Poll

Should an amendment be attached to 2010-604 that would keep the 680' Public Pier separate from the 44 acres that was Shipyards/Landmar?

Yes
44 (91.7%)
No
4 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 11, 2010, 04:18:46 PM

Author Topic: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier  (Read 61188 times)

CS Foltz

Re: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 05:51:59 PM »
I am not really sure just how wide a standard shipping container is lake............standard length is about 20' and I am sure that there are specialty containers that would be longer! Standard container turned on its side or even upright could not be more than 12' wide, but where there is a will, there is a way! Or just plain thinking outside of the box! Containers would be donated and surely the City can provide whatever to inplant them! Solar Power panels......composting toilets .......green spaces and pooooof! Instant commercialization and go from there!

rjp2008

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 06:04:25 PM »
Okay so you could easily fit 10 of them placed parrallel with the pier on either the middle or one side since they're only 8 feet wide.

If you doubled them up back to back running down the center of the Pier that would leave 17 feet of space on EACH side for fishing, seating etc. If each was a different color that would be very interesting.

Actually, this is starting to look very much like a basic Boardwalk/Carnival or Flea Market

So...
Baitshop/Freshfish
Pizza
Burgers
Assorted Merchandise
Games win Prize (Wheel, Dart Ballons, etc.)

CARNIVAL PIER?

Not this big obviously but this kinda vibe with storefronts down middle and people on either sides.

Light the new Pier up at night!!

A nice entrance feature

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:24:52 PM by rjp2008 »

CS Foltz

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 06:13:54 PM »
Think it could be self sustaining and cost effective? It could be whatever we make of it............which is alot more than city hall seems to have on their mind other than sell......sell......develope! Maybe they have in mind "Ship Yards Two"?

Ocklawaha

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 06:21:19 PM »
Naw! Got to keep it clear, we need "FLEX SPACE!"

OCKLAWAHA

rjp2008

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 06:38:43 PM »
I thought Peyton said he wanted a Ferris Wheel ;)

CS Foltz

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 06:45:13 PM »
 ::)Nope........you misunderstood! He said he wanted the consession! ::)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »
To be honest, this concept would struggle to be a success on it's own. Special attention will have to be given to the development of the surrounding context. On its own, it will have the same fate as the retail shops that once lined the Southbank Riverwalk near Charthouse.

fieldafm

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 07:53:51 PM »
To be honest, this concept would struggle to be a success on it's own. Special attention will have to be given to the development of the surrounding context. On its own, it will have the same fate as the retail shops that once lined the Southbank Riverwalk near Charthouse.

I was not in favor of containers in that sense... but a unique public restroom facility, which would be required anyway for such a park.  UNF does it, Jaxport has them sitting there... why not combine the resources?

The pier can't be an attraction in and of itself(not talking about recreating the St Petersburg Pier), but it offers a fantastic promenade to enjoy the river and could only further enhance the surrounding development.  A simple viewing/fishing pier that connects to the riverwalk makes a lot of sense.

I have some renderings of ideas I drew up one night when I couldn't sleep...  but take a look at these and use your own imaagination.  There's a lot of potential IMO.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 08:27:07 PM »
Yes a pier in and of itself is fine.  It makes a lot of sense and should be done as promised years ago.  All I'm saying is that the carnival like atmosphere stuff won't work without the surrounding property having uses that draw heavy foot traffic to the area.

Noone

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 08:46:51 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has participated in the poll and to Scott Wilson for posting on this forum. I called Scott today after the Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting and shared with the Commission during Public comment that this Commission should be absolutely outraged that 2010-604 was not before Waterways. Again this is Shipyards/Landmar. The Public Trust in this community is being destroyed.

At Waterways there was a piece of legislation that was before the commission. The planning dept. was at the podium. The chair of Waterways is John Cresimbeni. He is also the chair of LUZ. During Q&A John asked the Planning Dept about another piece of legislation in Mandarin that had a Waterway component and asked the planning dept why wasn't that before Waterways.

Are you ready for this. The planning Dept said that he got a call from a higher up that he didn't want it before Waterways. WOW.

The planning dept. was ready to defend his position and did so. To his credit. The other Commissioners were outraged that certain pieces of legislation are being cherry picked to be brought before Waterways.

What a lapse in ethical judgement by someone.

During Public comment I immediately shared with them another example of cherry picking legislation and that is 2010-604. It's in two Committees RCD, Finance. Its not in Waterways. It should be in Waterways at the very least for a courtesy announcement that this will be coming back. Somebody needs to apologize to Waterways.

This is another Classic, Classic, example of why the Pier needs to be separate. And according to Steve Rohan and Cindy Laquidara the city council can do it by attaching an amendment to 2010-604.  

CS Foltz

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »
I don't really have that "Carnival" atmosphere in mind! People oriented like say "River Walk" or something along those lines! Water taxi's could base out of there for both up and down the River............Fishing could take place, maybe even a MOSH branch oriented to kids! It needs to be oriented towards people and not business! You could go water oriented such as power boats or sailing..............teaching classes for boat handling, navigation and rules of the road! Lots more if I think about it........how about our very own water park? City Hall probably has a developer already lined up for it................we just don't know about it yet! Noone I follow your line of thought on why it needs to be seperate! I would also like to know just who, the higher up refered to,made that call? As I pointed out...........neither Gaffney nor Redman wanted the political fallout associated with trying to seperate the pier from the rest of the Ship Yards property! Something is taking place and the public is not being informed or kept up to date.............what else is new?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:00:29 PM by CS Foltz »

Noone

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 09:12:14 PM »
Yes a pier in and of itself is fine.  It makes a lot of sense and should be done as promised years ago.  All I'm saying is that the carnival like atmosphere stuff won't work without the surrounding property having uses that draw heavy foot traffic to the area.

Lake you are right in that the heavy foot traffic is also needed. What I hope that people realize is that and I may be off with this but our Depts are are becoming centralized.

We now have Parks,Recreation,Entertainment and now to include Conservation. Shipyards/Landmar and its just dumb luck that we are getting it back will now focus on flex space with more special events that will generate revenue for the city. If that is the plan then OK.

The Pier and those that want to embark on the entrepreneurial spirit can be allowed to do so and then be outside of the special events guidelines that are imposed on special events and be able to operate when the heavy foot traffic isn't there.

The use of containers because we are a port city. They can be retrofitted for commercial use. Sturdy. Show up and open the door and your in business.
Types of business.
Food container.
Exercise container
Art container
Sportsmans container
Informational container.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 09:14:34 PM »
CS, all the stuff you describe will involve much more than setting aside the pier for public use.  That's what I was getting at.  What goes on the adjacent property will make or break those ideas.  Just remember unlike the burbs, there is no isolated site in DT and the urban core.  When planning for something, it's success or failure will rely heavily on surrounding context.

CS Foltz

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 09:15:35 PM »
Options are limited by imagination Noone..........lots of what could be!

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 09:20:16 PM »
Noone, i'm not against the container idea.  I just think without more comprehensive planning and implementation those containers will be empty more than in use because there won't be enough people there on an everyday basis to keep a business in them open.