Author Topic: Baptist MD Anderson Cancer Center Renderings  (Read 3848 times)

jaxlongtimer

Re: Baptist MD Anderson Cancer Center Renderings
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 08:07:14 PM »
I am surprised they didn't make another skywalk to the giant parking garage to the east.  Then, employees could walk through the entire complex above the street, secure in the building, especially those on the night shifts.  A further connection to Nemours skywalk or another one over I-95, and you could walk the entire Baptist complex indoors, above the street. 

Up north, this would be a no brainier with their weather.  In Charlotte, as I recall, they took the second level of a large parking garage, put stores on it, and then connected that with skywalks to both the multiple Bank of America and Wells Fargo tower complexes which were on each side of the garage to create an above the street amenity.

Given Jacksonville's pedestrian accident rate, keeping thousands of Baptist employees out of crosswalks probably is a good idea :).

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 08:57:01 PM »
^Let's not give any crazy ideas here:)

Generally, skywalks are bad for urban environments. They take people off the street and do a good job killing the pedestrian activity. Generally, Hospitals have the best excuse for them - whether or not they are for employees or patients they can say they are for patients and thus it becomes a medical need. Who would argue with them?

jaxjaguar

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 08:57:46 PM »
Agree with the skywalks comments. I don't understand why we don't have more of these. It helps with security, keeps people out of the heat and helps traffic flow (especially near the hospitals)

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 09:01:23 PM »
Actually, just realized something: This is south of I-95. DDRB will not be reviewing this - it isn't technically downtown.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 11:15:02 PM »
^No DDRB needed. Council could possibly approve the PUD by the end of the month.

reednavy

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 09:29:24 AM »
Jacksonville already has a renowned medical center in UF Shands, plus world-class Mayo Clinic, and now with MD Anderson coming into the mix, the city could become quite the destination for healthcare. You have three extremely reputable brands in one city, and that's pretty damn amazing.

URY914

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 11:01:34 AM »
I am surprised they didn't make another skywalk to the giant parking garage to the east.  Then, employees could walk through the entire complex above the street, secure in the building, especially those on the night shifts.  A further connection to Nemours skywalk or another one over I-95, and you could walk the entire Baptist complex indoors, above the street. 

There is no "giant parking garage to the east." The parking garage is on the north side of the Anderson building. The building to the east is the existing out patient center for Baptist. It does have a MD Anderson sign on it now because Anderson is occupying floors in the building until their new building is completed.

BTW, I work at Baptist.

CCMjax

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 12:58:40 PM »
Agree with the skywalks comments. I don't understand why we don't have more of these. It helps with security, keeps people out of the heat and helps traffic flow (especially near the hospitals)

They are expensive.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 01:31:06 PM »

There is no "giant parking garage to the east." The parking garage is on the north side of the Anderson building. The building to the east is the existing out patient center for Baptist. It does have a MD Anderson sign on it now because Anderson is occupying floors in the building until their new building is completed.

BTW, I work at Baptist.

I believe the reference to "the giant parking garage to the east" is for the one that is proposed as a part of this project. You can see it on the plan below:

URY914

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 09:23:45 AM »
My response was a reply to the comment on why not build a elevated walkway (skywalk) to the garage to the east when there isn't a parking garage to the east. It is a "future" garage location. Maybe in the future when the garage is built there is be discussion on a connecting skywalk.

There will be a new garage built north of 95, on the east side of Palm Ave. This one is already in the planing stage and it will have a skywalk to the hospital over Palm.