Author Topic: It's Time to Welcome Uber to Jacksonville  (Read 32148 times)

urbanlibertarian

Re: It's Time to Welcome Uber to Jacksonville
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2014, 11:16:56 AM »
Why do you think that is?

funwithteeth

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2014, 11:19:56 AM »
Marketing, probably.

johnnyliar

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2014, 11:24:57 AM »
Why do you think that is?

Lyft drivers are generally young people, personable and excited about driving, not grumpy taxi drivers. It's cheaper and there's a certain stigma attached to taking a taxi home after a night of drinking that does not yet exist with these apps.

finehoe

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2014, 12:44:59 PM »
...there's a certain stigma attached to taking a taxi home after a night of drinking ...

There is?  Really?  I've never heard of such a thing.

funwithteeth

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
I don't know about taxi stigmas, but the rest of johnnyliar's comments plays into my "marketing, probably" post. Lyft (or Uber) is seen as this hip, new thing that you gotta try, even though it's just a tech-friendly version of something that's been around for decades.

Tacachale

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »
^It also has good word of mouth that it's more reliable than traditional taxis. Around here, it's not a terribly rare experience to have cabs demand an exact time for pickup, show up late, or not show at all.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2014, 01:22:45 PM »
As everyone has said...far more reliable and easier transaction than taxis. You don't need to have any cash at all. Also generally cheaper than taxis in Jax, especially for short routes.

Josh

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
It sounds like the honeymoon is over for Uber/Lyft as far as the city council is concerned.

http://members.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2014-08-05/story/jacksonville-city-council-members-want-tougher-penalties-uber-lyft

mtraininjax

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2014, 04:52:06 AM »
I don't think Jack Shad should be going after Uber/Lyft here. While not his father, Mike Shad, who built a nice business and sold it off, Jack does bring a great love of Jacksonville to his job. If you hear the Taxi Owners, Uber/Lyft is leaving taxi cab drivers to "starve", which we all know is complete BS. I only hope Jack can find some middle ground on such a non-issue.

Uber/Lyft are great for Jax, and to tax them, make them hold medallions is joke, taxi companies need to get with the new system, not everyone wants a dingy smelly taxi for their next trip across town.

urbanlibertarian

« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2014, 08:56:32 AM »
Government protecting existing businesses from competition at the expense of consumers=crony capitalism.

finehoe

« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2014, 08:57:26 AM »
Uber announced that is testing an option that enables its users to split fares on rides with strangers who are traveling on a similar route.

UberPool works like the regular Uber service, except it pairs users up with another rider, and notifies them of their co-rider's first name. Launched in private beta, users can sign up to get notified when UberPool goes live in certain areas.

http://mashable.com/2014/08/05/uber-announces-carpooling-for-rides/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link

funwithteeth

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2014, 09:15:53 AM »
Had my first Jax-based taxi experience in years the other day. Forgot about Uber, so I called Gator City because it was the only number I knew without looking it up. I was told it'd be 15 minutes or less; after 30 minutes of nothing, I called again, only to be told it would still be 15 minutes or less. Another 10 minutes passed, I get a call from the driver who was irate that I wasn't where in Baymeadows I said I'd be. Never mind that I was in Mandarin, never mind that the street address was in Mandarin, never mind that she recited the exact street address which indicated she wasn't completely clueless. Annoyed at having to wait so long and furious that she was taking this attitude with me, I start yelling at her, to which she was says if I had called from the Starbucks phone (I was at a Starbucks) rather than my cell phone, none of this would have happened. Rather than ask her what the hell was she talking about, I hung up. Called Gator City again and canceled my ride, even though I doubt the assigned driver was going to come anyway after our row.

Then I tried Uber. The ride arrived in less than 10 minutes. A+ will use again.

EDIT: Jeez, typing that I found myself still getting angry over my Gator City experience, two days removed from it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:17:53 AM by funwithteeth »

Lunican

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2014, 11:13:42 AM »

Tacachale

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2014, 11:36:30 AM »
Just figure out what other cities do and adapt it for our needs. I just used Uber yesterday, and it's unfathomably better than the service you get from standard cab companies. It would be ridiculous to crack down on them for having a better service.