Poll

Should an amendment be attached to 2010-604 that would keep the 680' Public Pier separate from the 44 acres that was Shipyards/Landmar?

Yes
44 (91.7%)
No
4 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 11, 2010, 04:18:46 PM

Author Topic: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier  (Read 61552 times)

CS Foltz

Re: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2010, 02:08:41 PM »
Might not either Scott! I , for one, would like to see the Pier seperate and a stand alone entity! That would make sure it is seperate from the entire parcel! Set up right, it could very well fund itself without a lot of City oversight or management...........but thats just me!

dougskiles

« Reply #106 on: December 24, 2010, 06:58:26 AM »
What would it take - or is it even possible - for this to be put on the ballot and let the voters decide directly?

From reading the last few pages of this thread - I have learned two things:

1) Your passion for this is unbelievable and I am grateful that you are fighting for the cause.

2) Our current elected officials aren't going to take any action on it.

Forgive me if the answer is in the first 6 pages - didn't have patience this morning to go back and read the entire thing.

ricker

« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2010, 05:38:55 AM »
WOW this conversation wanders...
WHO here is FOR the NORTHBANK RIVERWALK oneday-WITHIN our lifetime-stretching from Memorial Park the south end of Margaret St. in Riverside at the ParkLane, along the soon-to-be-restored Olmsted Gardens behind the RedCross next to Riverside Arts Marketat all the way to the old Ford plant off Talleyrand on Wambolt just north of the Mathews bridge? through the 'shipyards' passing Maxwell house, Met Park and OUR pier?

best way to give the downtown and springfield residents a reason to give DT a chance or ever see a successful hotel survive on Riverside Ave when we already have the Hyatt and CrownePlaza, Wyndham and so many empty condos.

As the lady at the Ritz museum in LaVilla says, "RAISE EV'RY VOICE!"

Noone

« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
If the City owns the entire parcel why separate it?
We may extend the Riverwalk one and that will separate the parcel automatically.

Its not IF. 2010-604 was the legislation that gave it back. The Riverwalk WILL be extended past the pier. You and I were standing right there when the graduate students from SCAD were giving their presentations and one team suggested that it should be saved and used and the team next to them suggested that shipping containers could be used for economic opportunity and their reasoning had to do with the fact that we are a port city and the realization that the Panama canal was opening. So what is Don's position? Does he have one? And I'm not talking about passing the ball off to Ron Barton. One thing that I've learned over all these years is that the city councilman can introduce legislation and then the rest of the council after going through the various committees will then vote it up or down.  Two months ago Don introduced legislation to move Halloween. It was then withdrawn by him. Don is in a fantastic position right now to do something. In my opinion he hasn't. We are 3 months out from a city council and mayoral election. What is his position?

Might not either Scott! I , for one, would like to see the Pier separate and a stand alone entity! That would make sure it is separate from the entire parcel! Set up right, it could very well fund itself without a lot of City oversight or management...........but that's just me!

CS I agree 100%. The Public Trust has been crushed. First it just dumb luck that we are getting it back. Not skill. It is and should be a number one city council and mayoral campaign issue. In the Dist 4 and Dist. 7 race the current representation is doing nothing. Be concerned. Talk is cheap. Legislation is the dialogue of the city. I'm only voting for someone who is going to Make it Happen.

Ocklawaha

« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2010, 06:01:16 PM »
THE MISSING ELEMENT

Weed Island, Tampa

Alafia River Florida

SARASOTA

Juniper Springs Run, Ocala National Forest

NAPLES

Either way, east or west, north or south, the river downtown needs a short 100' section of "beach". The REAL SAND on a beach, with a couple of garden hose hook ups, a secure rack and gear lockers would turn downtown into a paddlers paradise. Paddling would generate no small amount of tourism DOWNTOWN.

