Poll

Should an amendment be attached to 2010-604 that would keep the 680' Public Pier separate from the 44 acres that was Shipyards/Landmar?

Yes
44 (91.7%)
No
4 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 11, 2010, 04:18:46 PM

Author Topic: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier  (Read 61596 times)

Charles Hunter

Re: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2011, 07:47:07 AM »
I don't expect the current lame-duck Council to do anything. I would hope they do, however, because if Hogan wins, I expect him to sell the property - all of it - to "get valuable riverfront land back on the tax rolls" to prove his fiscal accountability.  He has already said he will sell Preservation Land.  This isn't even Preservation Land, and has no entanglements with other agencies like most of the PL does.  Whether we recover the money we have already put into the Shipyards property is debatable, in today's market, I doubt it.

Garden guy

« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »
I don't expect the current lame-duck Council to do anything. I would hope they do, however, because if Hogan wins, I expect him to sell the property - all of it - to "get valuable riverfront land back on the tax rolls" to prove his fiscal accountability.  He has already said he will sell Preservation Land.  This isn't even Preservation Land, and has no entanglements with other agencies like most of the PL does.  Whether we recover the money we have already put into the Shipyards property is debatable, in today's market, I doubt it.
Of course he'll sell it..republicans prove themselves everytime...they could care less about public lands..thier name includes public but republicans could care less about anything public...they prove it with thier votes and actions.

Noone

« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2011, 12:19:58 PM »
Right now Hogan and Brown have nothing to do with the pier right now or Preservation Park Lands. Did everyone just read Littlepage and Thomas Creek? There is a legislative window that is narrowing that can have the pier legislatively separate. As for the current lame duck council to do anything that is their prerogative. We are continually reminded about a global market, a regional market, a state market, Our 310 mile St. Johns River our American Heritage River that was a Federal Program.

The state of Florida is watching. We are a joke. Remember its not skill but just dumb luck that we got this back.

Remember Chan Krieger and Associates and their visit to Jacksonville on behalf of Downtown Vision. Our 680' Promised Downtown Tradeport Pier is a vertical access point that will narrow the River.

Remember Fred Kent the keynote speaker when John Reyes announced to the city the name change to Visit Jacksonville and the power of 10 separate containers for immediate vibrancy and the start of an organic cluster.

Be very concerned. The Public Trust has been crushed.

So who's next for paddling an urban Waterway in our Dowtown? The issue will continue to escalate throughout the state of Florida. As it should.

Noone

« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2011, 09:08:40 AM »
The Times Union reports today that there is LOLLIPOP money in Dist.7 in the amount of $162,360 that can be used and is available for a Public Project. Councilman Gaffney could immediately use that money and introduce legislation and here is a suggestion.

1. $100,000 for Bay St. Pier Park

2. $62,360 for a canoe and kayak launch on Hogans Creek. What a benefit for Springfield and Jacksonville.

The state of Florida is watching.

This has nothing to do with Brown or Hogan.

Councilman Gaffney work with councilman Redman. Councilman Redman work with councilman Gaffney. Please. Somebody make it happen.

futurejax

« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »
Of course he'll sell it..republicans prove themselves everytime...they could care less about public lands..thier name includes public but republicans could care less about anything public...they prove it with thier votes and actions.

You're just slightly less predictable than the sun rising in the east.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2011, 10:14:36 PM »
District 7 stretches all the way up to I-295.  I do know first hand that there are other neighborhoods in the district that have needs that the lollipop money would benefit.  If he does anything with it, I doubt he drops it all into one single project.  Any idea on how much money it would cost to open the pier up to public use?

Noone

« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2011, 11:22:30 PM »
I have no idea on how much it would cost. The biggest benefit for Dist.7, Downtown, and the people of Jaqcksonville would be for Gaffney and Redman to introduce legislation to have it separate.

The Public Trust has been crushed. Its still a local issue. 16 days-city council, 17 days- Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting, 18 days-Board meeting of the St. Johns River Alliance.

Noone

« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »
If we organize? What is first?

Look at the numbers on this poll. A clear mandate.

Councilman Redman, councilman Gaffney. Where are you?

If the Pier was separate and open now.

Exemptions for the pier would be....

