Poll

Should an amendment be attached to 2010-604 that would keep the 680' Public Pier separate from the 44 acres that was Shipyards/Landmar?

Yes
44 (91.7%)
No
4 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 11, 2010, 04:18:46 PM

Author Topic: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier  (Read 61571 times)

fieldafm

Re: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier
« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2011, 11:50:54 AM »
Redman is running unopposed.

CG7

« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2011, 11:58:58 AM »
I am all for an amusement / entertainment park at the shipyards, not to mention a naval ship and museum downtown, plus an aquarium at or near MOSH. I also love to kayak, bike and just enjoy outdoors. I just don't see why I can't have it all. I guess i'm just greedy.

CS Foltz

« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »
I have seen nor heard nothing from any Council person regarding this issue. Seems to me it is a case of Bussiness as Usual plus the disconnect between the Council and the public! Clean house and lets start over again!

urbaknight

« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »
Redman is running unopposed.

Ah shit!, really?

urbaknight

« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »
Well then, if we can all come to an agreement on a single name, maybe we can just do a write in to get Redman's ass outta there.

What does everyone think? would it work, or at least send a strong message?

Noone

« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2011, 06:45:43 AM »
Thanks to everyone who has participated in the poll and to Scott Wilson for posting on this forum. I called Scott today after the Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting and shared with the Commission during Public comment that this Commission should be absolutely outraged that 2010-604 was not before Waterways. Again this is Shipyards/Landmar. The Public Trust in this community is being destroyed.

At Waterways there was a piece of legislation that was before the commission. The planning dept. was at the podium. The chair of Waterways is John Cresimbeni. He is also the chair of LUZ. During Q&A John asked the Planning Dept about another piece of legislation in Mandarin that had a Waterway component and asked the planning dept why wasn't that before Waterways.

Are you ready for this. The planning Dept said that he got a call from a higher up that he didn't want it before Waterways. WOW.

The planning dept. was ready to defend his position and did so. To his credit. The other Commissioners were outraged that certain pieces of legislation are being cherry picked to be brought before Waterways.

What a lapse in ethical judgement by someone.

During Public comment I immediately shared with them another example of cherry picking legislation and that is 2010-604. It's in two Committees RCD, Finance. Its not in Waterways. It should be in Waterways at the very least for a courtesy announcement that this will be coming back. Somebody needs to apologize to Waterways.

This is another Classic, Classic, example of why the Pier needs to be separate. And according to Steve Rohan and Cindy Laquidara the city council can do it by attaching an amendment to 2010-604. 

This was 6 months ago.

What was the position and discussion of the civic council on this issue?

What has been the discussion and position of the current JCCI study Recession, Recovery, and Beyond on this issue?

Who is concerned and keeping score?

Noone

« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2011, 06:26:33 AM »
City council meeting in less than 12 hours. The Public Trust continues to be crushed and destroyed in this community. Mayor Peyton does not want the pier. Its not happening with the leadership in District 4.

67 counties in the state of Florida and we are becoming recognized as a joke when it comes to economic opportunity to our Waterways. Legislative clarification is needed.

Ask the candidates.
Be concerned.
Keep score.

stjr

« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2011, 08:28:54 PM »
Noone, playing devil's advocate, can you tell us why so many in power don't support your efforts?  What is the reason for opposition?  Something must be up for you to have to struggle so much with this.  Are opponents just trying to maximize flexibility for future uses of the site and reluctant to box themselves in with your proposal?  Are there other reasons they are opposed?  They must be telling you a reason, right? 

fieldafm

« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2011, 11:00:45 PM »
No money is a theme oft repeated.  Yet there is matching FIND money available.  My plan doesn't take a lot of money to implement.
I was once told that the main holdup would be that no one wants to spend the money to re-survey the property in order to split a small parcel off from the main site.  Yet, when I offered a surveyor who would do it for free in the interest of the public good, my offer was met with silence.

That is when you get an answer at all.  Most of the time you get ignored.

The fight is far from over, but its clear that the political will is sufficiently lacking in this city.  There WAS a plan for this pier, just as there WAS a plan for the Hogans Creek Greenbelt.

Clearly, new leadership is needed.

Noone

« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2011, 06:17:21 AM »
The Public Trust has just been crushed. This is Shipyards III. stjr, Unfortunately for over a decade Mayors, council members, historic neighborhoods, hospitals, big business have had a fear or is it more of a control of what is perceived to be unbelievable generous access to the river but its not.

The pocket park, pocket pier theme is the best illustration. If you can have a pocket park then you can have a pocket pier. especially if its at a waterfront public access street end. Not to rehash these but what have you been told? Has anyone on this forum made a call? What have you been told? Obviously nothing is happening with the leadership in District 4. Gaffney in Dist.7 has also done nothing.

stjr, who is your councilmember? Have you made any call yourself? Have you ever attended a meeting? Not to pick on you. But has anyone made a call? and what have they said?

I must say that I think I have been patient. But the biggest support and I believe its growing is from leadership outside of Duval county especially as it relates to access and economic opportunity with our river.

There are numerous opportunities. The Pier is one. But what is happening on Hogans Creek is very shortly gaining media attention that will highlight the frustration on so many levels.

dougskiles

« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2011, 07:13:42 AM »
I believe they are afraid to promote anything that could lead to a tax increase.  I have almost no faith left in our elected representatives and believe that it will be up to local non-profit organizations and businesses to make things happen in Jacksonville.  With a few exceptions, it seems that our 'leaders' are more like 'followers' and will only get on board with an idea once another group has worked incredibly hard to demonstrate its value.

Noone

« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2011, 05:23:07 PM »
stjr, and everyone else that cares about access to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River it became known today on metrojacksonville that the pier is truly in Dist. 4 and that the city councilman Don Redman can introduce legislation that could immediately open it up for Public Access and Economic opportunity. It should be announced on all the news and wire services.

urbaknight

« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2011, 04:22:55 PM »
stjr, and everyone else that cares about access to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River it became known today on metrojacksonville that the pier is truly in Dist. 4 and that the city councilman Don Redman can introduce legislation that could immediately open it up for Public Access and Economic opportunity. It should be announced on all the news and wire services.

With public preasure, and a constant reminders at council meetings, Is it possible that Redman would listen and try to put something of a sloution on the table?

Noone

« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2011, 06:59:31 AM »
Huge campaign issue as well as a state and regional topic as it not only relates to access to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River but a bigger issue of the Public Trust Doctrine.

Be very concerned and keep score.

Noone

« Reply #164 on: March 26, 2011, 07:32:36 AM »

With public preasure, and a constant reminders at council meetings, Is it possible that Redman would listen and try to put something of a sloution on the table?

urbaknight, You absolutely nail it.

Does everyone on this board realize that the pier can be separate from what is the former 44 acres that is Shipyards/Landmar? Councilman Redman can be the biggest hero or the biggest conspirator to restrict access to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River for the people of Jacksonville.

The state of Florida is watching.

The issue SHOULD, COULD and CAN be resolved before the next city council and Mayor takes office.