OCKLAWAHA

stjr

« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2010, 01:05:48 AM »
Noone, I am partially reposting this post regarding the Manhattan waterfront greenway I posted under the Robert Meyer thread as it may be more topical here and offer some inspiration and/or support for your goals for the Shipyard assets.  Note the very end of the last quote regarding a "sanitation pier" conversion.  Good luck.

Much of New York's docks have been removed and the frontage redeveloped with wide expanses of greenways, bike, jogging, and walking paths, and playgrounds and parks with a few historic sites (e.g. the Battery), museums, restaurants, kiosks, and marinas mixed in.  I still say the Shipyards and JEA sites should be ground zero for starting this up in Jax.  The Riverwalk is nice, but it is a narrow thread line compared to the NY waterfront being transformed from its past.

Battery Park Esplanade:

Manhattan Waterfront Greenway Map at:  http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_things_to_do/facilities/af_bike_maps.html

http://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/bikeways

Why Greenways?

A greenway is a linear open space, such as a path or trail, which links parks and communities around the City, providing public access to green spaces and the waterfront. Greenways expand recreational opportunities for walking, jogging, biking, and in-line skating.

In 1993, the City of New York had a vision to create 350 miles of landscaped bicycle and pedestrian paths that would crisscross the City's five boroughs and enrich the lives of all New Yorkers. Currently Parks has built over 100 miles of the proposed greenway system. Greenways answer the growing public demand for safe and pleasant ways to travel about the City. These trails allow one to get to work or school, shop or do errands, or to reach the waterfront, parks, beaches, and museums.

Benefits of Greenways

Cyclists, joggers, strollers, skaters, people in wheelchairs or who are mobility-impaired, dog walkers, bird watchers, kids and adults, families and friends, recreational users and commuters—in short, everyone and anyone—gain from the presence and production of greenways. As levels of obesity and diabetes rise among our population, the need to stay fit and healthy has never been more urgent. In order to ensure that no one has to travel too far to use an athletic facility, we are constantly looking to add new properties where parkland previously did not exist and when that is not possible, to bring people to existing facilities.

For Health
Using greenways helps keep you healthy. By bicycle riding, walking, jogging, or skating on the greenways, you can get exercise in an enjoyable way and spend time outdoors!

For Transportation
Riding a bicycle is a form of exercise, recreation, and transportation. Try bicycle riding for your daily commute and see how favorably it compares to driving a car, riding the bus, or taking the subway. Bicycles often get you there in less time, and the scenery is better! It's good for you AND the environment.

For the Environment
The fewer cars we drive and the fewer car trips we make, the cleaner our air becomes. Bicycles and skates don't pollute! By choosing to bike, you will reduce automobile congestion and pollution, thus improving the quality of life in our city. The City's environmental health is also improved because trees are planted along the City's greenways.

For Safety
Designated bicycle paths are excellent places to learn how to ride! Riding on designated bicycle paths is safer than riding on unsigned streets and roads.

For Fun
Greenways are fun! Skate and enjoy time with friends or family, walk to the playground, bike with your children… Trees and plants along greenways make using these paths a relaxing escape from the asphalt jungle. Rediscover New York City's parks, rivers, harbors, and bays! You will see natural landscapes and amazing city views missed by most drivers.

The East River Waterfront Esplanade is receiving $150 million from the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation to create a spectacular waterfront esplanade, to complete the Manhattan greenway, and to reconnect the communities of Lower Manhattan to the East River Waterfront.

Historically, Lower Manhattan’s waterfront area has been the leading shipping capital in the nation. Yet, the waterfront has altered dramatically in Manhattan from industrial use to recreational use. Governor George E. Pataki explained that reclaiming the waterfront has been a key part of the rebuilding process.

The river’s edge from Battery Park to East River Park will morph from inaccessible shores to the lungs of the city. “Chain-link fences and concrete barriers will be replaced by cultural facilities, unique recreational spaces, and community amenities,” said LMDC President Stefan Pryor. Like Central Park, it will be a retreat where people who live, work, and visit Lower Manhattan can escape the glare and glitter of the city to enjoy physical recreation and a sense of community.

