Author Topic: Couple holds out hope their party barge idea will find a berth  (Read 3062 times)

marty904

Re: Couple holds out hope their party barge idea will find a berth
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 07:42:32 AM »
Full article: http://jacksonville.com/business/2016-05-10/story/couple-holds-out-hope-their-party-barge-idea-will-find-berth#

Reading that article, all I could visualize is Al going to Aundra like...

I mean seriously... there are so many "we could do this..." in the article.  Did you guys do any leg work at all before hijacking the Southbank Riverwalk ribbon-cutting ceremony?  To make such a claim of "what is coming" when you hadn't even cleared the concept with the USCG or had your mooring plan "shored up"...

Besides, I don't even get what the attraction would be.  You can only fit a handful of people on a barge.  Why not just produce events in the spaces that we already have around Jax, that will actually fit enough people to make an event successful.  Dawn's comment of "we can't make any money" was the only thing that made any sense of this whole foolishness!

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 07:59:06 AM »

I mean seriously... there are so many "we could do this..." in the article.  Did you guys do any leg work at all before hijacking the Southbank Riverwalk ribbon-cutting ceremony?  To make such a claim of "what is coming" when you hadn't even cleared the concept with the USCG or had your mooring plan "shored up"...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:16:48 AM by Murder_me_Rachel »

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 09:00:12 AM »
Why not just get Southside Kia to clear out some parking lot space for events?

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 09:04:52 AM »
Full article: http://jacksonville.com/business/2016-05-10/story/couple-holds-out-hope-their-party-barge-idea-will-find-berth#

Reading that article, all I could visualize is Al going to Aundra like...

haha - Amen. I think this is a cool idea, but Aundra said very nicely what I've always felt on this project: With the limited money that DIA has, this is likely not the highest and best use for the property. If they're looking to the DIA to clear red tab then so be it. But for actual money.....not sure I'm onboard.

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 09:37:38 AM »

MMR, I think you have mastered internets.

Criticizing a bacon themed party as out of fashion is brilliant and, I think, the most relevant of the criticisms. 

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:27:04 PM by TheCat »

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »
Not sure if you are giving me a genuine compliment or not, but if someone is, in the year 2016, holding a "bacon" themed anything, I question his or her marketing-savvy.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 10:15:58 AM »
Not sure if you are giving me a genuine compliment or not, but if someone is, in the year 2016, holding a "bacon" themed anything, I question his or her marketing-savvy.

Bacon is like the Chuck Norris of foods.

CityLife

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 10:46:04 AM »
Seems like a good idea to give people who won't even be living here public dollars to pull off a self serving project.....

Shout out to Aundra Wallace for calling out their BS.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:51:57 AM by CityLife »

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 02:27:28 PM »

Genuine.

CoastalJax

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 03:36:13 PM »

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 03:42:01 PM »
^Meh. I agree about the location being a big roadblock, but I actually don't think it's a terrible idea. I could see it being a cool event space for certain types of events.

I think the Emericks have a good idea, just not one that I'd throw public money at. If they can fund this privately, then so be it.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 03:50:14 PM »
I can't imagine anything like this being feasible with private money. A wild night at Wacko's would be a more worthwhile investment. Either way, you're going home broke. Might as well have some fun on your way to bankruptcy.

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 04:01:30 PM »
I can't imagine anything like this being feasible with private money. A wild night at Wacko's would be a more worthwhile investment. Either way, you're going home broke. Might as well have some fun on your way to bankruptcy.

I question it as well, given the event space market rate in Jacksonville - it just isn't very expensive. My guess is this: If the Emericks came to the DIA with a full plan, fully funded, and just wanted the DIA's help with the red tape, then I'd like to see them help. It doesn't sound like that happened here.

Has this model worked in other cities of our size?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 04:07:39 PM »
I've seen party barges in West Palm during Sunfest.  I wonder if they did any research into the companies that provide those.