Author Topic: Anti HRO Vandalism in Jacksonville's Five Points Area  (Read 6911 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Anti HRO Vandalism in Jacksonville's Five Points Area
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 11:10:07 AM »
LOL. Was it done with the consent of the owner of the property originally?

The article says it was.

"The man vandalized a public art project sponsored by the owner of the building, arts advocate Steve Williams"

Stop confusing us with the facts!

Bewler

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2016, 11:33:42 AM »

The article says it was.

"The man vandalized a public art project sponsored by the owner of the building, arts advocate Steve Williams"

Well I'm not saying it definitively is a fact, I'm just going by what the article says and assuming its accurate. It's entirely possible the construction worker who crossed out the message didn't know the owner endorsed the message or that it was supposed to be an artistic "mural"  or whatever and he's looking at it like its a bathroom wall scribble.

But regardless of whether or not he knew this, it was still idiotic of him to do that to a building he was hired to work on. He could have spray painted something benign like "I enjoy cake" and still have gotten fired over it.

And if he DID know the owner supported the message, then it was exponentially more idiotic. Unless he just didn't care that much about his job.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2016, 11:44:34 AM »

The article says it was.

Well I'm not saying it definitively is a fact, I'm just going by what the article says and assuming its accurate. It's entirely possible the construction worker who crossed out the message didn't know the owner endorsed the message or that it was supposed to be an artistic "mural"  or whatever and he's looking at it like its a bathroom wall scribble.

But regardless of whether or not he knew this, it was still idiotic of him to do that to a building he was hired to work on. He could have spray painted something benign like "I enjoy cake" and still have gotten fired over it.

And if he DID know the owner supported the message, then it was exponentially more idiotic. Unless he just didn't care that much about his job.

I agree.

FlaBoy

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2016, 12:50:46 PM »

The article says it was.

I agree.

If it was done with the consent of the owner, then it was completely justified to fire him.

AKIRA

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2016, 04:42:03 PM »
Keeping in mind events like the 9 yo girl nearly killed by the man in a BestBuy (female) restroom a couple years ago, it will be a tricky game figuring out who "legitimately" belongs in the restroom and who does not...

Does this kind of thinking extend to other situations?  Like, if we keep in mind the number of sexual assaults committed by policemen against females around the country, should we ban male cops from making traffic stops?  Or arrests?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2016, 06:21:28 PM »

Not cars, drivers.

Every restroom (or most, at least) has a sign designating it as a men's room or a ladies' room.

Every car may have a tag, but that tag doesn't necessarily say anything about the driver.

johncb

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2016, 07:59:16 PM »
In my HUMBLE opinion , that wasn't "Art " . It was simply a message . That being said, the guy was an idiot but does he really need to lose his job over it ? Is that going to make him more open minded towards trans folks now ?  Wouldn't it have been more productive to TALK to him , maybe explain the message ? You cant change an asshole by acting like one yourself . Its intolerance , just like his action was .

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2016, 08:17:03 PM »
In my HUMBLE opinion , that wasn't "Art " . It was simply a message . That being said, the guy was an idiot but does he really need to lose his job over it ? Is that going to make him more open minded towards trans folks now ?  Wouldn't it have been more productive to TALK to him , maybe explain the message ? You cant change an asshole by acting like one yourself . Its intolerance , just like his action was .

Is this art?

I-10east

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2016, 03:40:56 AM »
Does this kind of thinking extend to other situations?  Like, if we keep in mind the number of sexual assaults committed by policemen against females around the country, should we ban male cops from making traffic stops?  Or arrests?

::) ::) ::)

peestandingup

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 11:58:15 PM »
Transgender 0.3% of the population = The plight of the century! ;)

Honestly, lets just go all unisex with stalls so we can put this to rest. Or better yet bring back the single outhouse, or what my grandpa called "the shit hole" (as in a hole you put shit in). Easy peasy.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 02:23:41 AM »
Transgender 0.3% of the population = The plight of the century! ;)

Well, it's a burden for them.

That's the way civil rights work. If we only worried about civil rights when it became a burden for the  majority, there would be no civil rights at all for minority groups.