Author Topic: Roost Cafe and Coffee shop trying to open on Oak St?  (Read 28142 times)

mtraininjax

Re: Roost Cafe and Coffee shop trying to open on Oak St?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »
it's the entire community

Nope, its really only those neighbors that are around this particular shop. People over by Orsay could care less about this issue. You cannot go from 60 spaces to 150 and think no one is going to care. Shame on the owners for trying to pull a fast one over on the residents who live in the area, they are the ones who get the added noise, trash and human fertilizer at 1 AM, so why not allow them to be a part. All RAP does is help facilitate it.

RAP is not there to shut down the application, they are the voice for the residents who live there. They do a lot for the community. Many good people serve on the boards who you may know, including the Owners of Black Sheep, who were there last night to discuss the JBill in detail. They have been audited, Allan said, twice now by the state in 2 years and when you try and operate outside of your zoning license, the state shuts them down. But of course, everyone will blame RAP when business people make stupid decisions.

Sentient

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2015, 11:09:19 AM »
it's the entire community

Nope, its really only those neighbors that are around this particular shop. People over by Orsay could care less about this issue. You cannot go from 60 spaces to 150 and think no one is going to care. Shame on the owners for trying to pull a fast one over on the residents who live in the area, they are the ones who get the added noise, trash and human fertilizer at 1 AM, so why not allow them to be a part. All RAP does is help facilitate it.

RAP is not there to shut down the application, they are the voice for the residents who live there. They do a lot for the community. Many good people serve on the boards who you may know, including the Owners of Black Sheep, who were there last night to discuss the JBill in detail. They have been audited, Allan said, twice now by the state in 2 years and when you try and operate outside of your zoning license, the state shuts them down. But of course, everyone will blame RAP when business people make stupid decisions.

"All RAP does is help facilitate it."  need to edit that to "all RAP does is help facilitate it when they want to".  That reads better.  The problem is not that zoning requires exceptions and compliance or may change things, the persistent problem is that RAP is the self anointed arbiter of these things.  They are a private lobbying group and do not speak for the neighborhood.

Lucasjj

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2015, 05:43:25 PM »
Someone I know received this today. Someone was delivering them door to door in the area.

mtraininjax

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 11:42:32 AM »
They are a private lobbying group and do not speak for the neighborhood.

You are right, they do not speak for the neighborhood, but they DO get the neighborhood together and organized to review plans by businesses that are not honest and forthright. If Roost Cafe had just been honest, instead of showing one version, then trying to slide in a larger version, none of this would be necessary. In the end, there was not one issue from the neighborhood when it was a smaller venue, not one. Only when the venue decided it wanted 150 seats worth of patrons did RAP and the neighborhood come together and discuss this.

Compromise will happen, RAP helps facilitate the compromise. They never are the deciding factor.

If the ROOST people were smart, they'd have gotten ahead of this and held their own meetings and spin this more positively for themselves, but you let the neighborhood decide it, well, you are going to be SPIF out of Luck.

Sentient

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »
"potential Impacts" is framed as if there will be no positive potential impacts...

No one got a mailer from RAP when Biscotti's and Casbah were looking to get their initial custom JBill approved, even though RAP knew most of the WLA crowd would be equally against expanded liquor operations in the Shoppes and RAP itself was against any private JBill benefiting just those businesses in concept.

Explanation for this?  Is this honest dealing?

JaxAvondale

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2015, 09:17:50 AM »
Does anybody have an update from the meeting?

jaxjags

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2015, 09:36:24 AM »
I do not live in  the RAP area or no any RAP board members. To me having other restaurant owners on the Board seems like a huge conflict of interest. At the very least it brings up the kinds of concerns you see expressed by other posters.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2015, 04:01:06 PM »
I do not live in  the RAP area or no any RAP board members. To me having other restaurant owners on the Board seems like a huge conflict of interest. At the very least it brings up the kinds of concerns you see expressed by other posters.

Disagree.

Does that mean that a board member who works for Vystar would have a CoI if Chase wanted to open up a branch in the hood?

