Author Topic: Pension fix only issue on Mayor Lenny Curry's agenda  (Read 10650 times)

spuwho

Re: Pension fix only issue on Mayor Lenny Curry's agenda
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 08:27:05 AM »
I get it. He wants everyone to focus and pay attention to the pension issue.

But I still havent seen a compelling argument for the borrow now, pay later approach.

I also think that using a sales tax to pay for what is essentially a core municipal service is bad civic policy. It really should be bundled inside the property assessments.

CCMjax

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »
Brilliant, once elected tell everyone not to expect much.  Then if nothing gets done in the first term that doesn't come back to haunt you since "well we had this pension thing we had to figure out."

ronchamblin

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:32:31 AM by ronchamblin »

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 07:59:36 PM »

Ron, with respect, I don't understand what you are saying. Can you give it to me in 3 sentences?

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 08:04:25 PM »
Apparently, if we continue at current funding rates we'll cover 98% of the obligationby 2045. If we follow Curry's plan, we'll be at 58% to 65% of our obligation by 2045.

From the TU, 2/18/16

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2016-02-18/story/currys-plan-would-leave-pension-plans-only-partially-funded-after-30more on above link.

###

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville

Tacachale

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 08:41:39 PM »
So if we stay on the current funding schedule that cripples the annual budget and has been keeping the city from fulfilling basic functions for 8 years, we'll be almost OK in 29 years? Lol, good to know.

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 09:47:12 PM »
I'm still brushing the surface of this plan but it's weird.

spuwho

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 09:47:12 PM »
Apparently, if we continue at current funding rates we'll cover 98% of the obligationby 2045. If we follow Curry's plan, we'll be at 58% to 65% of our obligation by 2045.

From the TU, 2/18/16

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2016-02-18/story/currys-plan-would-leave-pension-plans-only-partially-funded-after-30more on above link.

###

It a simple calculation of money over time. The more you put in now, the more value it has later.

The more you defer it, the less time it has to increase in value, or in this case, the interest on the bonds you had to buy, cuts into the final return.

As I have said earlier, this is a kick the ball down the field "solution" that doesn't solve anything, its political expediency.

The whole effort to get the state legislature to pass special laws permitting it, could have been spent convincing city council to start a gradual rise in the property tax to increase revenue over time. 

This is a clear example of what happens when a politico is stuck inside their dogma.

I think this referendum will not pass.

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 10:40:28 PM »
So if we stay on the current funding schedule that cripples the annual budget and has been keeping the city from fulfilling basic functions for 8 years, we'll be almost OK in 29 years? Lol, good to know.

Tachahale, what do you understand that I am not understanding? Please note, I am genuinely asking. I'm not sparring.

The more I read about it, the worst it looks. So, I'm hoping for some enlightenment from supporters of the plan.

The way I'm reading it, We're going into more debt for the pension, and we are opening the door to other debt.  By using our future sales tax revenue as a current asset, we'll attempt to issue bonds for, I guess, not the Jaguars(?), but vital essential city functions.

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 10:44:33 PM »

From the TU, 2/18/16

###

It a simple calculation of money over time. The more you put in now, the more value it has later.

The more you defer it, the less time it has to increase in value, or in this case, the interest on the bonds you had to buy, cuts into the final return.

As I have said earlier, this is a kick the ball down the field "solution" that doesn't solve anything, its political expediency.

The whole effort to get the state legislature to pass special laws permitting it, could have been spent convincing city council to start a gradual rise in the property tax to increase revenue over time. 

This is a clear example of what happens when a politico is stuck inside their dogma.

According to the TU there is a $3 million marketing plan in the works for this referendum. If there isn't organized opposition to this plan I can see it pass.

mtraininjax

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 07:21:43 AM »
I get it. He wants everyone to focus and pay attention to the pension issue.

But I still havent seen a compelling argument for the borrow now, pay later approach.

I also think that using a sales tax to pay for what is essentially a core municipal service is bad civic policy. It really should be bundled inside the property assessments.

