Author Topic: Chinese fighter intercepts Navy Poseidon  (Read 36539 times)

spuwho

Re: Chinese fighter intercepts Navy Poseidon
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2015, 12:06:35 PM »
From the WSJ:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-12-mile-naval-test-1444348609

A 12-Mile South China Sea Test

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2015, 12:45:44 PM »
LOL.. "baseless sovreignty claims in distant waters". I guess the "liberal media" isn't the only one that suffers from bias.

China's claims over these islands are as sound as those of any other country.

BridgeTroll

Tacachale

« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2015, 11:18:14 AM »
Good article, thanks. It does seem unlikely China would abide by any ruling that doesn't involve China getting everything it wants, but there's hope. They'd hurt themselves in the long run. If they don't abide by the ruling, hopefully we support the other countries in taking a stand.

finehoe

« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »

And this would accomplish exactly what?  China still has their bases.

Would the US risk war with China over a Philippine claim?  I wouldn't take that bet.

BridgeTroll

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2015, 11:52:48 AM »

Would the US risk war with China over a Philippine claim?  I wouldn't take that bet.

I wouldn't take that bet either but it would clearly demonstrate that China does not care much about their neighbors claims and that it should not be trusted.  If I was Taiwan... I would sit up and take notice... If I was Vietnam... I would sit up and take notice... If I was Australia, India, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia and many others... I would take notice.  My bet is these counties would be more willing to accept US bases or landing rights or port calls.

finehoe

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »
I wouldn't take that bet either but it would clearly demonstrate that China does not care much about their neighbors claims and that it should not be trusted.  If I was Taiwan... I would sit up and take notice... If I was Vietnam... I would sit up and take notice... If I was Australia, India, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia and many others... I would take notice.  My bet is these counties would be more willing to accept US bases or landing rights or port calls.

I don't think any of those countries are under any delusions about China.  And don't they all (except maybe India) already accept US bases or landing rights or port calls?

BridgeTroll

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2015, 12:07:08 PM »

I don't think any of those countries are under any delusions about China.  And don't they all (except maybe India) already accept US bases or landing rights or port calls?

Who said anything about delusions?  What may be delusional is that China appears to think the neighbors in the SCS will accept China's version of might makes right...

Just found this today as a matter of fact...

http://thediplomat.com/2015/12/us-singapore-agree-spy-plane-deployment-amid-south-china-sea-tensions/

Singapore has granted the United States permission to fly surveillance aircraft out of its territory.

In a joint statement after their meeting in Washington, D.C. on Monday, U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter and visiting Singapore Defense Minister Ng Eng Hen welcomed the inaugural deployment of the U.S. P-8 Poseidon aircraft to Singapore from December 7 to December 14.........

finehoe

« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2015, 12:33:57 PM »
Who said anything about delusions? 

...it would clearly demonstrate that China does not care much about their neighbors claims and that it should not be trusted... 

They would be delusional if they didn't already realize this, which as I said, I'm pretty sure they do.

Tacachale

« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »

What it accomplishes is on the one hand, the ability to continue peaceful operations though the area, and on the other, pressuring China to ease off its claims that other countries can't sail through the area. When the U.S. held a "Freedom of Navigation" operation recently, China whined about it, but then opened up talks with the U.S. Navy, which was a good result (including for China in the long term).

spuwho

« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2015, 12:45:13 PM »
China has already notified everyone that they will not abide by the ruling of the court. They didnt even send counsel to some of the preliminary hearings.

It wasnt until jurisdiction was established that they actually started appearing and arguing against the petition by the Phillippines.

If China used its might diplomatically to work on a joint treaty with the nations involved, which usually entails opening their checkbook, they might get more cooperation.

But in this case, if they have to pay, they want to call all the shots too.

So by placing themselves on these artificial islands. They improve their seat at the table before hand.

finehoe

« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2015, 12:50:33 PM »
What it accomplishes is on the one hand, the ability to continue peaceful operations though the area, and on the other, pressuring China to ease off its claims that other countries can't sail through the area.

I just saying that in the context of the article

continuing what we're already doing isn't much of a "stand".