Author Topic: It's Time to Welcome Uber to Jacksonville  (Read 32164 times)

ProjectMaximus

Re: It's Time to Welcome Uber to Jacksonville
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »
So, who's been using Uber on the regular or irregular?

What are your thoughts thus far?

peestandingup

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2014, 05:07:11 PM »
Haven't used in Jax yet, but wife & I have used the hell out of it while in DC. No real complaints. Drivers usually here in 5 mins, pretty cheap overall for short distances, etc. Drivers have gotten kinda lost a couple times, but I'm chalking that up to DC's screwy non-grid road system.

ben says

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »
I agree that uber is for short distances only.

I use them primarily for DT to Riverside, or Riverside to San Marco, or some version of that. Usually $10-12.

I once took it from Baymeadows to Riverside. As expensive as just buying a tank of gas.

simms3

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »
First time using Uber in the states. Great experience. $10 USD from downtown to San Marco. Picked up in under 3 minutes.

That seems expensive for that distance...

The quality of driver isn't as high as international drivers (used Uber in Bogota, Paris, Madrid, and Amsterdam)... the 5 Jax drivers I've had talk too much, cars dirtier than compared to other places, don't know good routes and blindly follow GPS.

Also, drivers I've had elsewhere try to coax out good reviews from riders by doing things like providing bottled water, snacks, letting you pick the radio station, and generally not talking your ear off. Haven't seen that in Jax.

EDIT: had far better service/drivers with uberX than the regular uber. Kind of the converse of most places.

Thought it was standard to provide smartphone chargers, bottle water, etc?  As with taxis, I guess Uberx quality varies by city.  I've used it in Atlanta and was not impressed at all; haven't used it in Jax.  Uber hires a lot of ex-cab drivers and off duty limo drivers for Uberx/SUVx.

So, who's been using Uber on the regular or irregular?

What are your thoughts thus far?

I disagree in terms of quality/reliability/app nowadays.

App:

Uber/Lyft (equal)
Flywheel
Sidecar (simply because it requires too many steps like choosing your driver and pre-choosing your destination)

Quality

Uber
Lyft/Sidecar
Flywheel

Reliability

Sidecar
Flywheel
Uber / Lyft

Speed (time for car to arrive)

Uber / Lyft / Flywheel
Sidecar

Speed (how fast is driver willing to drive and does he know city streets really well?)

Flywheel
Uber
Lyft / Sidecar

As far as everyday use, I personally use ridesharing almost every day.  I combine ridesharing with monthly transit passes.  I spend ~$500-600/mo on transit/ridesharing and it is cheaper, for where I live, than owning a car.  Plus, most people who own a car still use transit and ridesharing anyways.  I don't think the same level of use is practical in Jacksonville or most cities.  Parking in my apartment building alone is $300/mo, $600/mo downtown in the office building, plus higher insurance and car payments add up on top of that.  It's easy to be cheaper than owning while still using an Uber just about every day.

How many drivers are in Jax?  What I have found in Atlanta is that there aren't that many drivers.  I had the same woman 4x in a single night while bar hopping different areas.  She also wasn't from the city and had no idea where she was going.  How is it in Jax?

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2014, 09:52:23 PM »
At the time of launch for Lyft I believe it was 50-60 drivers, whereas I heard uber launched with about a dozen or so. I used uberx three times, during its free trial period...all three drivers were also Lyft drivers. I used Lyft about 25 times during its trial period, many of them had never heard of uber.

Likewise, when both of them were operating (to be fair uber launched much later in Jax) I would routinely see far more cars available on Lyft. I wonder if that disparity has evened out...I hardly use them now that the free rides are over. (Because I met a great guy on Lyft who is essentially my personal driver on call. So instead of using the on-demand feature of these apps, I just call him and schedule a pick up time and he comes over. When he picks me up, we both sign onto the app at the same time and since he's the closest driver he gets the ride)

twojacks

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2014, 07:53:54 AM »
Although I am not opposed to Uber or Lyft theoretically, if this business model is allowed to operate, are we not on a slippery slope of decentralization?  Could not an app be made that allows for users to score a cocktail in a private setting rather than be forced to patronize those establishments that are regulated by the liquor boards?  What about mundane procedures like haircuts, meals, etc. 

