at times of the day, that will be addressed, you think you want the success now, beware, its a double-edged sword. Ask the people around King Street if they enjoy the new beer district and the new attention to the area....

I live in San Marco. And I didn't say anything about this development besides the battleground mentality surrounding it. Thanks for making my point for me.

mtraininjax

« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2016, 05:10:26 AM »
You're only going to make yourself crazy(er).

pot calling the kettle black! lol

But I think the statement above is over the top and is a great example of how people on both sides of this issue can't seem to discuss it rationally.

neighbors are not using guns or hangings to discuss the issue, the discussions are quite rational.not sure why you would say that they are not.

I live in San Marco.

home of the 10 million dollar tear-down, that's preservation for you!?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:13:55 AM by mtraininjax »

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2016, 06:28:09 AM »

But I think the statement above is over the top and is a great example of how people on both sides of this issue can't seem to discuss it rationally.

neighbors are not using guns or hangings to discuss the issue, the discussions are quite rational.not sure why you would say that they are not.

So, that's your standard for determining whether or not something is rational? Shootings and hangings? I'll reset my expectations accordingly when responding to your comments in the future.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2016, 05:54:21 PM »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2016, 08:42:18 PM »
Riverside residents protest Roost restaurant plans, citing parking problems

Full article: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2016-05-02/story/riverside-residents-protest-roost-restaurant-plans-citing-parking

Captain Zissou

« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2016, 09:10:33 AM »
It looks like that site and the back lot can be reworked to include far more than the 41 parking spots the article mentions.  Snap fitness and the laundromat don't need more than 8 spaces at any given time.  I don't think a restaurant is the highest and best use for that site, but reduce the seat count to 100 and let's get this moving.

Dog Walker

« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2016, 03:35:10 PM »
There were WAY more than a dozen people at the protest, but the reporter chose only to count the ones directly in front of Deluxe and Snap.  An honest editing error or an effort to diminish the number of people opposed to the project?
When all else fails hug the dog.

Kay

« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2016, 10:15:16 PM »
It looks like that site and the back lot can be reworked to include far more than the 41 parking spots the article mentions.  Snap fitness and the laundromat don't need more than 8 spaces at any given time.  I don't think a restaurant is the highest and best use for that site, but reduce the seat count to 100 and let's get this moving.

If they provide the required 10-foot buffer next to residential uses and landscape the parking lot to code, they can only get 34 or 35 spaces in the lot.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2016, 09:00:04 AM »
Riverside's The Roost developer talks about backlash, restaurant plans

The developer of the planned Riverside restaurant that has attracted some heat from residents says he's optimistic about the upcoming zoning showdown.

Ted Stein, one half of the development team for in-the-works restaurant The Roost, said the group organizing the protests, P.R.O.U.D., does not represent the general sentiment.

"We feel the facts are on our side and the crowd does not represent the whole neighborhood," Stein said. "That will be evident."
Stein and business partner JC Demetree have faced pushback since proposing the restaurant in a 5,000 square foot space in the former De Luxe Launderette and Deluxe Laundry and Dry Cleaners. Because the Oak Street shopping plaza, anchored by Snap Fitness, is zoned for commercial, residential and office, the space is going through a planned unit development.

Stein said putting the building into reuse is important, rather than letting the building sit vacant.
"As a young entrepreneur that's getting to know the next generation of Riverside through this process, we need to keep progressing, to fill in abandoned buildings," Stein said.

Full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/blog/morning-edition/2016/05/riversides-the-roost-developer-talks-about.html

JaxAvondale

« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »
Did they finalize a date & time to reconvene the meeting?

Sentient

« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2016, 12:33:43 PM »

The whole issue, in all these disputes revolves around the sale of the Duval Daemon Alcohol...  They can't get a SRX license at that spot for 100 seats, need 150.  They can't make money without alcohol sales...

Simple solution would be to eliminate the 150 seat requirement everywhere.. not just specially RAP chosen zones.

dp8541

« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2016, 03:36:41 PM »
Just for my personal knowledge, are there two types of liquor licenses available?  I always hear about the issue with restaurants needing 150 seats to qualify to purchase the license.  Is there a separate type of license that bar only establishments can obtain (like Rogue or Loft on King St, or Sidecar in San marco for example).

Sentient

« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2016, 04:27:23 PM »
Just for my personal knowledge, are there two types of liquor licenses available?  I always hear about the issue with restaurants needing 150 seats to qualify to purchase the license.  Is there a separate type of license that bar only establishments can obtain (like Rogue or Loft on King St, or Sidecar in San marco for example).

Yes a COP 4 license, which is what true bars and liquor stores have.  Which are limited artificially by population, hence there is a monopoly in effect, they trade hands for in excess of $300k when they are available.  similar to taxi medallions in rationing.  SRX is an accommodation to restaurants, but you have square footage (2,500) and minimum seating requirements (150) and must have total revenues equal 51% food sales and 49% beverage sales.  The J Bill introduced after the secret Biscotti's licensing attempt reduces these to 100 seats but only in a few designated areas in 5 points, Avondale etc.  Not this strip.