Author Topic: Miami Comes of Age  (Read 1594 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: Miami Comes of Age
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »
What's the estimated residential population of downtown Miami now?

MusicMan

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 09:00:36 PM »
All of it under water in 25 years?

marty904

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 06:48:43 AM »
Yes, all very true... I'm headed there at the end of this year.  Can't wait to transform from a downtown Jax resident to a downtown Miami resident!!

I-10east

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:32:13 AM »
^^^Okay Marty305.

finehoe

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 11:11:19 AM »
What's the estimated residential population of downtown Miami now?

Miami DDA estimated it at around 80,000 in 2014:  http://www.miamidda.com/pdf/2014-downtown-miami-population.pdf

FRANTZ46

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 12:23:07 PM »
No Thanks! I am good in Jax.

simms3

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 01:34:22 PM »
Miami is still so far behind the curve in creating middle class jobs, housing, or in providing amenities to attract/retain middle class residents or even young non-rich residents (young professionals) downtown.  The bulk of housing going up is still exclusively high-end/luxury housing and there is a dearth or complete lack of affordable or below-market rent/cost housing going up or in existence (which, to be fair, is a national problem affecting most cities).  The downtown area's first major grocery store is only a couple years old (Publix Mary Brickell Village, besides Midtown Miami miles away this is the only major full-service grocer in downtown, evidence that there isn't a huge concentration of permanent downtown dwellers), but in terms of the retail coming, the bulk is contained within two contained mass developments and geared towards tourists and the wealthy.

In terms of office/jobs, there is still a severe lack of jobs for young people and a lack of office development to demonstrate this out.

I digress, Miami is seemingly turning around in general and downtown, specifically, but in my opinion and in my experience Miami is an outlier of a city in this country when it comes to just about everything.  Los Angeles is so often compared to Miami, though I find so many differences.  However, LA's downtown redevelopment is much more apropos to the direction in which we so often say Jacksonville's downtown should go once it takes off (if ever that happens within the next 10 generations).

tpot

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 05:03:08 PM »
Simms3, obviously you haven't been to Maimi in quite awhile.......Publix in Mary Brickell opened in 2009, since then downtown has 3 more Publix stores and a Whole Foods all downtown....

Miami DDA Area: 1.7 Square Miles
2014 Population: 80,750
2014 Daytime Population: 222,000
2019 Projected Population: 92,519
22,785 Residential Units Built Since 2003
18.6 Million Sq. Ft. of Office Space
7,124 Hotel Rooms

simms3

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 06:02:30 PM »
You're right, it's been about 3 years.  But in looking at this I see 2 Publixes.  What's your definition of downtown?  Clearly *much* larger than mine.  I see the Whole Foods.

Point still stands, that for the amount of residential development in the downtown area, amenities for permanent residents and jobs for residents in general, downtown or otherwise, are not keeping up with "perceived demand" because the demand is imbalanced with non-permanent residents and investors to a much greater extent than as seen with other cities with more robust and traditional new-age economies.

simms3

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »
Also, your population of DDA Miami is > Philadelphia, Chicago, and San Francisco.  Big load of bullshit that stat is.

tpot

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 11:00:20 PM »
Yeah, I've only lived in downtown/ Brickell Miami for 6 years, you are the expert.....:-)