Author Topic: Flying Iguana to San Marco Square?  (Read 1881 times)

sanmarcomatt

Flying Iguana to San Marco Square?
« on: May 05, 2016, 09:37:02 AM »
The latest newsletter from SMPS mentioned that the Flying Iguana is opening a second Jax location (one in Neptune Beach) in the space currently occupied by Stellers art gallery.

I am not a chain fan, but I would take this in a heart beat as we have maxed out at zero on our allotment of $10k paintings.

Anyone else heard anything about this?

alsjr18

Re: Flying Iguana to San Marco Square?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 10:18:08 AM »
This is really interesting. I agree this would be a major coup for San Marco and I hope it's true. I'll keep an eye out for rezoning signs when I'm in the Square. I'm a supporter of the arts but that gallery doesn't really draw me towards San Marco Square. It's kind of a throwaway space in a highly desirable area. Once the Publix and associated businesses open in that area the Square will become even more popular than it already is. I'm sure the residents around that area are going to hate this because that area is already so dense. If true the zoning hearings will no doubt be entertaining.

I'm not really sure I'd classify Flying Iguana as a chain unless there's a parent company or something. It's not totally uncommon for a local restaurants to have multiple locations. Some examples include Burrito Gallery, Maple Street Biscuit Company, European Street, M Shack, Indochine, Forking Amazing Restaurant group of restaurants, Timotis, Moon River Pizza, Al's Pizza, etc. I could go on forever.

I tried to find the most recent edition of the San Marco Preservation Society newsletter but their website is woefully out of date. They might want to step up their online game.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 10:27:59 AM »

I'm not really sure I'd classify Flying Iguana as a chain unless there's a parent company or something.

For some unknown reason, ( well, stupidity would be the obvious reason) I thought it was a national chain. Very pleased to be wrong!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 10:32:04 AM »
This is great news.  I usually park on Sorrento or at the bank when headed to the square, so I haven't seen the state of the church lot behind firehouse in a while.  Is it maxed out?  I would love to see some connectivity and pedestrian solutions rather than increased parking supply if anything is to be done to accommodate the addition of Flying Iguana. 

Stellars should go to the old Hollingsworth space or close to the new Hollingsworth space.  I like the idea of a design district in north San Marco.

alsjr18

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 10:52:05 AM »

I'm not really sure I'd classify Flying Iguana as a chain unless there's a parent company or something.

For some unknown reason, ( well, stupidity would be the obvious reason) I thought it was a national chain. Very pleased to be wrong!

I wasn't sure either so your post prompted me to look. It does appear to be local so I think it's a good fit for San Marco.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 01:57:21 PM »

Stellars should go to the old Hollingsworth space or close to the new Hollingsworth space.  I like the idea of a design district in north San Marco.

Better yet, how about having the gallery join all the other creatives over at N. King St? Make that an art/design/BBQ district.

No doubt Flying Iguana would be a great addition to the Square, but didn't the beighborhoos association made a big stink over Starbucks getting a permit to sell alcohol? Would they voice similar oppostition to this project, for lack of a better term, "getting off the ground?"

marksjax

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 03:28:40 PM »
I believe it is owned by Al Mansur who owns the Al's Pizza chain.

CityLife

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 06:19:40 PM »
I believe it is owned by Al Mansur who owns the Al's Pizza chain.

You are correct

E_Dubya

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 09:11:33 AM »
This is great news.  I usually park on Sorrento or at the bank when headed to the square, so I haven't seen the state of the church lot behind firehouse in a while.  Is it maxed out?  I would love to see some connectivity and pedestrian solutions rather than increased parking supply if anything is to be done to accommodate the addition of Flying Iguana. 

When I don't ride my bike up to the square, I usually park in the church lot. I have seen it fill up during lunch hours. Even when it does fill up completely, there is plenty of room on the side streets north of the square to accommodate parking. I'm with you pedestrian solutions over more parking lots. If my memory is serving me correctly, all (or most) of the back streets in the area have sidewalks, so the square is safely accessible for those who have to park and walk.