As multifaceted as the communities that it serves, the design jointly submitted by Richard Rogers Partnership and SHoP Architects and funded by the LMDC will reflect the local character of each area. The plantings for Pike Street will reflect the local character of each district the street passes through.

Turning garbage to gold, the current sanitation pier will be transformed into a publicly accessible open space on the water with seating for pedestrians. New claddings and enhanced lighting are just a few of the changes which will be found beneath the FDR and in Lower Manhattan’s vicinity.

http://www.renewnyc.com/Newsletters/SummerFall2005/
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:07:58 AM by stjr »

Noone

« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2010, 04:35:39 AM »
stjr, Great addition. Our pier has been garbage up until this point. lol

stjr, Would you like to see Hogans Creek?

Ock, Nice examples of launches, Pocket Piers. Ock, would you like to see Hogans Creek?

Any councilmember can introduce legislation right now to Make it Happen.

dougskiles

« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2010, 06:36:58 AM »
How about Friday afternoon?  Weather is supposed to be nice - high of 71.  I am running the 5K at 10 am with a bunch of middle schoolers and if that doesn't kill me, then I would be up for a paddle.

Noone

« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2010, 07:04:07 AM »
Thats super! Can't wait. Given the time we could meet at Roberts Eatery aka (Robert's Campaign Headquarters)  at 8th and Ionia. My treat.

Shoot down to Washington and Liberty and then put in behind the fire station and the police station so we know that safety and security aren't an issue then paddle an urban waterway that will be one of the biggest city council issues and Mayoral campaign issues in the city of Jacksonville.

dougskiles, we're making it happen.

dougskiles

« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2010, 07:49:26 AM »
Awesome!  What time shall we meet there?

Who else is in?

ricker

« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »
me, I am!

north miami

« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2010, 01:38:31 PM »
  Regardless of the eventual fate of the Public Pier,in honor of Noone the tip and immediate watery environs shall be known and referred to as NOONE POINT :)

billy

« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2010, 02:34:27 PM »
agreed

ricker

« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2010, 09:37:46 PM »
doh!
I am otherwise engaged! you all enjoy.didnt want to silently flake so I hope you see this.
don't die or drown or anything like that and keep the water out of your ears..and eyes and nose and mouth and dont swallow any of it and other than that dont put your eye out and enjoy
sounds adventurous

Noone

« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2010, 05:16:50 AM »
People of Jacksonville just be concerned. In my opinion if you think for one second your getting more access and economic opportunity to our St. Johns River you will be getting less. This is Shipyards III just look at the poll. If Landmar had been successful with their development objectives there would have been 150 slip marina with not one slip for the Public. The 16 acres of Public space would have been reduced to 8. The ability with working with the Entertainment division to have shut down the Riverwalk 12 times during the year every year for special events. How special is that? Its just dumb luck that we have it back 2010-604.

What is this city afraid of? 44 acres. We are talking about one lousy piece of a puzzle. This is an election year. Another 4 year cycle. Ask the candidates their position. We are doing another JCCI study RECESSION, RECOVERY, and BEYOND.

Somebody ask Mr. Byrne the new director of Visit Jacksonville what he thinks should happen with this new opportunity. I can't wait to meet the man but I must say I'm feeling so sorry for him right now.
We had Kitty Ratcliff, then John Reyes, Don't you just want to shout out--VISIT our DOWNTOWN PIER.

Somebody ask our new executive director of the Jacksonville Port Authority Paul Anderson what he may think as we take the port to a new level and the possibility of a container on the pier telling the world that we are a port city.

Be concerned. I know for me personally there is no way in heck that I'm voting for anyone that is legislatively going to restrict freedom and economic opportunity. As for the candidates. Ask them. Right now I'm not feeling the love in Dist. 4 or Dist. 7. Who is your council representative? Don't be afraid of this.

If nothing happens our new slogan.

Lets get to work- Just not in Jacksonville