Poll

Should there be an ADA Handicapped watercraft hand launch parking spot at the DCPS building next to the JEA property?

Yes
No

Author Topic: ADA Handicapped Community Issue  (Read 6767 times)

Noone

ADA Handicapped Community Issue
« on: November 10, 2015, 05:56:25 PM »
I'd say yes.

The_Choose_1

Re: ADA Handicapped Community Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 09:15:18 PM »
I once worked for a jerk that couldn't stand handicapped people in his store. He would say go help them so they can leave faster. Lets not forget to be handicapped in America still pretty much Sucks!

acme54321

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 09:45:02 PM »
There isn't even a regualr kayak launch on the river walk except for the boat ramp.  Why not put the handicapped launch there.  What does a handicapped kayak launch even require?  What qualifies the DCSB building is an appropriate spot for such a launch?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 04:59:06 AM »
There isn't even a regualr kayak launch on the river walk except for the boat ramp.  Why not put the handicapped launch there.  What does a handicapped kayak launch even require?  What qualifies the DCSB building is an appropriate spot for such a launch?

I don't know enough about this issue to vote. I think your comments mirror some of the things I was thinking.

As a general rule, I would argue in favour of handicapped-accessable facilities alongside the standard facilities if and where possible. If this question is more along the lines of, "Should there be a kayak launch that is also ADA compliant at the DCSB building" then I'd say I need more info on whether it is feasible, what the cost would be, what the positives and negatives are and what objections (if any) exist.

Noone

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 05:21:37 AM »
I once worked for a jerk that couldn't stand handicapped people in his store. He would say go help them so they can leave faster. Lets not forget to be handicapped in America still pretty much Sucks!

You nail it.
Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting 11/12/15 at 9:30 am in council chambers on the agenda CEO of the DIA Aundra Wallace and Guy Parola.
We want a BRAND?
Visit Jacksonville- Where we tell the wheelchair gang to keep wheelin.

tufsu1

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 11:01:45 AM »
^ The BRAND is expected out before the end of the year.

Noone

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 07:01:59 AM »
Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting 2 1/2 hours out. 9:30 am in council chambers. JEA-Building Community?

Noone

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 02:36:19 AM »
Where is the Riverkeeper on this?

Agenda item IV of the 11/12/15 Jacksonville Waterways Commission agenda reads:
    Presentation on specific Notice of Proposed Change to the Consolidated Downtown Development of Regional Impact
    Speaker-Aundra Wallace, Downtown DEVELOPMENT Authority
    Speaker- Guy Parola, Downtown DEVELOPMENT Manager

Another agenda item VIII under New Business reads:
    Waterways Access, Beth Meyer (Chief of DISABLED Services)

Some thoughts and concerns. Also, Please continue to vote.
Nobody from JEA was there that I am aware of to speak as the present owners of the property.
Aundra Wallace was a No Show. Is it the DIA or DDA? When did the Authority Change or just a typo?
The legislation is 2015-777 and was not assigned to Waterways  but was there to side on caution because of the Waterways component of the project. And because of the legislative calendar to move this through.
Waterways approved the project with a Resolution of support.

I spoke with Mike Balanky prior to his presentation and he is supportive of an ADA handicapped watercraft hand launch spot next to his project.  I have met with JEA and the opportunity for an ADA handicapped watercraft hand launch parking spot lies solely with those that are making the decisions for the school board property. I wanted to reach out to Mike and Elements because they would be neighbors to this ADA Handicapped Public hand launch parking spot. He supports it. Mike, correct me if I'm wrong with that. Please.

Now agenda item VIII under New Business
    WATERWAYS ACCESS, Beth Meyer(Chief of Disabled Services)

Talk about timing!

Beth, talked about "Project Civic Access" This is a Program of the U.S. Department of Justice

There are a number of bullet points but here is the last one.
The DOJ Settlement Agreement is managed in the Disabled Services Division and includes ALL COJ properties and programs.

Noone

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 04:26:21 AM »
Where is the Riverkeeper on this?
Scott Wilson where are you? Somebody text him.
Keep voting.

What are we trying to transform again? Wheelchair gang. Keep wheelin.
The big NEWS of the 11/12/15 Jacksonville Waterways Commission was the "WATERWAYS COMMISSION PRESENTATION on ACCESS by Beth Meyer, P.A. Chief Disabled Services Division ADA Coordinator.
FEDERAL Requirements- Program Accessibility
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:56:46 AM by Noone »

Noone

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 01:23:03 AM »
Why hasn't 2015-777 been sent to Finance? Scott Wilson where are you?

Overstreet

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 12:39:34 PM »
I know of only one adaptive use kayak program in Jacksonville. I suspect you should talk to Ralph to get his perspective.

Phoenix Paddle Sports, www.phoenixpaddlesports.com

Overstreet

Noone

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 12:16:12 AM »
Today 11/19/15 is Thur. night football. Remember the Titans.
Yesterday was an ADA (Another Downtown Adventure). Launched at RCB. Did a KJB Bluebag cleanup on the JEA property. Was in the River as 4 helicopters flew by as a 20 year ceremony was taking place for the Veterans Memorial Wall.
On 11-20/15 at 10 am 4th floor city hall is a FIND subcommittee meeting of the Jacksonville Waterways Commission. Open to the Public.
Visit Jacksonville, where we tell the wheelchair gang to keep wheelin.

Noone

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 08:36:03 AM »
The Tom Ingram dream of a FIND project at the DCPS building next to the JEA property was added to the Potential 2016 Alternative FIND Projects at the 11/20/15 FIND subcommittee meeting of the Jacksonville Waterways Commission. VERY POSITIVE!

Noone

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 07:30:08 AM »
Please vote. This is Positively Jax.