Author Topic: Racism is a system of oppression, not a series of bloopers  (Read 853 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
I thought this was a very thought-provoking article and one of the most sensible things I've read in a while. I thought I'd share it here, given the discussions we've had about micro aggressions, etc.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/04/racism-gerry-adams-n-word-fetishise-bloopers-cumberbatch?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I-10east

Re: Racism is a system of oppression, not a series of bloopers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 11:25:58 PM »
I'm gonna quote (or paraphrase) Painlessrisen on youtube (because I'm not plagiarizing). "Racism is a byproduct of multiculturalism; Anytime you have a groups of people in a confined space, many people are all gonna vie for their piece of the pie; politically, resources etc" Contrary to US leftist, racism wasn't invented by US white people. It's a phenomenon all over the world. 

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Racism is a system of oppression, not a series of bloopers
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 01:20:14 AM »
I'm gonna quote (or paraphrase) Painlessrisen on youtube (because I'm not plagiarizing). "Racism is a byproduct of multiculturalism; Anytime you have a groups of people in a confined space, many people are all gonna vie for their piece of the pie; politically, resources etc" Contrary to US leftist, racism wasn't invented by US white people. It's a phenomenon all over the world.

The left wouldn't argue that racism was created by white people. A leftist critique of racism would likely focus on the relations of production and societal superstructure. Racism against black people in the US was created by white people - this particular form of racism is a legacy of slavery.

But racism exists in many societies. I wouldn't agree that it is a byproduct of multiculturalism. In fact, it can exist without multiculturalism. Look at Japan, for example. Japan was a very homogenous society prior to the Second World War, yet followed a fundamentally racist ideology which painted themselves as superior to all other Asian peoples, particularly the Chinese. Japan still has issues with racism. Over 98% of the population of Japan is ethnically Japanese. I wouldn't consider that a multicultural society.