1. oversite of the DDA or DIA ( I've got concerns ) (JCCI study soon to be released)

2. If you arrive by water you would be exempt from any fee, admission charge, entry fee, that may be created in the future by a revenue seeking flex space.

Same principle as the Zoo. If you arrive by boat its free.

Without exemptions ....

1. Nothing will happen for who knows how long.

2. You will be told when to open and close.

Feel free to add your own thoughts. Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting in 10 days. and the next day the Board meeting of the St. Johns River Alliance. We continue to talk about regional participation, global markets.

Very shortly I want to Show and Tell the other 66 counties in Florida why we will be saying Visit Jacksonville.

Daniel O'Byrne
Tera Meeks
The Honorable Stephen Joost
Paul Anderson
Hugh Greene
Neil Armingeon
Ron Littlepage
Herb Hiller
The Honorable Patricia Northey
The Honorable Marco Rubio
The Honorable Rick Scott

Lets paddle Hogans Creek and I'll show the Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier from the water and then you can tell everyone that we can't access it. WHY?

urbaknight

« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »

1. oversite of the DDA or DIA ( I've got concerns ) (JCCI study soon to be released)

2. If you arrive by water you would be exempt from any fee, admission charge, entry fee, that may be created in the future by a revenue seeking flex space.

Without exemptions ....

Feel free to add your own thoughts. Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting in 10 days. and the next day the Board meeting of the St. Johns River Alliance. We continue to talk about regional participation, global markets.

Very shortly I want to Show and Tell the other 66 counties in Florida why we will be saying Visit Jacksonville.

Daniel O'Byrne
Tera Meeks
Paul Anderson
Hugh Greene
Neil Armingeon
Ron Littlepage
Herb Hiller
The Honorable Rick Scott

Lets paddle Hogans Creek and I'll show the Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier from the water and then you can tell everyone that we can't access it. WHY?

When you use the word"Hohorable" are you being sarcastic?

Noone

« Reply #174 on: April 05, 2011, 12:00:45 AM »

Without exemptions ....

Daniel O'Byrne
Tera Meeks
Paul Anderson
Hugh Greene
Neil Armingeon
Ron Littlepage
Herb Hiller
The Honorable Rick Scott

When you use the word"Hohorable" are you being sarcastic?

Not at all.

I'm just being respectful for the office obtained and the legislative power that can be associated with that power as it relates to a district, a city, a state, the USA.

To the Honorable Don Redman,
To the Honorable Dr. Johnny Gaffney
To the Honorable John Peyton

Somebody, please introduce legislation.

Jdog

« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2011, 10:00:45 AM »
If the pier property is located next to Berkman II (I think it is), would an exploratory conversation with Berkman be worthwhile regarding greening and walking the pier area? 

Specifically, Berkman, as part of incentives received, agreed that Berkman II would be developed. Boy, seems like a ton of different modifications to the requirements for the incentives, particularly given the market, could be altered or scrapped in exchange for help on the pier. 

Just a crazy brainstormed idea:  Trying to increase receptivity to the idea. 

fieldafm

« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »
Berkman has nothing to do with the Shipyards property.

If a resident in Berkman Plaza would like to donate money to make Bay Street Pier Park a reality, please have them call me.

Jdog

« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »
I didn't think they were the same properties.  I thought that Berkman could be waived from / have modification to its requirement to build Berkman II (or to have the number of required units reduced)* in exchange for some assistance with Bay Street Pier Park (since I thought it would also be advantageous for them to have that park nearby). 

* My understanding is that, as part of incentives received, Berkman II needed to be built.

Just throwing it out there...crazy it may be.   

Jdog

« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »
Okay...did some more leg work.  Berkman I received some monetary incentives up front.  Berkman II - it was agreed - would receive incentives but those incentives would come AFTER completion of Berkman II (looks like property tax reductions).  Berkman II started on-time (per some agreed timeline).  Berkman II has no agreement regarding completion date.  Berkman has no incentive, can not really be incentivized, to do anything.   

dougskiles

« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »
Less than 2 days before the Waterways Commission meeting... (9 am at City Hall on Wednesday, April 13th)

I know that Noone will be there.  Who else is coming?  This a lot easier than a cleanup effort at Hogans Creek and we had over a dozen for those.  A small crowd of support would be great.

Should we meet somewhere before to discuss strategy?