Author Topic: Vaping's Dirty Little Secret  (Read 5141 times)

Tacachale

Re: Vaping's Dirty Little Secret
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 03:02:39 PM »
At UNF we recently went smoke free. The biggest reason was because our surveys showed that the majority of people on campus wanted it - even a lot of self-reported smokers wanted it smoke free. In area where you've got around 20k people in a fairly tight area, coming in and out of the same buildings, walkways, and parking areas all day, second hand smoke is very obnoxious even for people that smoke themselves. Another major reason was one a lot of people didn't think about: the environmental cost. Even people sticking to designated areas were throwing butts all over the place. In addition to being bad for the environment, cleaning up this litter wastes a *lot* of the groundskeepers' time and energy.

One thing we decided early on was that we did NOT want to be the kind of place that shunned or disparaged people for smoking. So the enforcement is pretty lenient. There's no fine or anything, we just leave it up to everyone on campus to remind folks that smoking isn't allowed on campus. If they refuse, we let it go, but most people don't. And we put some more resources into existing health programs to help people quit smoking.

We decided to leave vaping out of the ban. The reason for that was that at the time, no one had established that it was truly bad for you or others, and in general it doesn't have the litter issue. It does appear that there's been an increase in vaping along with the decrease in smoking, and that people vape in areas where they usually wouldn't smoke (including inside or under covered walkways). But if fewer people are smoking cigarettes, I'd consider it a win.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 03:09:39 PM »
At UNF we recently went smoke free. The biggest reason was because our surveys showed that the majority of people on campus wanted it - even a lot of self-reported smokers wanted it smoke free. In area where you've got around 20k people in a fairly tight area, coming in and out of the same buildings, walkways, and parking areas all day, second hand smoke is very obnoxious even for people that smoke themselves. Another major reason was one a lot of people didn't think about: the environmental cost. Even people sticking to designated areas were throwing butts all over the place. In addition to being bad for the environment, cleaning up this litter wastes a *lot* of the groundskeepers' time and energy.

One thing we decided early on was that we did NOT want to be the kind of place that shunned or disparaged people for smoking. So the enforcement is pretty lenient. There's no fine or anything, we just leave it up to everyone on campus to remind folks that smoking isn't allowed on campus. If they refuse, we let it go, but most people don't. And we put some more resources into existing health programs to help people quit smoking.

We decided to leave vaping out of the ban. The reason for that was that at the time, no one had established that it was truly bad for you or others, and in general it doesn't have the litter issue. It does appear that there's been an increase in vaping along with the decrease in smoking, and that people vape in areas where they usually wouldn't smoke (including inside or under covered walkways). But if fewer people are smoking cigarettes, I'd consider it a win.

That sounds completely sensible to me.

As I mentioned before, I smoked for about 20 years.

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 10:28:35 PM »
I'm shocked at how many young people smoke. Anyone under 40 knows how bad smoking is, its amazing anyone even starts.
Noit to mention the cost!
Jags season ticket holder.

Gunnar

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 03:44:01 AM »
even a lot of self-reported smokers wanted it smoke free.

I find it hard to believe that a large part of active smokers would welcome a completely smoke free campus (i.e. without any designated smoking areas at all).

One thing we decided early on was that we did NOT want to be the kind of place that shunned or disparaged people for smoking. So the enforcement is pretty lenient. There's no fine or anything, we just leave it up to everyone on campus to remind folks that smoking isn't allowed on campus. 

Yup, that does not sound like disparaging / shunning people at all. 

Using the public to police "gently remind" miscreants of the error of their ways is a stronger deterrent than campus police handing out fines.

We decided to leave vaping out of the ban.

Probably for the time being (so that smokers think "I can't smoke but at least I'll be able to vape, so it's not that bad") but  I would bet this is going to be changed at a later time.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 04:00:20 AM »

One thing we decided early on was that we did NOT want to be the kind of place that shunned or disparaged people for smoking. So the enforcement is pretty lenient. There's no fine or anything, we just leave it up to everyone on campus to remind folks that smoking isn't allowed on campus. 

Wait a second... people reminding others of the law or the rules is not "disparaging or shunning". That logic is the same kind of logic supposedly employed by 'social justice warriors' - you hurt my feelings by reminding me I am not allowed to smoke on campus!

The bottom line is that smoking is a habit that, unfortunately, affects more than just the smoker. Ideally, there would be some sort of compromise whereby smokers would be allowed to smoke in designated smoking areas - because, although it is a choice, some smokers struggle going without a cigarette for an extended period of time.

Gunnar

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 05:30:01 AM »

Wait a second... people reminding others of the law or the rules is not "disparaging or shunning". That logic is the same kind of logic supposedly employed by 'social justice warriors' - you hurt my feelings by reminding me I am not allowed to smoke on campus!

The bottom line is that smoking is a habit that, unfortunately, affects more than just the smoker. Ideally, there would be some sort of compromise whereby smokers would be allowed to smoke in designated smoking areas - because, although it is a choice, some smokers struggle going without a cigarette for an extended period of time.

I agree with you on the second part because the rule as it stands is to eliminate smokers from campus. Sure, they can vape for now but going by experience that option will disappear, as well. 

