Author Topic: 8 Noteworthy Chinese Restaurants of Jacksonville  (Read 1313 times)

Metro Jacksonville

8 Noteworthy Chinese Restaurants of Jacksonville
« on: May 10, 2016, 03:00:04 AM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:37:01 PM by stephendare »

ProjectMaximus

Re: 8 Noteworthy Chinese Restaurants of Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 10:27:14 AM »
*speechless*

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »
I'm not trying to be snotty - I think people get waaay to uppity about "authentic" cuisine - but I can't help but question what is meant by "authentic" in this story. One restaurant serves fusion cuisine. Other serve egg rolls, etc.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:37:41 AM »
*speechless*

lol.  is it all the cilantro or the basil leaves that are taking away the words?

LOL. I think there is a disconnect between the title and the rest of the piece, that's all. Would perhaps be better titled 8 Noteworthy Chinese Restaurants. As Adam said...a decidedly experimental/fusion restaurant is listed, and an American Chinese dish is also provided as the primary sample from another restaurant. 

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
Exactly. I don't doubt they're good restaurants and I always appreciate recommendations!

JaxJersey-licious

Re: The Authentic Chinese Restaurants of Jacksonville
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 01:03:14 PM »
My God, this list is wrong on so many levels but here are two important things to look for concerning Chinese restauraunts - If the majority of their most prominent items caters to non-Chinese diners (i.e. beef, brocccoli, crab rangoon, fusion, "General's", etc.) and the after dinner snack they serve you was originally wrapped in plastic, then the "authenticity" of that particular place is immediately questioned.

Finding more traditional Chinese fare is not an exclusive problem to Jacksonville obviously. A good rule of thumb if your area has more reputable Chinese dining options would be to go to the local area that serves the everyday needs of the Chinese community and see if they have a market that sells fresh seafood of various types. If there is enough demand to sell enough seafood before it goes bad at the end of the day, then there is enough demand for a restauraunt to feature nice legit old country dishes instead of the run-of-the-mill "Happy Family" North Americanized bullshit. 

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 05:36:37 PM »
SD you changed the title to my suggestion?!? I feel strangely honored.  8)