Author Topic: Anti HRO Vandalism in Jacksonville's Five Points Area  (Read 6963 times)

Metro Jacksonville

Anti HRO Vandalism in Jacksonville's Five Points Area
« on: May 04, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »
Anti HRO Vandalism in Jacksonville's Five Points Area

A construction worker was fired today for vandalizing the site that his company was working to renovate in the heart of Five Points, Jville's most LGBT friendly neighborhood.  The man vandalized a public art project sponsored by the owner of the building, arts advocate Steve Williams, crossing over its transfriendly message.  Fortunately the whole episode was caught on cell phone video.  Check out the details after the jump.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-may-anti-hro-vandalism-in-jacksonvilles-five-points-area

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: Anti HRO Vandalism in Jacksonville's Five Points Area
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 02:09:20 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3P_qbaYvk_Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3P_qbaYvk_Q</a>

For those of you who are on bathroom bandwagon, as well-intentioned as you are, you're not protecting your children. You are demanding that police determine a person's gender before they use a particular bathroom.

In this video, a MALE cop or security guard enters the WOMEN'S restroom and demands that a user of that bathroom prove their gender.

This weird bathroom movement, I believe, will absolutely lead to egregious abuses of power. Don't be surprised when you hear more than a few "drop your pants and prove it..." stories as a result.

I personally do not want to live in an environment where my children will be asked to prove their gender by a stranger in an authoritative uniform. I consider that an absolute intrusion into an individual's right to privacy - the fourth amendment.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:16:46 PM »
Conservatives argue that stricter gun laws won't stop shootings.... yet they seem to think stricter bathroom laws will stop sex crimes.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Jimmy

• Less talking and more doing.
    • @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 02:22:15 PM »
We certainly live in interesting times.  I understand from Steve that plans are being made to fix the mural or otherwise get it respectable-looking before 5/21.  The artists have said on social media they'll fix it much sooner.

Another brick in the #wallgate saga.
twitter.com/JimmyMidyette

SuzySpringfield

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 02:28:42 PM »
One good move lately has been the recent fact sheet of bathroom access rights by the EEOC. Hopefully trans/gender non-conforming people can crap at work in peace.

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publications/fs-bathroom-access-transgender.cfm

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 02:39:13 PM »
^^ The EEOC has been awesome about this.  So has the Dept of Education.  Locally, our public school kids can crap in peace.  And thanks to new regulations put in place this year, our city workers, too, can use the restroom without fear.

Work to do for everyone else, though.  Except for Target shoppers.  They can use the bathroom.  But watch out for pervy straight men near the dressing rooms, ladies.

AKIRA

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 03:06:45 PM »
Calling it a mural is a bit of a stretch, but ok...

I take it that it is no longer a free graffiti wall..?

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 03:59:30 PM »
It wasn't going to be.  Steve Williams said he wanted to keep the message - that's a better word than mural, but I don't know art - up for the foreseeable future.

I assume it will return to free art space again soon enough.

The artists are creating something more permanent at the JASMYN campus.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 04:14:49 PM »
Mural

Pronunciation: /?mj??r(?)l/

A painting or other work of art executed directly on a wall.

(http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/mural)

Sure seems like a mural to me.

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »
I leave these things to the experts.  Thanks, Adam.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 04:21:12 PM »
I leave these things to the experts.  Thanks, Adam.

It's intellectually lazy to rely on a dictionary definition to (attempt to) settle an argument. But hey... I'm intellectually lazy.

AKIRA

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 04:29:07 PM »
I agree 'message' would be more accurate, but not as powerful as 'mural' for purposes of outrage.

More curiosity stems from whether this is vandalism by law, or an unwanted, obtuse opinion, by local standards.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 04:57:12 PM »
I agree 'message' would be more accurate, but not as powerful as 'mural' for purposes of outrage.

More curiosity stems from whether this is vandalism by law, or an unwanted, obtuse opinion, by local standards.

A message can be art. Of course, you come across as the kind of person who tries to define what constitutes 'art'.

I don't quite follow the latter part of your post. I think it's vandalism - in the same way I think any graffiti is vandalism. That doesn't mean that the vandalism isn't art, mind, but it's vandalism nevertheless. And vandalism can be vandalism and still express an opinion - whether that opinion is popular or not.

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 04:58:11 PM »

There's no reason it can't be both.

vandalism |?vandl?iz?m|
noun
action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property.

It was deliberate.  It did damage.  It was private property.  We have a winner on at least one account.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 05:13:08 PM »

A message can be art. Of course, you come across as the kind of person who tries to define what constitutes 'art'.

I don't quite follow the latter part of your post. I think it's vandalism - in the same way I think any graffiti is vandalism. That doesn't mean that the vandalism isn't art, mind, but it's vandalism nevertheless. And vandalism can be vandalism and still express an opinion - whether that opinion is popular or not.

Akira is actually a very very talented painter.  Perhaps one of the ten most important painters in the area, (no exaggeration) I think the political slant might be coloring what is basically a bit of art snobbery. ;)

Well, if that is the case (and I have no reason to doubt you), surely he understands that vandalism and art aren't mutually-exclusive catagories.