Author Topic: Groundwork Jacksonville Releases 10 Year Vision  (Read 7528 times)

Metro Jacksonville

Groundwork Jacksonville Releases 10 Year Vision
« on: March 02, 2016, 03:00:04 AM »
Groundwork Jacksonville Releases 10 Year Vision

Groundwork Jacksonville recently released its 10-year vision. Take a look and let us know what you think!

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-mar-groundwork-jacksonville-releases-10-year-vision

KenFSU

Re: Groundwork Jacksonville Releases 10 Year Vision
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:55:09 AM »
^Agreed. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at here :)

Captain Zissou

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:03:12 AM »
There is nothing outlined in this plan and nothing to discuss.

Just a string of words describing 'action' and 'vision'.

What the hell?

Watch it Stephen, Groundwork doesn't take too kindly to dissension.

drewshade

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »
Agreed with Stephen. There is nothing here but a plan to come up with a plan in 10 yrs. I had a landscape crew double what GW JAX did in just a few short hours ( Trees and Perennials)

Its a shame that they cant actually have an actionable timetable in a year to help with Hogans creek and Klutho Park as they originally announced. It appears they are taking their time to ensure personal financial gain, who knows?

UNFurbanist

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »
I mean I get that a lot of this is fluff and good feels stuff for the public but do you think that just maybe they didn't want to divulge every single step that they are going to take over the next 10 years in a 2 hour press conference? This is a long term vision. One thing that isn't covered in this post but was a big part of the presentation was the JTA mobility works plan which is really trying to connect the neighborhood, the S-Line and incorporate a lot of the complete streets philosophy into Main St. I really enjoyed that part. And it shows that JTA will be collaborating on a lot of stuff. The owner of the warehouse itself also talked about how he is trying to turn it into some type of hip mixed use development (pie in the sky as that may be).

As far as Hogan creek remediation goes it would probably take more than what the shipyards would cost to properly clean it via traditional methods. Thus, when I talked to Ashley she said that they are focusing on phytoremediation which essentially uses plants to suck up toxic chemicals over a long period of time. So when you hear planting this or that and establishing rain gardens, that IS the clean up. At least for now. The talk about establishing an LLC will go towards raising the funds for more aggressive remediation plans.

Trust me, I would have liked to have heard a lot more but I think specifics are going to come out piece meal over the next two years. At least they have plans to hire a landscape architect and a few other positions in that vein. The Groundwork USA guy certainly sung their praises and says other teams around the country are already planning on visiting Jax. So overall, meh.

Gunnar

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 12:32:08 PM »

Good - I was afraid I was the only one who had a hard time following / understanding what I was actually looking at here.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »
Good - I was afraid I was the only one who had a hard time following / understanding what I was actually looking at here.

It reads like the resume of a recent college grad who uses "optimized company revenue process and facilitated customer experience" to describe working the cash register.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 01:02:37 PM »
I'll wait until I hear it from Adam before committing fully, but I'm going to assume that his 'game-changer' moratorium is going to stand here as well.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 02:43:26 PM »
I'll wait until I hear it from Adam before committing fully, but I'm going to assume that his 'game-changer' moratorium is going to stand here as well.

which is a crying out loud shame considering the situation.  If ever there was a reason to invoke the GC, this is it.

This appears to have all of the qualifiers to make it the epitome of the point Rob was making in his op-ed.

While we're on the subject of Emerick and great ideas v/s follow through... How's 'The Barge' coming along?  'nuf said.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

UNFurbanist

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 03:02:57 PM »
Well at least they got a few things on the COJ capital improvement list. This article from Biz Journal goes a little more into detail.

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2016/03/02/emerald-necklace-could-have-big-economic-impact.html

Something like $46 million total for remediation.

I agree that the language used is pretty much a really flowery way of saying not much at all. I don't know, I think they are taking some positive steps. Especially getting the kids involved and trying to promote equity. I just feel like this is such a big project so it naive to expect the moon within the first year. Overall, I'm having a hard time being a hater. At least they are trying something. Only advice I would give is to get involved, volunteer, go to the public meetings, set up a private meeting, or apply to join one of their many steering committees. I just think being positive and helping is a better than ranting on internet forums.

urbaknight

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 03:22:04 PM »
What ever happened to JAX2025? All of those meetings and all of that talk, Has that been shelved like sooooooo many of our "studies"? I guess the only difference is that they involved the public directly in the attempt (by city leaders) to appear as if they're trying to do something; when in reality, they had no intention on listening to us.

At least, that's what it looks like to me.

tufsu1

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 11:03:56 PM »
There is nothing outlined in this plan and nothing to discuss.

Just a string of words describing 'action' and 'vision'.

What the hell?

Watch it Stephen, Groundwork doesn't take too kindly to dissension.

Or actually cleaning up Hogan's Creek.

(cue TUFSU1 response)

sorry...was busy working today.  My response would be if you don't like what they are doing, try one of these options:

1. Talk to the local staff and/or Board
2. Contact the national Groundwork organization and express your concern
3. Actually get involved in the organization

whyisjohngalt

• EPOCH
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 12:01:20 AM »
Samechanger.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 12:11:56 AM »
-Douglas Adams

Noone

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 06:01:16 AM »
^Does Putnam county know about this?