Regarding your first comment: It is a rule - the UNF is free to establish - but not a law. There is a difference. While it does not bar smokers from being a part of UNF (if they remain closeted), it does establish peer pressure to conform to said rule. And classifying that as being lenient is - at least for me - dishonest.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 06:31:38 AM »

I agree with you on the second part because the rule as it stands is to eliminate smokers from campus. Sure, they can vape for now but going by experience that option will disappear, as well. 

Regarding your first comment: It is a rule - the UNF is free to establish - but not a law. There is a difference. While it does not bar smokers from being a part of UNF (if they remain closeted), it does establish peer pressure to conform to said rule. And classifying that as being lenient is - at least for me - dishonest.

I wrote "law or the rules". It may be a law - the term is loose (including such things as byelaws) - but it's not a statute. It is definitely a rule. Either way, relying on the community to enforce the *rules* is less heavy-handed than using the police (not sure if the UNF police would enforce this *rule* as they are sworn police officers - if they do, then it is reasonably considered a law [still not a statute]).

We use 'peer pressure' to stop people making sexist, homophobic or racist comments in 'polite society'. That's established - when someone says something offensive, people speak up and point out that it's not acceptable behavior. That's not considered disparaging or shunning behavior (unless the reaction is excessive, which is not what we're discussing here).

Gunnar

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 08:13:43 AM »
We use 'peer pressure' to stop people making sexist, homophobic or racist comments in 'polite society'. That's established - when someone says something offensive, people speak up and point out that it's not acceptable behavior. That's not considered disparaging or shunning behavior (unless the reaction is excessive, which is not what we're discussing here).

Peer pressure itself can be used for and against anything. Just as much as it is used against sexism, homophobia and racism it can also be used for them. By its nature, peer pressure (and specifically calling for it) is excessive in that it turns everyone into the "police" (conform or be excluded from the group). Personally, I find this a much more effective than a non-peer group giving out fines.

I-10east

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 10:47:43 PM »
well eventually, its often hospice with the other cancer patients.
given whats currently known about vaping though, I am grateful for it helping my mom to quit smoking after 48 years.

That's so true. That's exactly what happened to my aunt. They took her to Ludlow Hospice on Sunbeam Rd in 2011; She obviously didn't wanna be be there, and I can only imagine that feeling. That place was the most eerily silent and melancholy I've ever been too, a far cry from those 'sunshine and rainbows' hospice commercials.

Similiar like your Mom Stephen, all of her siblings (excluding my Mom who never liked smoking) quit smoking a long time ago, but she couldn't stop that habit; She would've been here today if only she followed her other siblings.

Tacachale

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 10:44:15 AM »
This is getting beyond the vaping discussion, but I'll respond:
even a lot of self-reported smokers wanted it smoke free.

I find it hard to believe that a large part of active smokers would welcome a completely smoke free campus (i.e. without any designated smoking areas at all).

I saw the surveys, and it's true. Conceivably, even people that smoke don't want to walk through other peoples' second-hand smoke, deal with the litter, etc.

I'd submit that it's not, in the way that handing out conduct citations or fines would be.

Using the public to police "gently remind" miscreants of the error of their ways is a stronger deterrent than campus police handing out fines.

Having seen this in play for other issues on campus, I doubt it. But if it really becomes a "stronger deterrent", so much the better.

We decided to leave vaping out of the ban.

Probably for the time being (so that smokers think "I can't smoke but at least I'll be able to vape, so it's not that bad") but  I would bet this is going to be changed at a later time.

The vaping issue will be revisited once there's more information. If the studies show that vaping has health concerns, or if it has some other issue, it likely will be banned, or restricted to certain areas.

We used to have designated smoking areas, and they really didn't work. For one thing, the layout of the campus made it hard to find areas that were removed from buildings and common areas that smokers would actually use. And they did very little on the litter issue - people would throw their butts on the ground right next to ash containers.

I wrote "law or the rules". It may be a law - the term is loose (including such things as byelaws) - but it's not a statute. It is definitely a rule. Either way, relying on the community to enforce the *rules* is less heavy-handed than using the police (not sure if the UNF police would enforce this *rule* as they are sworn police officers - if they do, then it is reasonably considered a law [still not a statute]).

There are both laws and university rules governing smoking at UNF. The state law on smoking in enclosed areas covers buildings and many covered walkways, for instance. As far as enforcement, I'd think it's more lenient to not issue fines or conduct violations than to issue them.

Dog Walker

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 04:18:48 PM »
One of the best things about vaping is that it doesn't leave behind the little white pellets of poison that cigarettes do.  I would love to see a law outlawing cigarette filters.

Here's a futile request:  "Smokers, please don't throw you burned out cigarettes on the ground.  The filters last for years and are full of the poisons that belong in your lungs."
When all else fails hug the dog.

BridgeTroll

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 08:33:22 AM »
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/what-is-the-cdc-implying-with-this-vaping-psa-e-cigarettes-smoking-tobacco

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zwfC63Icczk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zwfC63Icczk</a>

Gunnar

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2016, 08:11:04 AM »
Do you find that in any way surprising ?