Author Topic: Couple holds out hope their party barge idea will find a berth  (Read 3066 times)

marty904

Re: Couple holds out hope their party barge idea will find a berth
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 08:00:08 PM »

I mean seriously... there are so many "we could do this..." in the article.  Did you guys do any leg work at all before hijacking the Southbank Riverwalk ribbon-cutting ceremony?  To make such a claim of "what is coming" when you hadn't even cleared the concept with the USCG or had your mooring plan "shored up"...

Thanks MMR! I truly had that visual when I read the article lol...

Yeah, the way they are reacting to the "less than serious" attitude of the DIA - it's clear that they're a bit delusional of their concept's merit/value.  And hear ye, on the bacon tip... As soon as I heard "Bacon & Bourbon" come out of his mouth, the first thing I said was... "Seriously? THAT is their flagship event for this grand party barge?"

mtraininjax

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 05:40:48 AM »
Couple holds out hope their party barge idea will find a berth

This story reminds me of that one time on MJ, everyone jumped in and said we needed light rail in the River City....

Bill Hoff

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 06:57:12 AM »
Apparently there were a significant details left out of the TU article.

The Barge's social media fills in the gaps. Take a gander.

spuwho

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 08:06:21 AM »
Go buy your own riverfront property, get your permits and do it yourself. If its a great idea, you will do great.

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 09:11:02 AM »
Here's their post (unedited):

1. Activation: There is and has been ongoing discussion about "activating the river." The Barge is the ONLY immediately actionable economic development project that actually activates the RIVER. It additionally provides the least amount of financial, operational and governmental lift.
We have had access to city leadership and are deeply grateful, but have not found that "Champion" who wants to own this project and help push it through. That is what is required for projects like this to come to life.
2. Financing: We've always planned on funding The Barge privately and have so far. We've NEVER requested a loan from the city; our discussions with DIA were just part of a larger discussion around private/public funding options in which we explored different approaches in the range discussed in the article. We have a small group of individual private investors who have committed to the project.
3. The Southbank and the Pending Report: (A) The Barge was removed from the final report for the redevelopment of the Southbank even though we were interviewed and it was suggested that this was important to include as an idea which could add great value to the Southbank. It was what lit the initial fire and remains an amazing idea that would provide incredible benefit to the Southbank. Not sure why we were excluded.
(B) River City Brewery Company protested our Southbank/ Friendship Park location despite our attempts to develop strategic partnerships with them and include them in the opportunity.
(C) "What about parking" was a question asked over and over. We quickly identified a solution through LAZ parking which we could have pursued if the Southbank were a more viable option.
4. Economic Impact reported in story: The economic impact projections are based on data supplied by 2015 Visit Jacksonville hospitality/special event reporting data, economic impact formulas, and rental requests for The Barge from March 2015 through April 2016. This information was vetted by Visit Jacksonville
5. Location, location, location: We attempted to have the Barge activated for this years Jazz Fest-- but couldn't find a location downtown to place it safely and legally. There are so many infrastructure issues, a Barge can't moor up. Also, as Roger points out in the article, the current state Submerged Land regulations are crippling to our efforts as well as other economic development. We are down to negotiating with private entities of which there are precious few.
Bottom line, The Barge is a LOW RISK, BIG WIN POTENTIAL project for the city. If it doesn't work, we pull up and leave, no old crusty buildings, no broken infrastructure or eye sore left behind to remind us of what could have been. We would never leave any blight behind if it doesn't work. Check out the article here:

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 09:21:26 AM »
My thoughts:

1. Activation: There is and has been ongoing discussion about "activating the river." The Barge is the ONLY immediately actionable economic development project that actually activates the RIVER. It additionally provides the least amount of financial, operational and governmental lift.
We have had access to city leadership and are deeply grateful, but have not found that "Champion" who wants to own this project and help push it through. That is what is required for projects like this to come to life.
A little subjective. Though the cost of the USS Adams costs more, if people would hand them the cash then I think that would activate it quite a bit.

2. Financing: We've always planned on funding The Barge privately and have so far. We've NEVER requested a loan from the city; our discussions with DIA were just part of a larger discussion around private/public funding options in which we explored different approaches in the range discussed in the article. We have a small group of individual private investors who have committed to the project.
According to the article, it was a GRANT, not a LOAN. Plus, if there was no formal request, they can say they never requested either.

3. The Southbank and the Pending Report: (A) The Barge was removed from the final report for the redevelopment of the Southbank even though we were interviewed and it was suggested that this was important to include as an idea which could add great value to the Southbank. It was what lit the initial fire and remains an amazing idea that would provide incredible benefit to the Southbank. Not sure why we were excluded.
Them not being on a plan doesn't seem like a big barrier. Plans in this city are subjective, and a living document. Heck, Peyton paid Pappas like $700k to figure out why submerged wood (old riverwalk) was rotting. This is sour grapes IMO.

(B) River City Brewery Company protested our Southbank/ Friendship Park location despite our attempts to develop strategic partnerships with them and include them in the opportunity.
If this is true, this is disappointing. I think the RCBC Parking lot thing is ridiculous and beyond oversized.

(C) "What about parking" was a question asked over and over. We quickly identified a solution through LAZ parking which we could have pursued if the Southbank were a more viable option.
I"m not going to stress about parking. If parking was the only issue here, somehow I think they'd figure it out.

4. Economic Impact reported in story: The economic impact projections are based on data supplied by 2015 Visit Jacksonville hospitality/special event reporting data, economic impact formulas, and rental requests for The Barge from March 2015 through April 2016. This information was vetted by Visit Jacksonville
Naming sources doesn't mean that hypothesis' made in the study are accurate.

5. Location, location, location: We attempted to have the Barge activated for this years Jazz Fest-- but couldn't find a location downtown to place it safely and legally. There are so many infrastructure issues, a Barge can't moor up. Also, as Roger points out in the article, the current state Submerged Land regulations are crippling to our efforts as well as other economic development. We are down to negotiating with private entities of which there are precious few.
This I'd agree with The Barge people on. I don't think this concept is a bad idea. I do think that the city/DIA should help with the red tape. Now, perhaps the reason that they didn't want to expend energy was because funding is shaky.

Bottom line, The Barge is a LOW RISK, BIG WIN POTENTIAL project for the city. If it doesn't work, we pull up and leave, no old crusty buildings, no broken infrastructure or eye sore left behind to remind us of what could have been. We would never leave any blight behind if it doesn't work. Check out the article here:
I'd 100% agree with this.....if it was 100% privately funded. Unless Aundra Wallace is outright lying or the T-U horribly misquoted Wallace, the funding isn't completely lined up.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 09:39:20 AM »
Go buy your own riverfront property, get your permits and do it yourself. If its a great idea, you will do great.

I'm with you on that.

Why should the public finance something like this?

Besides, this seems to be just another 'destination' idea that will fall flat once the novelty has worn off. I don't know a whole lot about barges, but I would assume the work well in areas with vibrant waterfronts that are in need of extra space to accommodate people. I don't see how a barge would be much of a sell on a riverfront that is basically dead.

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 09:52:30 AM »
It seems like they think dropping the "activate/activation" buzzword again and again impresses people or makes them seem really savvy.  It's an empty and meaningless buzzword.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 10:28:32 AM »
It seems like they think dropping the "activate/activation" buzzword again and again impresses people or makes them seem really savvy.  It's an empty and meaningless buzzword.

Buzzwords are their bread and butter.