Author Topic: State Attorney's Race Kicks Off With A Bang  (Read 2277 times)

Ming The Merciless

State Attorney's Race Kicks Off With A Bang
« on: May 10, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »
Some interesting facts developing in the State Attorney's race.  Florida Politics and the TU are reporting an apparent connection between Angela Corey and Kenny Leigh, who is the write-in candidate.  Apparently Mr. Leigh -- who seems to have zero interest in actually running for the office -- had his papers filed by Ms. Corey's campaign manager.  The effect of the appearance of a write-in candidate is to close the race so that only registered Republicans can vote in the primary; since there's not a Democrat running for the office, the primary is going to decide the election.  The net effect of this is to shut out Democrats from the election, which is important here since there's not a whole lot of African-Americans who are registered Republicans, a point not missed by Wes White who is running against her.  The facts are going to continue to come out on this, but it sure looks like we're in for some fireworks this election season.

Read the Fla. Politics article here --> http://floridapolitics.com/archives/209244-state-attorney-angela-corey-warns-lies-misinformation-campaign-speech

Murder_me_Rachel

Re: State Attorney's Race Kicks Off With A Bang
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »
According to my attorney friends, there is a still-unannounced, and very well-respected, candidate who will be entering the race, and who stands a substantial chance to beat Corey.

Ming The Merciless

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:38:23 PM »
Registration closed.  Melissa Nelson fits that description though.

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 04:01:28 PM »
Registration closed.  Melissa Nelson fits that description though.

Oh damn.  DUH.  Yeah, that clearly must be who they are talking about.  Thanks!

Charles Hunter

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »
Color me [not] suprised at Corey's shenanigans.

I have  it from a reliable source that Angela is making the rounds of the CPACs. Don't think she's ever been to them before.

Bridges

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »
This is craziness.  Beyond the shadiness of this specific instance, the rule itself is insane.
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

Ming The Merciless

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 11:32:25 AM »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 11:40:48 AM »
I will be making the switch.
Of course, the state GOP will spin it as people seeing the light, and coming over to the right side.

Bridges

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »
Littlepage suggests a very practical workaround for the voter suppression tactics being employed.

http://m.jacksonville.com/opinion/ron-littlepage/2016-05-12/story/ron-littlepage-corey-election-fight-despite-cheap-trick#article=6841F8429BACF207F3E519228E95AB52079F

That isn't practical at all!  Change your party to fit the rules this year, change it back in 2 years for the primary you want to vote in, then change it again for the local election. 

This is absolute madness.  One of the most important positions in our city, and its rigged.  Right in front of us, and Littlepage's response is to game the system in a manner which is not convenient at all?  The Public Defender is rigged too.  The coziness of teh PD and the SA is already very unethical.

We already have low voter turnout, now put the election on a random day in August, remove over half of the voting populace, and you have a State Attorney elected by less than 10% of the population she will represent. 
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

Ming The Merciless

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
Well, it would seem your options are (a) complain about the lack of fairness and hope that the Legislature does something about it, which seems unlikely since it's an effective tool for both parties or (b) spend 3 minutes and $0.50 to make a change so that you're not disenfranchised.

Just in case you decide on option (b), here's the link to the form --> http://www.duvalelections.com/Voter-Information/Register-to-Vote-Update-Address-Name-Party/Register-To-Vote-Update-Address-Name-Party/Online-Voter-Registration

Bridges

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 04:31:15 PM »
As a registered Republican, I don't have to make a change.  It isn't an effective tool for parties.  Its an effective tool for corruption.  We would have a Republican SA and PD regardless of the write in candidate. 

I recommend contacting your Florida House and Senate Representatives.  Link to who yours is http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/myrepresentative.aspx