Author Topic: Khan's Jacksonville Shipyards Plans Revealed  (Read 147384 times)

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
Re: Khan's Jacksonville Shipyards Plans Revealed
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 05:28:59 PM »
I was under the impression the rendering would include an indoor practice facility for team.  Could that be what the design plan would have taking up the majority of the space in the large buildings with the football field on top?

You would be correct

You guys might want to check with of' simmsy regarding the average floorplate required for an indoor practice field.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Marle Brando

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2015, 05:29:27 PM »
Meh Simms has spent years here saying the problem with Jax is no rich people with big ideas now he wants to poo poo that too.

Much respect for Simms but more for Khan.
I don't know Simms personally, i disagree but respect his views. However I disagree with everything stated in his last post. Everything. I have a problem with what I feel is a complete disrespect for the professionals, experts, designers, researchers etc who's months of handwork went into inspiring an idea. We understand that it is just that. An idea. But to think that this is all some pie in the sky pipe dream, to say that a football field and offices can't be built on top of a building, that a ship can't dock there, that wood-like material can't work outdoors, yadda yah is ridiculous. I have much more belief and respect for Khans team who spent upwards of a year and a half hands on in the trenches studying and preparing a plan..you know, the people "in the know" than outsider speculation. I mean, we are not building the floating mountains of Pandora..its just a freaking field on top of a building! Wait til they start putting gardens on roofs, and towers on garages..holy cow!

simms3

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 05:31:36 PM »
^^^"months" did not go into that, let alone a year and half that you say did.  That's my point!  Lake probably could have put that together by himself in a few days at most, more or less.  Maybe a day if just going for massing.  We have people in this site who came up with 90% of these ideas.  We have people on this site who in their spare time have massed all of this out.

What Khan presented SUCKS so bad, I pulled my hair out when I saw it.

simms3

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2015, 05:32:38 PM »
If I'm the only one who sees through this awful facade of a presentation, God help your city.

pierre

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2015, 05:33:23 PM »

What's wrong with football fields in a mixed-use office/retail/hotel development?  What's wrong with football fields on the ROOF of a building 100 ft up over an area with pedestrians walking around who could get hit by a ball should it fly off?

What about Marsha? What if she gets hit in the nose by one of those footballs the night before the big dance?

edjax

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2015, 05:34:45 PM »
Meh Simms has spent years here saying the problem with Jax is no rich people with big ideas now he wants to poo poo that too.

Much respect for Simms but more for Khan.
I don't know Simms personally, i disagree but respect his views. However I disagree with everything stated in his last post. Everything. I have a problem with what I feel is a complete disrespect for the professionals, experts, designers, researchers etc who's months of handwork went into inspiring an idea. We understand that it is just that. An idea. But to think that this is all some pie in the sky pipe dream, to say that a football field and offices can't be built on top of a building, that a ship can't dock there, that wood-like material can't work outdoors, yadda yah is ridiculous. I have much more belief and respect for Khans team who spent upwards of a year and a half hands on in the trenches studying and preparing a plan..you know, the people "in the know" than outsider speculation. I mean, we are not building the floating mountains of Pandora..its just a freaking field on top of a building! Wait til they start putting gardens on roofs, and towers on garages..holy cow!

It's his schtick.

edjax

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2015, 05:35:44 PM »
We appreciate your concern Simms for our city. 

JAX

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »

It's his schtick.

No kidding.

I am a long time lurker on this site and it seems like that guy does nothing but troll the city of Jacksonville.

Todd_Parker

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2015, 05:41:44 PM »

Let me provide you guys an example of a similar "massive" mixed-use, long-term proposal for my city.  Basically conceptual at this point, so really the Shipyards and my example are in similar stage.  This is AT MINIMUM what I would like to see (scroll down for an imbedded presentation):

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2014/11/stunning-new-5m-project-renderings-overview-context.html

I checked out the embedded presentation and noticed a green space/park on top of a two-story building. What would prevent frisbees/footballs/lawn darts from being launched off the top of that building onto the street artists below?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »

It's his schtick.

No kidding.

I am a long time lurker on this site and it seems like that guy does nothing but troll the city of Jacksonville.

Some perspective to his viewpoints is required.  While he does have some insight into the inner financial workings of development firms, he is also the same  person that was afraid to ride the MARTA just a few years ago.   
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2015, 05:45:43 PM »
I checked out the embedded presentation and noticed a green space/park on top of a two-story building. What would prevent frisbees/footballs/lawn darts from being launched off the top of that building onto the street artists below?

In a word:  "access"

In 2 words: "public access"
-Douglas Adams

simms3

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2015, 05:50:47 PM »
I attack a presentation, and then get personally attacked for it.  I would expect no less.  And re: MARTA - I was a frequent rider, even after I was assaulted on it (to the point of broken nose, stitches, and broken cheek bone).  re: public transit in general, I don't own a car.  Let's not get it twisted.  What does that personal attack on me regarding public transit have anything to do with this topic?  Oh wait - nothing!  Just some people angry at me for being right I suppose.

And re: "access" - public access to roof tops/open spaces of private buildings is actually a requirement in the City of San Francisco.  There are caveats.  Usually there is a form of security one must pass by or through (for instance, to get to the elevators).  Nobody is bringing lawn darts and anything hard that can be thrown off and pose a public risk to a private building professionally managed by Forest City, the project sponsor.

You guys in Jacksonville have limited public access to private buildings and so maybe you aren't clear on how it works.

And also - it's one thing to provide open/greenspace with public access, taking measures to limit risk and prevent massice "debaucherous lawn parties".  It's another thing to deliberately put football fields on top of buildings, for the purpose of playing football.  LoL
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:57:25 PM by simms3 »

Marle Brando

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2015, 05:57:18 PM »

Going to comment on a few things in line...

