Poll

Should there be an ADA Handicapped watercraft hand launch parking spot at the DCPS building next to the JEA property?

Yes
No

Author Topic: ADA Handicapped Community Issue  (Read 6695 times)

Noone

Re: ADA Handicapped Community Issue
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 08:46:56 AM »
Naturally we will be informed by the TU, Folio, Daily Recod, radio, TV stations, Fishing shows about all the reasoning for the 100's of thousands of dollars of our property tax money that is active legislation that is moving through the process. Wrong about the Parking.

I applaud the Jacksonville Waterways Commission for including this ADA Project on the list for the Wheelchair Gang.

Noone

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 03:30:52 AM »
There isn't even a regualr kayak launch on the river walk except for the boat ramp.  Why not put the handicapped launch there.  What does a handicapped kayak launch even require?  What qualifies the DCSB building is an appropriate spot for such a launch?

I don't know enough about this issue to vote. I think your comments mirror some of the things I was thinking.

As a general rule, I would argue in favour of handicapped-accessable facilities alongside the standard facilities if and where possible. If this question is more along the lines of, "Should there be a kayak launch that is also ADA compliant at the DCSB building" then I'd say I need more info on whether it is feasible, what the cost would be, what the positives and negatives are and what objections (if any) exist.

Great questions. According to Tera Meeks at the 1/13/16 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting the Project is feasable. The cost for the Public Access ADA compliant kayak launch at the end of the Southbank Riverwalk at the DCSB building next to JEA (District) property is $120,000. The only objection is coming from the Educational Community. Have an email in to Lisa Rinaman our St. Johns Riverkeeper for support.

WOW! Just 7 days ago 2016-18 was on the agenda for the 1/13/16 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting and approved 9-0 to be advanced to a full floor vote of the Jacksonville city council at their next 1/26/16 meeting. Went to coj.net to check the legislation and it has been WITHDRAWN.

This is OUR property tax money.

Does Putnam county know about this?

Noone

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2016, 05:28:57 PM »
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Did a District RICO loop within our new 2014-560 zone in my SMART kayak. Parked my SMART van 2016-131 Down by the River at the RCB kayak launch. Caught and will harvest a beautiful 26 3/4" red drim under the brand new No Fishing signs that was never before Wayerways. Did a Vivian Harrell KJB beautiful Bluebag cleanup along with some Vince Seibold Environmental Ethics.

Left the Vivian Harrell KJB Bluebag on the garbage can at the Southbank Riverwalk 2014-190.

I am Downtown and why you aren't

Noone

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2016, 01:04:37 PM »
Happy Mothers Day
ADA Wheelchair gang Adaptive Programming subcommittee meeting of the Jacksonville Waterways Commission is scheduled for 5/9/16 on the 4th floor of city hall and is Open to the Public. Jill Haskell is the Chair. Starts at 10 am.

Also there is an Uber and Lyft meeting scheduled for 10:30 am on the 1 st floor. Councilman Schellenberg is the Chair. Will Public Comment be allowed? Don't bet your medallion on it.

Also at 5pm is an Ethics Commission meeting. Will there be any media there given the abrupt departure of our IG guy Tom Cline? Probably
not.

Noone

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
ADA HANDICAPPED Adaptive Programming subcommittee meeting of the Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting 1 hour out at 10 am 4th floor Conf. Rm A. Open to the Public.