Poll

Should there be an ADA Handicapped watercraft hand launch parking spot at the DCPS building next to the JEA property?

Yes
No

Author Topic: ADA Handicapped Community Issue  (Read 6713 times)

Noone

Re: ADA Handicapped Community Issue
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 07:55:41 AM »
2015-777 is active legislation.
Where is 007?

2015-802 Public Hearing at the 12/8/15 full meeting of the Jacksonville city council. Wheelchair gang. Keep Wheelin.

2015-827- Tera Meeks
2015-830- Beth Meyer

Canceling my Downtown District RICO loop today because of wind.

Noone

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 06:26:32 PM »
Wanted to bump this after a positive 12/9/15 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting and a positive KJB Commission meeting.

Noone

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 04:26:14 PM »
Somebody pinch me.

I was on the Westside about 11:30 am just off Normandy and drive by a couple of official looking vehicles that were parked and a couple of other official guys were outside. So I park and ask some people who are there if they know who is visiting. I'm about 100' feet away and the car door opens and out steps Gov. Scott. I give a shout out. And was going to take a picture and he starts walking towards me. Asked me how things were going and what I did and I mentioned to him that I would like to do something Downtown on the Waterway in Jacksonville. I mention to him about the recent FIND meeting and that an ADA HANDICAPPED Watercraft hand launch parking spot for the Wheelchair gang had been put on the 2016 FIND list and mentioned Jacksonville Waterways Commission member Ray Pringle. The Governor was receptive to the idea and mentioned Mayor Lenny Curry. He also gave me the name of Mr. Wes Maul to keep him posted as this positive benefit moves forward through the Legislative Process.

The Commissioners of FIND are appointed by the Governor and represent the East Coast of the state of Florida.

Somebody pinch me.

Noone

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 05:50:53 AM »
Can't have a better SPONSOR for a FIND project than the Governor of the state of Florida. Very Positive.

Noone

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 06:23:41 AM »
Governor Scott in Jacksonville again today at Sweet Pete's 10:30 am. Somebody, anybody, ask him about Economic Opportunity for the ADA HANDICAPPED project that was voted on at the 11/20/15 FIND subcommittee meeting of the Jacksonville Waterways Commission and made the 2016 FIND Alternative project list. This WILL impact the state of Florida.

Noone

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 06:44:08 AM »
Sydney J. Gefen passes. Ferris Wheel for the Northbank?
ADA HANDICAPPED Watercraft hand launch parking spot a 2016 FIND project for the Southbank?
All positive.

Noone

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 12:21:22 AM »
Governor Scott in Jacksonville again today at Sweet Pete's 10:30 am. Somebody, anybody, ask him about Economic Opportunity for the ADA HANDICAPPED project that was voted on at the 11/20/15 FIND subcommittee meeting of the Jacksonville Waterways Commission and made the 2016 FIND Alternative project list. This WILL impact the state of Florida.

Didn't mention this to Gov. Scott or Mayor Curry today but did mention this to State Rep Lake Ray, Jacksonville At-Large city councilman Sam Newby, and TU reporter David Bauerlein. Congratulations to Sweet Pete's.

Noone

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 03:16:48 AM »
Has the 2016 FIND Potential Project list been shown or mentioned in any Print, Radio or TV media? Our property tax money. Final meeting 1/8/16 at city hall. Scott Wilson, where are you? Your Vote counts.

Noone

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 05:33:21 AM »
The 1/8/16 FIND meeting of the great LOST has been CANCELED!
Keep voting.
Has any organization in print, TV, radio made available to anyone in the Public the current 2016 FIND Potential Project list that was voted on at the 11/20/15 meeting?
Total Backroom deals.
Plan on closing out 2015 with a Downtown Jacksonville District RICO Loop in some of the most restricted Waterways in the state. Will do a Vivian Harrell KJB Bluebag cleanup. Throw in some Environmental Ethics-Vince Seibold.
Stay Positive.
I am Downtown and why you aren't.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:49:49 AM by Noone »

Noone

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »
Keep voting. If we have to we will support the Wheelchair gang in another county.

Before my trip I emailed Capt. Jim Suber the Waterways Coordinator for the city of Jacksonville.
Will be emailing him a report.
Brief imaginary Task force update.
Came over Mathews bridge and noticed the smoldering smoke from campfires on Exchange Club Island. Took Main St. To RCB. Launched with outgoing tide. Took it over to Berkman Plaza, Plaza at Berkman. Fished under the brand new No Fishing signs that was never before Waterways. Then took it to Hogans Creek. Garbage everywhere. Bird activity was strong. There was a HUGE snapping turtle that was stuck on a log. Very cool. Did a Vivian Harrell KJB Bluebag cleanup. Homeless camps were active. Then took it back and continued to fish at the Jim Love, Kevin Kuzel 26' Berkman Floating dock compromise (Shipyards III) misrepresented by OGC to the Jacksonville Waterways Commission during the 2013 FIND grant application process. Anchored up and spoke to a number of people while I caught Reds, Mangrove Snapper, Croakers, Catfish. Wind was picking up and took it back to RCB.

Happy New Year!

Visit Jacksonville!

Noone

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 01:44:30 AM »
Had a positive email back from my District 4 Jacksonville city council representative. Has anyone seen the 2016 FIND Project list? Next Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting 4 days out. Our property tax money. Stay Positive.

Noone

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 08:10:33 AM »
Thank you to those who have voted for a Positive Project for the Wheelchair gang.

Noone

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 05:55:59 AM »
Spoke at the 1/12/16 full meeting of the Jacksonville city council on 2016-18 then at the full meeting of the Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting where 2016-18 was voted on and advanced to the Jacksonville city council for a final vote of our 2016 FIND Projects. We are so LOST. HEY! We have a Maritime Management Plan! When did Shipyards go from 150 slips to 400? HEY! We have a BRAND NEW BOAT RAMP in this Project List. Does Putnam county know about this?

The Tom Ingram, Ray Pringle, Lori Boyer, Scott Wilson,Scott Shine, ADA HANDICAPPED Watercraft hand launch parking spot is on the 2016 FIND Alternative Project list. Support is needed from our Educational Community. Have an email in to our St. Johns Riverkeeper.

Noone

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 03:30:44 AM »
There isn't even a regualr kayak launch on the river walk except for the boat ramp.  Why not put the handicapped launch there.  What does a handicapped kayak launch even require?  What qualifies the DCSB building is an appropriate spot for such a launch?

I don't know enough about this issue to vote. I think your comments mirror some of the things I was thinking.

As a general rule, I would argue in favour of handicapped-accessable facilities alongside the standard facilities if and where possible. If this question is more along the lines of, "Should there be a kayak launch that is also ADA compliant at the DCSB building" then I'd say I need more info on whether it is feasible, what the cost would be, what the positives and negatives are and what objections (if any) exist.

Great questions. According to Tera Meeks at the 1/13/16 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting the Project is feasable. The cost for the Public Access ADA compliant kayak launch at the end of the Southbank Riverwalk at the DCSB building next to JEA (District) property is $120,000. The only objection is coming from the Educational Community. Have an email in to Lisa Rinaman our St. Johns Riverkeeper for support.

acme54321

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 07:36:05 AM »
I would understand by DCSB wouldn't want it there.  You'd be interfering with what is basically their dock area and vehicle parking area.  It's already tight to just get in and out of there, I couldn't imagine what would be required for parking at a handicapped kayak launch, but it probably takes a lot of space.  What is the reasoning for this site over one at a park or land that the city already owns?  It seems to me that there would be a lot of better options than this location.