If George Jefferson were on the board, would he do all in his power to prevent Deluxe from re-opening?  ;)

If you're confident in your product, you welcome competition.  I'm pretty sure the RAP board member who's part of the Black Sheep Group has zero issues with another restaurant opening in the area.  And in fact would welcome it with open arms being that when they drafted a J-Bill for BS in 5 points the language was to include ALL restaurants in the area that met certain requirements.  (unlike other owners who tried and failed to issue more restricted legislation)
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

mtraininjax

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2015, 07:43:06 AM »
Disagree.

Does that mean that a board member who works for Vystar would have a CoI if Chase wanted to open up a branch in the hood?

If George Jefferson were on the board, would he do all in his power to prevent Deluxe from re-opening?  ;)

If you're confident in your product, you welcome competition.  I'm pretty sure the RAP board member who's part of the Black Sheep Group has zero issues with another restaurant opening in the area.  And in fact would welcome it with open arms being that when they drafted a J-Bill for BS in 5 points the language was to include ALL restaurants in the area that met certain requirements.  (unlike other owners who tried and failed to issue more restricted legislation)

Who cares about Vystar? Are you hijacking the thread to discuss Vystar or Chase?

George Jefferson? As in the fictional television character? Get a grip.

Dude - Are you watching the news lately? Black Sheep is opening up downtown, they could care less about Roost or anyone else around them. The J-Bill was presented by the Black Sheep Owner at the lastest RAP meeting, it was received with open arms by all in attendance.

Get some new material, this rant is done.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2015, 10:58:45 AM »
Get some new material, this rant is done.

Get some new glasses and reread the post.  You missed the point completely.  Dude.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

KPettway

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
Hi all. I live directly across the street from the proposed site of the Roost, and I'd be happy to address your questions.

RAP is conducting their own efforts, alongside but not part of the neighborhood's. Our goals in this instance happen to be the same; to prevent non-zoned development within our residential neighborhood. There are 14 family dwellings directly adjacent to the site, (it is a large property and there are several multi-family dwellings) several with school-age children. A large, noisy, late-night restaurant such as the one proposed would place huge stresses and undue burdens on the surrounding homes. We would be amenable to any type of development that met our zoning, (CRO with a historic-character overlay) but development of this type actually makes us much more vulnerable to further commercial encroachment. We are a primary corridor from King Street to Margaret Street, both of which have grown quite a bit over the last decade.

As someone who has canvassed and discussed concerns with everyone affected, I have found only a single person in favor. She owns a shop nearby and does not actually live in the area. We do appreciate your conversation.   :)

JaxAvondale

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2015, 10:00:56 PM »
I hope that everybody can come to some mutual agreement. That stretch of Oak could use some sprucing up and development.

Sentient

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2015, 09:12:16 AM »
Hi all. I live directly across the street from the proposed site of the Roost, and I'd be happy to address your questions.

RAP is conducting their own efforts, alongside but not part of the neighborhood's. Our goals in this instance happen to be the same; to prevent non-zoned development within our residential neighborhood. There are 14 family dwellings directly adjacent to the site, (it is a large property and there are several multi-family dwellings) several with school-age children. A large, noisy, late-night restaurant such as the one proposed would place huge stresses and undue burdens on the surrounding homes. We would be amenable to any type of development that met our zoning, (CRO with a historic-character overlay) but development of this type actually makes us much more vulnerable to further commercial encroachment. We are a primary corridor from King Street to Margaret Street, both of which have grown quite a bit over the last decade.

As someone who has canvassed and discussed concerns with everyone affected, I have found only a single person in favor. She owns a shop nearby and does not actually live in the area. We do appreciate your conversation.   :)

Be thankful it's not one of those soooper dangerous pizza places coming in, what with the children and all...

johnnyliar

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2015, 01:53:24 PM »

I have friends who live directly across from the proposed building, and another who lives adjacent to where The Roost will be doing business. So, add that to your list of people who are in favor.

KPettway

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »
I hope that everybody can come to some mutual agreement. That stretch of Oak could use some sprucing up and development.

I hope so too.