+1

The city could be burning down around him and he'd still be clutching to his phrase, "we must pay for the pension" before we pay for emergency operations. I voted for him, but so far, he's showed me little else but that he can repeat the same sentence over and over again.

He needs a new tune! This one is boring.....

camarocane

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 07:38:14 AM »

From the TU, 2/18/16

###

Maybe I'm incorrect, but I thought once the bill passed, all new city employees will be on a 401k. This bill would terminate the pension's growth overnight. On top of that, all contributions would increase by 2% across the board. 

fieldafm

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 08:45:51 AM »
A few VERY important points of clarification:

withholding of substantial funds for projects

I understand that most people in this world do not pay much attention to municipal budgets, but over the past several years... most of the new 'spending' is in the form of debt (generally, debt is paid back over a period of time). There isn't this vast pot of money that is buried under City Hall, instead a proverbial credit card has been used. An examination of the growth of the 'banking fund' (which is a nice way of saying 'credit card') illustrates this point.

'Withholding of substantial funds' is not an accurate portrayal, as new spending is by and large coming from going into more debt. I think if most people view the city budget under that much more accurate characterization... then you'll appreciate that going into more and more debt is probably not the most prudent financial decision. At some point, that becomes unsustainable. Most people that really study the municipal budget recognize that we, as a city, are at that point.

Tachahale, what do you understand that I am not understanding? Please note, I am genuinely asking. I'm not sparring.

The more I read about it, the worst it looks. So, I'm hoping for some enlightenment from supporters of the plan

What you need to understand, is that in order to get 98% funded... the portion of current city spending dedicated to paying pension obligations (mainly ad valorum revenue) would drastically increase over the next 20 years without a dedicated source of new revenue. I apologize for not having the numbers in front of me so not trying to bring hyperbole to the discussion, but on rough numbers something like 35% of the current budget is allocated towards the pension. That increases to something like over 50% in a short period of time. Without a new dedicated source of funding, that would grow to 60%+ in the medium term... and in the long term would be much greater.    Again, rough numbers... so if I'm off a little, the point is to illustrate an 'accurate-ish' portrayal of what the future holds.

To put that in perspective, if you brought your family of 5 to V Pizza in San Marco and bought an 18" pizza... 6" of that pizza today goes to someone else (the pension), 4" is going to pay for pizza you bought yesterday (bond obligations.. how municipal governments borrower money), you have to have 2" mandated by law to placed in a to-go box (mandated reserves) and then the rest you get to eat and split between your family of 5 people. 

If you went in 5 years from now your same family of 5 now gets 9" of that pizza set aside for someone else (the pension), 4" to pay for pizza you bought 5 years and 1 day ago (bond obligations), 2" must go in a to-go box (mandated reserves) and the rest to be split between your family of 5 people. Those 5 people are going to go home substantially more hungry than they were 5 years ago (meaning less potholes are being fixed, less police officers are arresting bad guys, the streetlights in your neighborhood are never coming back on, etc). You may then start to worry about the ability of your sons and daughters to be properly nourished... and your wife is really cranky because she hasn't had much to eat lately.

In 10 years from now, almost 11" of that pizza is going to go to paying someone else (pension), 4" to pay for pizza your bought 10 years and 1 day ago (assuming you haven't used your credit card to start buying extra pizzas in the last 10 years... unlikely because your family is really hungry and malnourished)... and so on. 

You either have to make a bigger pizza (raise property taxes)... something that the owner of V Pizza is unlikely to do, because no one would want to come into his restaurant anymore (customers respond to jacking up prices by not coming into your restaurant... much the way that voters would likely not vote for a property tax increase.. and you'd be fooling yourself if you think that voters would go to the polls in August to jack up their property taxes to pay for the pension)... or you have to create another dedicated source of food product (revenue), say a calzone (sales tax), to start giving someone else (pension obligations) so that your family of 5 doesn't end up with only 4" of people to eat.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 08:57:36 AM by fieldafm »