Author Topic: SJTC's Carter's Broughton Street Collection Takes Shape  (Read 2050 times)

Metro Jacksonville

SJTC's Carter's Broughton Street Collection Takes Shape
« on: May 13, 2016, 03:00:03 AM »
SJTC's Carter's Broughton Street Collection Takes Shape

In 2014, despite developing Jacksonville's most suceessful shopping center and chairing downtown's Retail Task Force in 2007, developer Ben Carter chose to invest in downtown Savannah. Here's an update on Carter's business decision.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-may-sjtcs-carters-broughton-street-collection-takes-shape

vicupstate

Re: SJTC's Carter's Broughton Street Collection Takes Shape
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 08:59:57 AM »
This is why you don't tear down historic buildings just because they are old or need repair.

Carter would have had a hard time even finding 37 historic buildings in DT JAX to buy.   

Brutal but totally justifiable statement to make on his part.

Kerry

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:05:15 AM »
^I was just going to say that.  Jax doesn't have 37 old buildings left, especially along one street.

JaGoaT

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:39:05 AM »
Put a retail disctrict in La Villa

vicupstate

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »
Put a retail disctrict in La Villa

Won't happen. You can't build new the kind of ambiance you find in historic buildings. That is all part of the draw, the uniqueness. If you were just going to build new from the ground up, you would just do it on an undeveloped parcel like SJTC.  One transaction instead of 37, and you put the roads,etc wherever you decide rather than deal with what is already there.

In theory LaVilla could develop retail once the population justifies it, but what would draw in that population? It is a Catch-22.   

CoastalJax

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 10:24:27 PM »
Would never work in Jax. I saw the Savannah development when I was there a few months ago, it does look like it will be nice.

vicupstate

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 10:42:48 PM »
Would never work in Jax. I saw the Savannah development when I was there a few months ago, it does look like it will be nice.

Wouldn't work for what reason? The lack of historic building stock? or something else?