Author Topic: Revised Fuller Warren Bridge Plans To Be Released Today  (Read 28974 times)

southsider1015

Re: Revised Fuller Warren Bridge Plans To Be Released Today
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2015, 10:50:49 PM »
I live within 200 feet of I-10 close to the I-95 merge. The original design of the roadway did not include sound walls. It was not considered by FDOT until many (not three loudmouths) who live as close or even closer on the three closest streets asked FDOT to consider sound walls. The nursing home, realtor's office, small businesses, and kindergarten who are also my neighbors wanted something to protect them from increased highway noise. These decisions were made after the first round of public meetings many months ago.

Well, I wish you would move to Nocatee.  Don't buy a house 200 ft from the highway in the middle of the city and expect peace and quiet.

This is going to look horrible from the highway and it's going to look even worse from the neighborhood.  I love that people can see our historic houses from the highway.  I love staring up at one of the busiest interchanges in the country. 

I hope you enjoy your new view...

Unfortunately,  you aren't the norm. Sound levels have become quite the issue with roadway projects in the last decade. 

Don't like graffiti?  Don't paint the wall.

WTF?  Did you think I was planning on tagging the wall myself? 

That wall WILL get tagged and the first people to bitch about it will be the old codgers that had it added to the plans in the first place.

Where's that pic from?  Doubt its Jacksonville.  Doesn't appear to Florida based on the guardrail.

I haven't seen one sound wall in Jacksonville that has spray paint on it, at least from the roadside.  There typically isn't good access from the road.   If graffiti was an issue, I think we'd hear about it more.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2015, 09:10:52 AM »
This is going to look horrible from the highway and it's going to look even worse from the neighborhood.  I love that people can see our historic houses from the highway.  I love staring up at one of the busiest interchanges in the country. 

You are certainly in the minority on this. Who wants a view (or the sound) of an interstate highway from their house? You act like that is an issue of historical character, as if the most authentic of historic communities have highways going by every single house. What are you talking about? The walls don't harm the community, it is the highways tearing through poor neighborhoods that harm the community. The big issue is in the past, the best we can do now is mitigate the presence of the highway as best we can.

Also, that is not even close to one of the busiest interchanges in the country. Probably doesn't even make the list for Florida. Might not even be the busiest interchange in Jacksonville.

InnerCityPressure

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »

You are certainly in the minority on this. Who wants a view (or the sound) of an interstate highway from their house? You act like that is an issue of historical character, as if the most authentic of historic communities have highways going by every single house. What are you talking about? The walls don't harm the community, it is the highways tearing through poor neighborhoods that harm the community. The big issue is in the past, the best we can do now is mitigate the presence of the highway as best we can.

Also, that is not even close to one of the busiest interchanges in the country. Probably doesn't even make the list for Florida. Might not even be the busiest interchange in Jacksonville.

I agree that the problems lie in the past.  However, I think part of the *new* charm of Riverside is the highway buzzing overhead.  It adds to a vibe that I've grown to love.  I don't care if I'm in the minority.  I don't really care if I am the only one (though I'm not).  I like my chain link fence that looks across the three yards to each side.  I don't like privacy fencing.  I like seeing/hearing the highway.  I don't like the backside of a wall.

Anyhow, the decision has been made and I can't imagine a situation in which the change is reversed.  Let's make a move to productivity.  What would it take to get FDOT to give us an attractive wall?  We need something that matches the character of the neighborhood.  Ennis mentioned that they would probably need outside funds.  Does that mean some sort of private donation or fundraising?  I would be interested in setting up a petition/crowdsourcing account for this cause. 

Does anyone have details on where exactly they would add sound barriers?  Is that information public yet? 

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2015, 11:44:22 AM »

acme54321

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »
I can't wait for people to flip out when they mow down all of the oaks along 17 for that noise wall.

InnerCityPressure

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »
Incredible.  Thanks, Ennis!

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2015, 12:03:06 PM »
I can't wait for people to flip out when they mow down all of the oaks along 17 for that noise wall.
^Yes, anything within FDOT ROW (it appears that most of those oaks are) will most likely be cut down I-295 Mandarin & I-95/JTB style.

acme54321

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2015, 12:50:54 PM »
^Yes, anything within FDOT ROW (it appears that most of those oaks are) will most likely be cut down I-295 Mandarin & I-95/JTB style.

YEP.  I bet those trees act as a pretty good noise wall on their own.

Josh

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »
Yeah I'm not liking the sound of the noise walls along the 17 stretch. Removing mature natural sound barriers and replacing them with walls? How far off the travel lanes will the walls be?

Dog Walker

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2015, 12:55:36 PM »
Yeah I'm not liking the sound of the noise walls along the 17 stretch. Removing mature natural sound barriers and replacing them with walls? How far off the travel lanes will the walls be?

There is a formula for the height of the walls depending on how far from the walls are from the travel lanes.  The farther away the travel lanes the higher the walls need to be.  See "The Handbook of Environmental Acoustics."
When all else fails hug the dog.

acme54321

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »
8' seems pretty low

tufsu1

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2015, 02:26:08 PM »
keep in mind that is 8' from the level of the highway.  In many cases, the road is higher up than the adjacent neighborhoods, so the wall will be taller

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2015, 03:32:13 PM »
Just curious, but are they changing anything regarding the 17/10 interchange, or are they ONLY adding the soundwalls?
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

acme54321

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2015, 03:51:32 PM »
keep in mind that is 8' from the level of the highway.  In many cases, the road is higher up than the adjacent neighborhoods, so the wall will be taller

Well yeah, I would imagine all of that road is over8' above natural grade.  The section of 17 is question is like 15' above grade.

RattlerGator

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2015, 07:13:21 AM »
I attended this meeting last night. FDOT has added noise walls along I-10 and US 17 through Riverside. CM Boyer also discussed some changes to the San Marco side of the multi-use path. Instead of it being extended to Palm Avenue, it's going to end at the riverfront. From there, they've secured an easement from Nemours and FDOT will construct a new segment of the Southbank Riverwalk that will stretch from I-95 to Childrens Way/Nira Street. Eventually, it will be a part of a Southbank Riverwalk loop that will utilize Nira Street as the southern connection. They're also planning for a park to be constructed under I-95 between Baptist and Nemours.

Also, FDOT plans to start construction in a year. This thing has moved pretty quick since those articles I ran last December about this project not having a bike/ped component. Exciting stuff.
*This* is how the process is supposed to work, instead of incessant bitching and moaning and belittling. Follow the process, give strong input as they plan and have their mandatory community meetings, insist FDOT work with you to shape the project to meet local needs and tastes wherever possible.

Good job, lakelander.