Regulations do strangle businesses, and they may need to be tweeked, but there are many services that anyone willing to download an app could offer that may not be in the public interest.

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2014, 07:58:45 AM »
Although I am not opposed to Uber or Lyft theoretically, if this business model is allowed to operate, are we not on a slippery slope of decentralization?  Could not an app be made that allows for users to score a cocktail in a private setting rather than be forced to patronize those establishments that are regulated by the liquor boards?  What about mundane procedures like haircuts, meals, etc. 

Regulations do strangle businesses, and they may need to be tweeked, but there are many services that anyone willing to download an app could offer that may not be in the public interest.

These are great ideas. I'm all for decentralization apps. Which one do I download for cocktails and meals?

urbanlibertarian

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2014, 08:31:44 AM »

I think almost every adult can decide for themselves if participating in the "sharing economy" is a good idea for them.  Consumers are are showing that they want to be able to opt out of heavily licensed and regulated products and services and adults should have that option.  A lot of licensing and regulation only serves to limit competition for established businesses and industries.

fieldafm

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2014, 08:48:31 AM »
but there are many services that anyone willing to download an app could offer that may not be in the public interest.

The regulatory framework that previously banned services like Uber from operating in Jax (that was pushed heavily by a taxi industry that enjoyed monopolistic protection), was centered around the method in which to 'hail' your taxi service. Quite simply, the electronic app did not meet the letter of the law.

That's a law that didn't reflect today's marketplace (an electronic hailing method is quite simply more efficient) and the law existed under a veil of protectionism that limited competition artificially to the sole benefit of a particular lobbying group who had no real incentive to provide better services to the consumer. Comparing running an illegal bar in your own home to Uber/Lyft is just not a fair comparison.

pierre

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2014, 09:07:13 AM »
I agree that uber is for short distances only.

I use them primarily for DT to Riverside, or Riverside to San Marco, or some version of that. Usually $10-12.

I once took it from Baymeadows to Riverside. As expensive as just buying a tank of gas.

I am with you there. Looked into it the last time I flew into JIA. I was quoted $50.

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »
That's pretty standard pricing for the airport, taxi or otherwise.

simms3

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2014, 12:47:33 PM »

I use apps for home-cooked meal delivery and occasionally grocery delivery every now and again.  A former Google campus chef went out on his own and created a meal prep/delivery service for my part of the city, though there is an equivalent for most parts of the city.  3 choices to order a day, tip/delivery included in price.  There are alcohol delivery apps already, and cocktail apps.  I don't use them since I live catty corner from an amazing liquor store and there are nearly 10 wine shops/wine bars within 3 blocks of me.

As far as regulation, all major apps are being regulated now, depending on jurisdiction.  Recent legislation here in CA means that rideshare cannot bring you to the airport (they've long been prohibited from picking up at airport), unless it's Flywheel, which is a taxi app that works like Uber.  Airbnb is also in the works to be regulated here in CA.  My roomie had a friend over yesterday who works at Airbnb, but little was discussed of all the proposed legislation.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2014, 02:12:01 PM »
Airbnb is also in the works to be regulated here in CA.  My roomie had a friend over yesterday who works at Airbnb, but little was discussed of all the proposed legislation.

Hmm, not sure if this is related but airbnb sent this note to all its users the other day:

urbanlibertarian

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2014, 10:09:44 AM »
Does the availability of Uber, Lyft, etc reduce drunk driving?

http://reason.com/blog/2014/07/15/are-people-using-uber-as-an-alternative
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:12:10 AM by urbanlibertarian »

johnnyliar

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »
Does the availability of Uber, Lyft, etc reduce drunk driving?

http://reason.com/blog/2014/07/15/are-people-using-uber-as-an-alternative

I know many people who are using Lyft and Uber to stop driving after drinking. I have never known those people to take a taxi, however.