1) Docks for boats smaller than 300 ft long are not protected in any way from channel wakes, so the setup for the docks is a bit unrealistic
They could slow the area down like they do near the main street bridge.

2) Too many palm trees
Exactly what I said in my post:)

4) There is some sort of disconnect, a major one, between what's graphically shown in the renderings, and the actual size/layout of the piers in place (not even considering their structural integrity)
I'm not an architect so I can't comment on the structural integrity

5) Do I see rendered wood all over the place as a floor material for riverwalks/piers?  Have we not learned our lesson?
You do or don't, who can say? It might be composite, which would be perfectly fine.

6) WTF, a hot air balloon poorly rendered in Paint on one of the slides?  Really?
Why do you hate paint so much?:)

7) The architecture - again, I know just a placeholder, but this architecture doesn't even attempt to communicate at all to the history and aesthetics of Jacksonville.  It's very blase, yes, so that's a strike but forgiveable for the fact that I'm ASSUMING this is all a placeholder, but it's not even a blase that works for Jax.
Like you said, just a placeholder

8 ) The Naval ship is going to just hang off of one of the piers into the channel current?  Someone DID NOT think that through at all.
Works just fine for the USS Alabama in Mobile.

9) Is it just me or is one of the slides completely lifted from the design of the Miami Central Station with some additions of glass and a color scheme switcharoo?  Namely, the slide below the one where the Naval ship is precariously hanging on by a thread to the end of one of these piers.  Last slide on Pg 2

10) The 2nd slide on Pg 3 - wtf.  Seriously, wtf.  "Play" is the theme.  But play on what?  An area of wooden boards and a pointless unattractive riverwalk feature that inclines up in the middle like a bridge?  The whole thing seems pointless.  "Boardwalk Bridge" is its label on next slide.  And here we go with the wood again!

Again, might not be wood. But there's nothing wrong with expanding the river walk with something like this. Great photo op for downtown too.

11) Offices that don't appear to be structurally possible as rendered given what's there now, WITH A FOOTBALL FIELD ON TOP.
Really? We don't have the technology to put a field on top of buildings? We can put buildings on top of parking garages, I think a field would be just fine.

13) The little awkward pudgy things my eyes couldn't quite understand at first are the "office" buildings poking up outa the top where people are supposedly going to play football and not kick any balls off the roof of that 100 ft high building onto people below.
14) More football fields rendered.  I guess that's what we can expect from the owner of a football team.  But wow.  Did Khan take a break from owning a team and render all this himself?  It wouldn't surprise me.

Why so much hate for the football fields? Even if you're not a jaguar fan, they bring 50,000 downtown every weekend there's a game, you can't argue that. I like to think of these as Armada fields anyways :)

What's wrong with football fields in a mixed-use office/retail/hotel development?  What's wrong with football fields on the ROOF of a building 100 ft up over an area with pedestrians walking around who could get hit by a ball should it fly off?  What are they going to put nets all around the tops of these buildings?  You can't be serious with these questions.  And then putting office space on top of that weird MASSIVE "mixed-use"/retail building so their view is of a football field, on top of a building?  Better spare no expense on the glass, either.

Let me provide you guys an example of a similar "massive" mixed-use, long-term proposal for my city.  Basically conceptual at this point, so really the Shipyards and my example are in similar stage.  This is AT MINIMUM what I would like to see (scroll down for an imbedded presentation):

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2014/11/stunning-new-5m-project-renderings-overview-context.html
Nice. No sarcasm, thats a very well integrated project into its surrounding urban fabric, pre-existing urban fabric i might add. But dude you're comparing Jacksonville to freaking San Fran! Your project and Khan's are in totally separate dynamics and you can't even begin to compare these two in size, scope, focus, demand, market etc. The architecture in your rendering is beautiful! The materials, shapes of the high-rises, and layout including green houses and public art plazas. However, I didn't see anything that differed in quality or wow factor in that, that Khan didn't deliver today.
1) The way they effectively extended the street grid out into the river focusing on the north/south vs. the eat/west was a win

2) Effectively minimizes views of the Jailhouse to proposed residents and offices

3) Creates something no other city has without a gimmicky wheel or over repeated observation tower

4) Use of low to mid rise structures creates more density+more businesses+more activity

5) Creates more convention space, meeting space, hotel space, and residents and retail downtown

6) Encourages development back into Bay St, A. Phillip Randolph corridor into Springfield due to its building off the existing grid

7) Jacksonville will have THE best sports entertainment corridor and game day experience around. Imagine the concerts, festivals, NCAA events, Bowl Games, Armada games, high school tournaments, etc that will be drawn to this iconic sports playground on the river.

8) The design itself is visually engaging and inviting rather than bold and imposing. No sharp points or bulging hulking scrapers, all smooth lines and natural influences play well of the adjacent river. It encourages activity along the river and Bay st. simultaneously.

9) This essentially gives Jacksonville a new convention center and amphitheater and accompanying high end signature hotel, possibly freeing up new uses for the Prime Obsborn and Metro Park and even the Jacksonville Landing.

10) My only issue are those FIREWORKS! How dare they paint fireworks into a rendering using paint..dont even get me started on that hot air balloon ::)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:00:36 PM by Marle Brando »

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2015, 06:00:20 PM »
Not a personal attack simms, just some insight for those who haven't been afforded the awesomeness of living vicariously through you and your stops at a couple of metros that are always better than the last in your climb up the corporate ladder.

I, sir, am enthralled.
-Douglas Adams

Bridges

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
Pretty sure Lamping said the roof top field is on top of the indoor practice facility.  Thats what the building is. 

As for the presentation, safe to say this is probably a very small limited presentation that was a part of an overall state of an NFL franchise talk?  I'd expect DIA to get much more info Monday.
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.